My first indoor/bagseed/organic/LST/SCROG/LED/CFL grow W/PICS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Aerocultivator, Dec 13, 2010.

1. #1 Aerocultivator, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    Ok first off, sorry for the long unnecessary thread title. Second, thank you GC and all of you blades for helping me out. I've been a part of the community for sometime. I don't post very often but I certainly read these threads religiously. I've been waiting to start this thread until I knew I had pictures to show you and until I could get everything together. But first let me explain my grow box and my grow philosophy.

My grow box:
    • 2x2x4 vertical grow cab (too big for stealth unfortunately)
    • 3 x 23W (100W equivalent) 6500 Lumens, daylight CFLs
    • 3 x 23w (100w equivalent), 1600 Lumens, soft white CFLs
    • 1 13W (62W equivalent) 2700 Lumens, soft white CFLs
    • 1 x 90W LED UFO
    • 1 x Oscillating fan
    • 1 x Air pump
    • Emergency Blankets on walls

All together everything cost around $120. Not including soil and pots and the LED UFO from Sunshine systems.

So I decided to grow because I recently moved to finish my education. Before that I bought 1/2 ounce every Monday and me and my partner finished before we re-upped. I should also mention that it was mid's and that only once in a blue moon did I ever buy highs. So I moved to a big city and the only thing you can get here seems to be highs. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but when you're a 20 year old paying his way through school, it's a little hard to save up enough money even for a half sack around here (200$). So with that being said, I am growing for personal use only. Hopefully I can pull off three, maybe four, successful grows a year to hold me over. I'm sorry for rambling, I'll get to the point.

My grow philosophy is simple. Mother nature knows best. I am not using ANY nutrients for vegetative growth or for flowering. This is only a personal choice. I'm very curious as to how the end product will taste, look, feel, and smell. I know that this being my fist grow, I should probably be experimenting with nutrients and all but I'm an all organic kind of guy. My soil is Organic Choice by Miracle Grow and I plan on transplanting the plants into a mixture of Organic soil and manure before flowering. My grow is as simple as putting a seed in the ground and letting it fend for itself.

I originally had 6 plants growing but I decided to transplant the strongest and healthiest plants into bigger pots. I put the other two sprouts in a small bonsai pot I had laying around and put them under 12/12 after 10 days of veg just as a little experiment. The remaining four plants have been vegging for 25 days now. I keep a detailed grow journal for myself so I can monitor this grow and use it as a comparison for my future grows. Its a little extensive so I'm not going to post it on here. But I'll give you a general overview.

• 11-19-10 - Official day one.
    • 11-21-10 Day 3 - Lost 1 Plant, replaced with 3 cotyledon sprout. (I know 60% percent turn out to be male but if it turns out to be female, I will get a 20% bigger yield).
    • 11-24-10 Day 7 - Transplanted to 1 Gallon pot
    • 11-29-10 Day 12 - Calculated for a February harvest date. Upgraded grow box with ventilation system.
    • 12-01-10 Day 14 - Topped/Fimmed today. Hoping for the best.
    • 12-03-10 Day 16 - I think I fimmed wrong, the leaves are all deformed. They are developing but the ends are cut. Refer to picture.
    • 12-05-10 Day 18 - Thought I fimmed wrong so I cut some of the deformed growth and decided to top.
    • 12-07-10 Day 20 - WOW. I ended up with 4 new tops on one plant, 6 on another, and 5 on the remaining one. Topped the 3 cotyledon plant today.
    • 12-12-10 Day 25 - I trimmed a fan leaf to allow light to reach the undergrowth on plant 1. I LST'd all plants but the 3 cotyledon (Very short and bushy, also growing very slow, but that's natural)

That's about all for now. Out of the 4 plants I am hoping that at least one be female, hopefully 2. Ill freeze the other two plants to use for cooking (great flavor!). The plants are Indica dominant because they are short and bushy with short internodes and fat leaves. I'm planning on SCROGing this grow as well. It's just taking forever for the plants to grow to the height I'd like them to be. I'm shooting for a New Years flowering commencement though. I'm also hoping the plants show some pre-flowers before then so that I don't have to wait until my screen is in to determine sex.

Other than that, the grow is going great. The (fingers crossed) girls are doing great and loving their home and their environment. People really should consider growing at least one plant for themselves. The process of growing your own medicine is almost as stress relieving as the medicine itself. Anyways thanks for reading and following if you do. I'll ask questions when and if they arise, but I'll most likely refer back to previous threads for my answers.

As a side note. In one of the pictures you can see that I tried super cropping but I think the plants are too small at this point. I bent the stem a little too far and it broke. Its still attached by half of the stem and it doesn't seem to be dying or showing any signs of stress so I'm not too concerned and if I lose it then I'll cut it back and get 2 more tops. Oh and I have also been experimenting with super cropping on the fan leaves. It stunts their growth without killing them, and it allows the plant to redirect it's energy temporarily to growing the tops. The fan leaves are the plants lungs so my theory is that supper cropping them is making their "lungs" stronger. Just a theory though.

The pics are in chronological order from day 5 to day 25.

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR ORIGINAL POST AND PICTURES -->

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...ic-bagseed-lst-scrog-led-cfl-grow-w-pics.html

2. Where did you get the ufo led at, and how many watts a peace are the led's. O and by the way if you dont give your plants any nutes they will prolly get nutrient deficiency and possible die, if not the quality and yield will be absolute shit. Thats in my opinion but i have a couple of grows to back it up so i think im right. Good luck, o and go buy some nutes, get flora nova, fuck experimenting, its a 4 to 5 month process until harvest so why not grow it right.

3. #3 Aerocultivator, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    I just reread my post and I think it comes off as if I'm trying to convince you I know exactly what I'm doing but I never intended it to come off that way. I appreciate and welcome all advice.

Thank you Edward, but the only thing I plan on using as nutrients would be molasses (tight budget) and I'm starting that on day 30 up until harvest at 1-2 tbsp a gallon. You're right though, this is too long and tedious of a process that I shouldn't risk messing it up. I have seeds in the mail right now and I'm hoping to start them right after harvest, and that grow I will take absolutely no chances on. And I purchased the UFO from Sunshine System's around 2 years ago now. I bought a hydroponics system with it as well and I've been a little reluctant to use it because it is so temperamental, plus I'm not living with anyone anymore. Anyways, the led's are supposedly 3-5W each but you can't trust what anyone says anymore. I've seen many grow journals and videos using the UFO by itself and I have to agree that it reaches it's maximum efficiency when it's paired with a couple of CFL's.

Side note, I have hydroponic nutrients (flora series as well as maxigro) but I don't want to abandon my original "organic" plan. I was going to try veganics but I just don't have the money to spend on guano, sea kelp extract, or any of the fox farm nutes. BUUUTTT I found blood meal and bone meal in my closet from when I planted my garden this year. These are both organic additives so I may consider using them. Good idea?

I have a compost bin but it works with saw dust instead of worms. I'm planning on changing that after the new year though, so that I can have a supply of worm castings.

Thanks again for the input. I hope you'll stick around to see the rest of the grow. :smoking:

4. I do have one question though. I premixed my soil with perlite and peat moss so I think the soil is alright. But the girls are sucking up water like no other. The soil is dry by the following morning, so much so that I have to feed them a litre a day. Oh and when I water two of the plants, as soon as the water hits the soil, it comes right out of the drainage hole. I'm afraid these two plants aren't absorbing enough water. Is that normal? Or is there something wrong with the soil?

5. And Damn Edward. 165 different threads!!! I've read a few of your journals already but I didn't piece it together until I reread one of them. Your grows are great! and your plants are always lovely! Keep it up! :hello:

6. Heres a few pics of the two little ones I put under 12/12 about 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of sex on either but they are still very young. I think I'm going to give them to someone as a christmas present :D.

Attached Files:

7. yeah there is something wrong with the soil. You have too much perlite in it. Thats not good that you have to water everyday and it comes right out.

And why would you put your plants under 12/12 lighting, thats flowering lighting, not veg.
    You are in the veg state so keep the lights on for at least 18 hours believe me i have done it before.

8. Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my next grow and when I have to transplant next. Four of my plants were under 20/4 lighting for 3 weeks and I just recently put them into 18/6 just to step them down to 12/12 when I'm ready.

I've been obsessed with beer cup grows and tiny/micro grows so I thought I'd just throw them under the 12/12 and see what it looks like. Those are currently under 3 100w equivalent 2700L CFLs. Like I said, just experimenting.

I decided I'm going to use the blood and bone meal as well as molasses every other feeding. And I don't have liquid blood or bone meal but I'm going to mix the solid blood and bole meal into some hot water, let it sit for a while, shake it up, and hopefully make a tea out of it. So my next grow I'm brainstorming for a premix of soil with blood and bone meal, some Dolomite lime, worm castings, maybe guano, and some horse manure. But that's a little ways down the road still.

9. Alright well I transplanted all four plants this morning and watered them as well. I was originally going to wait to transplant until they showed preflowers but the roots were coming out of the bottom of the pots and I didn't want to risk root lock. And I got my screen up so you can see how much farther I have to go until I start flowering.

I promise I'll post better pictures when I start flowering or when I hit the screen.

Attached Files:

10. It's been a while since I last posted, but it was only vegetative growth so nothing too exciting. Well New Years is almost here and that means its getting really close to flowering. I've still got all 4 plants in there right now, lights on 18, off 6. I had soil problems but I transplanted and everything seems to be going just fine now. I started watering with a molasses mixture of 1 tablespoon to a gallon, every other watering. 2 of the plants are coming through the screen and the other 2 are still a little behind, the 3 cotyledon one more than the other. It's going to be a bitch when I start flowering and I have to take the males out. Fingers crossed that everything will go down without a hitch.

Here are some picture just to show you. Sorry they're not all that amazing but I don't have the best camera.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. First timer grower here :smoke:

Attached Files:

11. Oh and here is the other girl I've got going too. She was put into flower a little over 3 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

12. Ok so I put the plants under 12/12 two days ago and I'e already seen tremendous growth. I've read on a few threads that you should start flowering your plants when your scrog screen is around 70% full but I flowered a little early because I don't know which of the plants are going to be male. That way when I do figure it out, I'll still have room and flexibility for the remaining plants. Got my fingers crossed that all are female!!!

Attached Files: