Dream act.......BLOCKED

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nathan, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Thank god, this was the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Republicans block youth immigration bill - Yahoo! News

2. Sweet Zombie Jesus yes!

Also love how it's the Republican's fault it didn't pass, while the Dems have 59 seats. Even if one Rep. voted for it, the Dems still wouldn't have had enough cuz not all of them voted for it. The Republicans blocked the bill, yet they don't even have the majority :rolleyes:

3. 36>5, republicans share more responsibility for the blockage

its too bad, it was a decent bill, i would have voted for it

4. All in all it's a good day for America when Congress doesn't get to fuck us over :hello:

5. tomorrows another day

6. What is the problem with the "Dream Act" ?

Sounded like a good idea to me...:confused:

7. why are most people so against this act? seems like a good idea to me

8. Hell yeah, the last thing we want are educated people becoming citizens.

9. The last thing we want is amnesty for illegal immigrants, and that's exactly what the "Dream Act" was.

10. it just seems funny to me. this country is founded by people from other countries.

11. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Who came here illegally, joined gangs and fucked people over?

12. Not just any illegal immigrants but those that are willing to serve in the US military and go to the bother and cost of getting an education...

Surely these are the type of citizens the US wants ?

You guys have plenty of dumb bums who are legal citizens, why not let a few "illegals" who will contribute something to the country become legal ?

13. The Reps and Dems ? :confused:

14. By that logic, we should also make slavery legal again. It's what this country was founded by! :rolleyes:

Don't Ask DREAM Act Has Troubling Loopholes: GOP Senate Aide : It's All Politics : NPR

"According to this Senate aide, who preferred not to be identified, there are weaknesses in the legislation that have caused some Republicans to oppose the bill.

'I noticed you said that the bill would allow “those with military service or two years of higher education to get on the path to citizenship.” As you probably know, an illegal immigrant doesn’t even need a high school diploma—only a GED—to receive conditional legal status. And those who attend 2 years at an institution of higher learning (which could include trade or vocational school) would then be eligible for legal permanent resident status and be placed on a pathway to citizenship, regardless of whether they achieve a degree. As for the sliver of applicants who would join the military, programs for such individuals are already in place.

Also, I would point that many Republicans have raised concerns that illegal immigrants with two misdemeanor criminal convictions are still eligible for DREAM Act amnesty. Here are some examples of crimes classified as misdemeanors in various jurisdictions: endangering the welfare of a child; public lewdness; indecent exposure; criminal threats/harassment; stalking; domestic violence; assault or battery; unlawful carrying of weapons; forcible touching; sexual abuse in the second degree; solicitation of prostitution; terroristic threats; soliciting membership in a criminal street gang; engaging in organized criminal activity; reckless driving; and insurance, healthcare, and welfare fraud in the fifth degree.' "

Are there problems with immigration? Absolutely. This isn't the way to fix it.

15. We can't send the message that it's ok to come here illegally.

16. How about sending out a message that if you come to the US and are willing to

A. Put your life on the line fighting in some pointless war

or

B. Get an education

that you can become an American...

The US is going to always be a destination for people who want a better life and at least with something like the "Dream Act" the cream will rise to the top and contribute to US society and its economy...

This is a no brainer to me...

17. Have you ever taken an American history course at school?

There are many issues with immigration in the United States, one of which is border security, another of which is what to do with illegal immigrants that are already in the country.

Neither this administration nor the last (nor the one before that, nor the one before that, nor...) have adequately addressed the issue of our leaky borders. That is a distinct, separate policy issue. This bill sought to address the policy issue of what to do with illegals already within our borders. Seems to me like encouraging this population to serve the country via military service or add to the number of college-educated citizens would be a very good way to solve this problem.

18. They can do that legally than if they would like.

19. What about those that are already in the US ?

Why not get them out of the black economy and let them contribute ?