Dream act.......BLOCKED

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nathan, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Agreed.

What's the preferable alternative Nathan? Sitting on our hands? Or engaging in some absurd manhunt throughout the country? That hasn't been working out so hot...

2. It would take jobs away from U.S citizens and it's a
    as said in the article.

3. I like both you guys! :smoke:

So . . . =)

I think that education is a good thing. I think the citizenship situation we have is bullshit and don't believe in borders. I don't think it's possible to be an illegal immigrant. It's just a stupid idea to me.

However, there are lot of parts to this, and it's slippery for me to really grasp how I want to put it so take it easy on me =)

I'll start with a short one:

How is it not cruel to disallow citizenship unless this arbitrary standards are met?

Or rather, if hypothetically immigration laws allowed anyone who moved here to become a citizen just for moving this bill would be an outrage to the people I feel are currently supporting it.

Just because it is less harsh a system, or a loop hole to a harsh system, still makes it no less what it is - an arbitrary standard.

I hope that at the end we can agree that regardless of how we view it, ultimately this is just a ploy to secure 12 million or so votes for the next 60 or so years.

And that's already been disproved a few times on this board.

4. at least theyre illegal student immigrants :confused_2: oh noes theyz gon take their smarts back to mexico

5. lol ur right. just a little mass genocide.

6. :)

Perhaps it is a ploy to get votes. The politicians we have at the moment tend to act in their own interests except for the odd notable exception..

An Amnesty for those (that are eligible to join the military or gain an education) that are currently in the US would contribute to society.

How many "illegals" who have the ability and determination to improve themselves and contribute are being held back and prevented from being an asset to society ?

Perhaps the next Bill Gates is mowing lawns in LA as we speak..:)

By being forced to work in the black economy they are doing nothing for society except providing cheap unregulated labor for dishonest business owners. Whether there should be regulation regarding pay and work conditions is another argument...:)

The US was built by immigrants. When i was a kid i saw the US as a place where anything is possible. Somewhere that if you work hard you can make it.

Give those that are already there a chance to show they want the dream...

7. We didn't just straight up kill the natives but yeah your right. We fucked them over, but that doesn't justify what the illegal Mexicans are doing.

8. How are these illegals paying for their schooling?

9. thats what i want to know, fuck ill be lucky to be able to send my kids to a good college

10. This shouldnt have been shot down. Sending the wrong message to young illegal immigrants, instead of seeking a higher education or serving the military they will continue dropping out and doing hard labor jobs.

oh wait, cheap labor is that what we really want?:rolleyes:

11. I don't see anything wrong with the bill. Would have preferred it to encompass 100% amnesty and immediate access by illegals to gain citizenship, but this bill was on the right track. Too bad it didnt pass.

12. Not really, no...

AP, Seattle Times Blame GOP for Downing DREAM Act; In Truth, Five Democrats' Votes Scuttled Cloture | NewsBusters.org

In any case, why would you vote to give all these benefits to illegals that COULD go to Americans?

13. legitimate Military service = citizenship, college degree = Permanent residency

I thought we already gave citizenship for service.
    When I served in the eighties we did, we had lots of puerto ricans and filipinos in the navy getting theirs but I think they had to do 6 years.

Canadian navy doesn't accept foreigners btw:(

14. #34 GreenReaper56, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    No, THANK GOD it didn't pass. I dont know about you but I dont want or need my taxes to go up at all to pay for illegals. Theyre already high enough.

15. Why would your taxes go up if we are adding documented workers?

16. Bcuz we would be paying for them to go thru the process until they became documented.

17. What process?

18. This is thread is full of lolz.

19. The processes to becoming legal citizens that were suggested in the bill?

20. which process do you think costs more? Deporting an illegal or the process of documenting an illegal?