The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by DutchX5, Dec 12, 2010.

1. I would say the pros outweigh the cons if only the sunlight penalties only occurred in sunlight but they are dependent on the time of day, not whether you're in the sun, so you can be in whiteout conditions or in the shade and still be hindered like you're in direct sunlight. I'm sure it's a lot harder to script exposed to sunlight vs not exposed to sunlight rather than day vs night but it would make for a much more authentic vampire experience.

This is only true when you're outside. When you're in a cave/dungeon/building you're safe from sunlight's effects.

Even with the sunlight effect the pro's massively outweight the cons for me. You also get to transform into a vampire lord an unlimited amount of times, and there's no timer like there is with a werewolf. Dawnguard really made vampires epic haha. Love that game

3. Yeah it is great at night and inside, I just don't like not ever being effective outside during the day.

4. Hm, depends on how you develop your character.

Invest in the restoration skill and you can restore your own health and stamina. Invest in enchanting and you can enchant armour/jewellery/clothing to regenerate health/stamina/magicka.

Alternatively, you could invest in alchemy to make potions that restore health/stamina/magicka.

You could even come across enchanted items that regenerate your stats for you.

Vampire bonuses basically scream at your character being shaped around a mage/spellsword/assassin type build, so you should have some kind of background in magicka and alchemy stats/perks. There's plenty of ways to make the game fit around your character, another reason why Skyrim is so awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Yep. Have Dawnguard and played the questline, still hate vampires. If you practice enough magic you can basically do everything you listed, without the penalties to health, magicka, and stamina regen in sunlight.

Vampire lord form is incredibly weak compared to werewolf, and not really very useful IMO

6. Fair enough, everyone has their own playstyles, and also true you can use magicka for pretty much anything. Vampirism is simply an option for a playstyle, one I have alot of fun with.

Incidentally, I think Dawnguard does alot for Restoration magic too, it can be used offensively now which is awesome. Nothing like blowing up vampires with a sunfire spell haha

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. How do the 3 expansions work in this game?

Do they add new lands to explore, or just cram more content into the existing world? When should i get them? After i finish all the original content or now?

Im 70hrs into it and i feel like ive barely done anything so far. I definitely dont want to skip these expansions tho

Sent from my Eris using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. You should get them asap. Dawnguard adds an additional vampire questline, expands what you can do as a vampire and werewolf by adding skill trees and the vampire lord form, and makes arrows craftable. Hearthfire adds three plots of land you can purchase and build a house on as well as the ability to adopt children. Dragonborn adds Solstheim which is an island about a fifth of the size of skyrim with its own questlines and many side quests as well as a house you can acquire in the city of Raven Rock. Also new items, spells, and shouts are introduced by Dawnguard and Dragonborn

Buy all of the expansions and start a new game. Starting at lvl 70 would feel a little cheap to me. I think you can start Dawnguard at lvl 10, but I advise not starting the Dragonborn questline until around lvl 30. Anyway, I digress:

Dawnguard adds:

A new questline
    Choice of joining a faction of vampires or vampire hunters
    Unlocks a new beast form: Vampire Lord (if you side with Vampires) This has its own perk tree and spells
    Adds a perk tree for Werewolves which makes them quite effective now
    Adds extra spells, and some offensive Restoration spells, which are quite fun to play with might I add
    New weapons and armour
    At stage 4 vampirism you will no longer be attacked by NPC's and you can interact as normal with them
    New Dragon shouts (and a new dragon)
    New enemies
    The ability to craft new items

Hearthfire adds:

Three plots of land which you can build houses upon
    The ability to adopt children as your own
    I think it adds a few new items as well, not entirely sure. Mainly building materials.

Dragonborn adds:

A new questline
    A new island to explore
    New weapons and armour
    New enemies
    New spells
    A new house
    New dragon shouts
    Black Book questlines which, when completed, give you some handy abilities
    It's worth mentioning that Dragonborn is very morrowind-esque

I'd definitely advise buying them all, makes Skyrim even more amazing. 

10. Thanks for the replies guys. Im only level 24 atm so i dont think ill be too strong for the expansions.

Sounds like theres gonna be a shit ton more stuff for me to do lol. I only play this game on weekends when i have 2+ hours a day to play it, so sounds like ill be playing this game for a couple years.

Also, whats a good way to make money? I tried smithing last weekend after i bought my first house in Whiterun and i have lost money doing it. The only way i see to profit is by getting all the leather/ore in the wild myself to make stuff, but thats pretty tideous.

Also, how expensive do items get at shops? The most expensive thing ive seen was like 2400 before price reducing items are equipped. If shit doesnt get much more expensive, i dont mind going out and gathering the materials myself. Oh and ive tried the transmute spell, but silver ore is so cheap.. that and the fact itll turn into gold ore if i recast the spell... too tedius to cast 1 spell then store the ore and recast

11. Avoid buying materials for crafting. It kills your profit margin. Steal precious gems, transmute ore, and then craft jewelry with gems in it. Much higher return and it clears the stolen mark from the gem. Actually steal all your materials if you can because you can launder them by crafting. If you have a specific gem that can yield you a high price piece of jewelry if combined with silver then do transmute, drop one silver, transmute, pick it up and smelt to ingot and then craft. Otherwise just always make gold jewelry. Also join thieves guild in Riften if you haven't already since there's plenty of gold to be had there.

12. Ok thanks. My pickpocket is level 0 so ill have to start muggin fools lol

13. Pickpocket is kind of a pain in the ass to level up so I mostly rob houses and strong boxes. Also I forgot to say this but a good habit to get into is donating 1 gold to a beggar before selling off your inventory because the gift of charity gives you a bonus to speechcraft which affects how much you buy/sell goods for.

14. Great tips. How do i find beggars?

15. Most cities have one. Degaine in Markarth hangs out by the entrance to the city in front of the inn usually. Brenuin in Whiterun hangs out pretty much all over town. There is a lady in Windhelm that teaches pickpocket and is a beggar and can be found usually warming her hands in front of the palace. Also you can donate at temples too.

16. Should I bother getting any DLC? Which one?

I've played it so much that I know every location so one that adds a bunch of places to go to would be best

17. They're all worth buying but you would appreciate Dragonborn the most. It adds a whole new island about a fifth the size of the mainland.

18. Oh and also, this prick from the Companions, i forget his name but any time i come near Jorvaskr, he starts following me and starting conversations, interrupting whatever im doing. Only way he stops is if i fast travel somewhere, but thats only a temporary fix.

Hell, one time a dragon appeared at the Whiterun stables so all the gaurds came out to help along with the Companion guy (i fight dragons on Legendary difficulty, the only way the fights are satisfying..) and after the dragon was dead, he started harrassing me again lol...

Any idea how ro fix this?

Oh and i tried going to jail too, but that didnt fix him

Enchanting. Find items, enchant them and sell them for much more than they were originally worth. 

All of them. They add so much to the game.

20. #10400 PigBenis696969, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Are there an infinite amount of dragons to fight in the game?

Some quest npc mentioned something about the Dragonborn supposed to kill the main dragon, Alduin, and not just kill every dragon until theyre extinct...

Im hoping they are infinite because theyre my favorie part of the game

Edit: i know ive been asking so many questions lol, but i havent read any guides on the game