Apocalypse Now Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ILoveSpaghetti, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Actor, and former Marine, Harvey Keitel, was originally hired to play Captain Willard, the man assigned to terminate Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), and went to the Philippines for the initial filming, but was replaced by director, Francis Ford Coppola, with Martin Sheen.  

2. im watching this for the first time now and this is DOPE! much different then platoon and other vietnam movies i love

3. One of my favorite movies of all time. Havent watched it blazed tho :(. I can watch it over and over again.

4. I liked the movie. But it is long. But my thing with this movie us I'm really into or I'm not. It depends when or who I watch it with. I love this movie. Even if it was a huge trigger for my depression and cutting. But I do love in the movie. When sheen ask questions to soldiers and gets the most basic answer back. Like when there at the bridge after roach shots that gook on the wire. And sheen asks him soldier do you know who's in charge here. And roach looks at him and says. Yeah. And walks away without another word.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

5. I watched this for the first time a couple days ago, very surreal. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard "Charlie don't surf" and realized where it came from. Everything about this movie was great, the slow push to insanity further they went up the river. I also enjoyed the theme of what is really civilized. How is the book? Does it share similar themes of insanity?

In case anyone didn't know, they shot the movie in a real war zone and Martin Sheen had a heart in the middle of the jungle while filming it.

6. Favorite movie. I saw the redux first, and when i watched the original I noticed the difference heavily. Incredible cinematography, great acting and actors; every time I watch it I'm seeing it differently.

Sent from my N810 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #27 Spriggan, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    fun facts:
    Martin sheen had a heart attack during the making, and, director Francis had a seizure through the accusation that he was responsible for the stress martin was under.
    Also, marlon brando was severely overweight during the film, and was filmed in a black robe which blended his body with the background to help disguise his belly.
    One more thing. at one point, the decision was made to hang real corpses from the trees in an effort to create a further disturbing and "real" effect. Luckily the decision was overthrown.

• Like Like x 1
  8. it wasn't filmed in or during the war. Officially, George Lucas was going to film it in/during Vietnam but Coppola filmed it in the Philippines.

9. They're always in a civil war.

10. Sorry, i assumed you were referring to the vietnam war itself.

11. All I have to say is "Charlie Don't Surf!"

12. Air cav bitchez!!!

I love where they steal Kilgores favorite board and he uses helicopters to try and find them.

The part where chef freaks out and rips most of his clothes off after they get chased by a tiger in the forest.

The part where they chop that water buffaloes head off is fucking AWESOME!!! Just unzips it right off of its body, FUCK ME BRUTAL!

13. It had me at the opening scene.

14. Col. Kilgore is probably my favorite of the minor characters

I love when he's in the helicopter pleading with Lance to return his surfboard