Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Sentient fungi?

• Please log in to reply

Rane

Rane

Entheobotanist wannabe

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
From here

Fungal Intelligence<o =""></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>

Stamets has a few things working against him, especially when promoting <o =""></o>

his ideas in the mental lockdown of 21st century America. He did, after <o =""></o>

all, conduct now famous research on psilocybin hallucinogenic mushrooms <o =""></o>

at Evergreen State College in the late 1970s. And he wrote "Psilocybin <o =""></o>

Mushrooms of the World."<o =""></o>

What's more, to conservative minds, the trippy-dippiness of some of his<o =""></o>

ideas can come off as silliness. In one breath, for example, he ticks <o =""></o>

off a riveting observation that neurological landscape looks like <o =""></o>

mycelium or that brain neurons and the Internet share mycelia's basic <o =""></o>

structural arrangements. In another he talks of "fungal intelligence" or <o =""></o>

ability to use spores to put life on other planets.<o =""></o>

In the draft of his new book, "Mycelium Running: Growing Mushrooms to <o =""></o>

Heal People and Planet." Stamets writes that, "The mycelium is an <o =""></o>

exposed sentient membrane, aware and responsive to changes in its <o =""></o>

environment. I especially feel this when I enter a forest after a <o =""></o>

rainfall. Interlacing mycelial membranes form, I believe, a complex <o =""></o>

neuron-like web that acts as a fungal collective consciousness."<o =""></o>

Whether or not corporate investors will ever vibe with the fungal <o =""></o>

collective consciousness, Stamets says his ideas are helped by a shift <o =""></o>

in scientific culture that's more accepting of non-western, natural <o =""></o>

solutions to problems.<o =""></o>

And he's never short of evidence to back his theories.<o =""></o>

"The idea that a cellular organism demonstrates intelligence may seem <o =""></o>

radical if not for work by researchers like Toshuyiki Nakagami, <o =""></o>

published in Nature 2000," Stamets writes. "He placed a maze over the <o =""></o>

nutrient agar filled Petri dish and introduced nutritious oat flakes at <o =""></o>

the entrance and exit. He then inoculated the entrance with a culture of <o =""></o>
the slime mold Physarum polycephallum under sterile conditions. It grew <o =""></o>
through the maze and consistently chose the shortest route to the oat <o =""></o>

flakes at the end. Rejecting dead-ends, the slime mold demonstrated, <o =""></o>

according to the researchers, a form of intelligence."<o =""></o>

That intelligence, according to Stamets, might one day be used to extend <o =""></o>

life throughout the solar system. Mushrooms are the first organism to <o =""></o>

restart an ecosystem after catastrophes like tornadoes or forest fires,<o =""></o>

popping up from the ground to return nutrients back to the food chain. <o =""></o>

The mushrooms' scent attracts insects which then attracts birds and <o =""></o>

animals that bring in seeds, creating a life generation domino effect <o =""></o>

that underscores the possibility of using fungi for creating habitats on <o =""></o>

other worlds.<o =""></o>

For now, his most secure convictions are planted here on Earth.<o =""></o>

"I believe ecosystems are conscious," he says. "These mycelia networks, <o =""></o>

like the Internet, share information on changes in the environment such <o =""></o>

as the availability of new food sources or responses to cataclysmic <o =""></o>

changes. So really these are information sharing networks. I think they <o =""></o>

are microneurological networks and I think science will prove they have <o =""></o>

a form of consciousness that we do not recognize."

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this, particularly people who have shroomed before.

Digit

Digit

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 7,827 posts
has no one replied to this yet just because it's a big read and the title doesnt appeal to big post readers?

runner's high

runner's high

4:20 Miler

• Gold Member
  • 239 posts

naku06

naku06

Lye & Open sores

• Bronze Member
  • 2,306 posts

Maitereya

Maitereya

bohemian

• Old School
  • 1,127 posts
Mushrooms are the first organism to <O =""></O>

restart an ecosystem after catastrophes like tornadoes or forest fires,....

creating a life generation domino effect <O =""></O>

that underscores the possibility of using fungi for creating habitats on <O =""></O>

other worlds.

very interesting. creating life on other planets with, mushrooms. i wonder if they could biologically engineer mushrooms to do specific things.

Smoken Souljah

Smoken Souljah

• Registered Upgraded
  • 657 posts
^ more than likley, i could see them putting some form of organism inside a mushroom.. "life" per say, and launch it to a planet..... that would be kind of badass... seeing what life would evolve like on a totally different planet under totally different circumstances.... might give us a clue as to how we got here too..... that would be an amazing expierment....

Digit

Digit

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 7,827 posts
and because we can so easily think up these ideas and see the potential, it has already been done.

spores can survive for thousands of years in the vaccum of space, maybe billions and billions?

each mushroom can launch millions of spores and it only takes one to kick the whole thing off.

now thats life technology for ya. the little robots are way behind.

as for the inteligence....

the mushrooms that poke up above the surface have been likened to the sexual organ, in that they spread the seed.

so when you eat these mushrooms, it's kinda like an interspecies sexual activity. much like bees and flowers. and i suspect, just like the bees, we don't see it as a sexual thing at all, we just get all kinds of chemicals that make for a very enjoyable/valuable experience.

the analogy between the structures of the mushroom latice, the brain pathways, and the internet is very accurate indeed, and if one were to zoom out and vew the whole universe from a very large lense way "out there" you would see something quite similar, a cross between this familiar latice structure and swiss cheese created from the possitioning of the galaxies. or at least, you would if light traveled fast enough or were seeing in a fuller spectrum.

AndyPL

AndyPL

Spaced Cowboy

• Old School
  • 1,050 posts
What this article is saying is that we should eradicate the fungi menace before its intelligence surpases our own... and destroys us all!

Digit

Digit

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 7,827 posts
its too late! its too late!

:laughing:

but seriously, if anyone wanted to erradicate the great latice entity, why, they're not just destroying the mushroom, they're destroying our brains, the internet, the universe! everything! its stupidity extreme! just because we do not understand the multi-dimensional interconnectedness of everything doesn't mean we have to fear it, or destroy it, no, the best way i know of defeating the fear of the unknown is simply to make it known.

but try explaining that to the police man as he shines a torch in your dialated pupil as you swallow another handfull of mushrooms in the middle of the night caught in the middle of a feild just out of town. :P

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)