Sentient fungi?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Rane, Oct 16, 2005.

1. From here

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this, particularly people who have shroomed before.

2. has no one replied to this yet just because it's a big read and the title doesnt appeal to big post readers?

3. Amazing. Thanks Rane for posting it and Digit for bumping it.

I am definitely guilty of overlooking that whole kingdom; all I ever seem to work with is fruit flies. :eek:

Damn.

4. i really enjoyed that. its not a far stretch for myself to consider the balancing and configurations of the natural eco-systems to have an "intellect." might this have some part in a natural selection? mycelium are wonderful.:D

edit: as for you digit, i missed because (a.)i wasnt here at the time. or (b.)apparently havent found all my interested posts yet.

5. Mushrooms are the first organism to <O =""></O>

restart an ecosystem after catastrophes like tornadoes or forest fires,....

creating a life generation domino effect <O =""></O>

that underscores the possibility of using fungi for creating habitats on <O =""></O>

other worlds.

very interesting. creating life on other planets with, mushrooms. i wonder if they could biologically engineer mushrooms to do specific things.

6. ^ more than likley, i could see them putting some form of organism inside a mushroom.. "life" per say, and launch it to a planet..... that would be kind of badass... seeing what life would evolve like on a totally different planet under totally different circumstances.... might give us a clue as to how we got here too..... that would be an amazing expierment....

7. and because we can so easily think up these ideas and see the potential, it has already been done.

spores can survive for thousands of years in the vaccum of space, maybe billions and billions?

each mushroom can launch millions of spores and it only takes one to kick the whole thing off.

now thats life technology for ya. the little robots are way behind.

as for the inteligence....

the mushrooms that poke up above the surface have been likened to the sexual organ, in that they spread the seed.

so when you eat these mushrooms, it's kinda like an interspecies sexual activity. much like bees and flowers. and i suspect, just like the bees, we don't see it as a sexual thing at all, we just get all kinds of chemicals that make for a very enjoyable/valuable experience.

the analogy between the structures of the mushroom latice, the brain pathways, and the internet is very accurate indeed, and if one were to zoom out and vew the whole universe from a very large lense way "out there" you would see something quite similar, a cross between this familiar latice structure and swiss cheese created from the possitioning of the galaxies. or at least, you would if light traveled fast enough or were seeing in a fuller spectrum.

8. What this article is saying is that we should eradicate the fungi menace before its intelligence surpases our own... and destroys us all!

9. its too late! its too late!

:laughing:

but seriously, if anyone wanted to erradicate the great latice entity, why, they're not just destroying the mushroom, they're destroying our brains, the internet, the universe! everything! its stupidity extreme! just because we do not understand the multi-dimensional interconnectedness of everything doesn't mean we have to fear it, or destroy it, no, the best way i know of defeating the fear of the unknown is simply to make it known.

but try explaining that to the police man as he shines a torch in your dialated pupil as you swallow another handfull of mushrooms in the middle of the night caught in the middle of a feild just out of town. :p

10. [​IMG] we

are not alone, imagine that the possibility of hearing voices, wireless and static are ways fungus can react, even kill a section of forest controlled for more food, why not learn and distract from the population, who knows they live long periods as far as I have read, and only get bigger, we can work together again. Instead of denying our nature and the possibility of remote control being first organic.

11. [​IMG]

ever see a walking seeing cat with eyes like that?

12. in my 2 decades on the internet I don't think I've ever seen someone necro a 9 year old thread. well done

13. Not that this is mushroom related.. but what is odd about those eyes? Cause they look perfectly normal for a walking seeing cat. Large pupils because it is dark.. along with light from the camera flash reflecting back at the camera.