Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How-to: Paleo's Potent Decarboxylated Cannabis Oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Paleo Edibles, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Got another question that could use some clarity. Do I need to break down the bud before microwaving? Or can I just throw a nice nug in and go?

2. :laughing: You must really be smoking up a storm :laughing:

3. There ya go.;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1

4. yea arent you lol

5. That's what I was thinking. lol...
    the dude needs atleast a skyline GTR or a ferrari to run his oven. :eek:

6. I was gonna ask if it came with mag wheels or what? :eek:

But I decided to just let it go:smoking:

7. Hey Paleo Edibles fucking awesome guide. With the ABV how much would be needed if I ate it straight compared to your method of infusing it with another soluble fat? could you just stir the Decarboxylated bud into a soluble fat with no heat applied. I'm just trying to get the best method with as little smell because living in a dorm can be a bother when trying to cook.
    Cheers

8. Thanks for answering that question for me Jedi. I reccomend using scissors to chop small nugs that can be tested by crumbling, to determine if it's been fully decarboxylated.

ABV will still work eaten straight, or mixed with a fat with no heat applied - which is better than no fat. However, both of these methods keep the overall bioavailability of the cannabinoids low.

When fry ABV into your fat, it's extracting the cannabinoids into the fat, where they are well lubricated. If you're not heating your mixture, and you just eat the vaped bud and oil together, the cannabinoids arent fully lubricated by the oil as they pass through the hostile environment of your stomach and gastrointestinal tract.

Infusing the cannabinoids into oil also minimizes first pass metabolism. So heat absolutely will make your edibles work better, but since decarboxylation already occured during your vape sessions, you would still feel something if you ate the ABV/oil without heat, or without any oil period.

9. Thanks for the prompt reply. Man you really seem to know all the science behind getting high :smoke:
    Lastly is there anyway to minimize the smell from the cooking process? Would love to make a batch to try this out.

10. #50 Paleo Edibles, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    Next time you fry, this is what I do, raise the temp real high, let the oil and cannabis get hot, once it starts simmering and frying, and some smoke starts coming up, grab a glove and take it outside, let the smoke dissipate outside. You can just set the pot on the ground or whatever and continue to stir it. It's still frying, but it's not smoking up your house!

Once it cools down, about 5 to 10 minutes later, repeat the process, heat until it's frying, and just go outside again. I did this and it reduced the smell in the house by about 70 percent.

So basically high heat, as soon as its frying, take it outside to fry for a few minutes, stirring. Once its not frying anymore bring it back in and do it again.

11. hey paleo, you think i could get a quick how to on decarboxylate an oz of bud?

12. With scissors, cut up the bud into small nugs that you can use later to test the crumble. Preheat your oven at 250. On a pan, spread your cannabis about, maximizing surface area. Place into oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, check for smell, which is terpenes releasing, and check crumble.

You'll know it's ready when the cannabis smells more potent and skunky than before, and when the small nugs you cut crumble with the pressure from your index finger and thumb. When in doubt, an extra 10 minutes at a safe temperature (250) will only help. I always decarboxylate to an extra degree by taking extra time, better to be safe then sorry.

Might as well add this information about lard that I sent in a PM to TokeitnBakeit:

LARD

Lard can be cooked with any meat, and its good to fry in. potatoes fried in lard, thats what they call chips in the UK. If youre going to use lard for your cannabis edibles I only recommend it if you like how it tastes by itself, and you eat it the way I do in the thread. Reason being, it would taste weird in brownies, and would probably not go well on any sweets in general. Lard works for meats and broths, soups and stocks.

I eat tablespoons of cannabis infused lard with my steak meals, but thats because I've learned that saturated fat is the healthiest fat, because we've been eating it for millenia. It has large amount of saturated and monounsaturated fat. I try to keep my diet at around 65-70% fat, 25% protien and 5-10% carbs. Now that I think about it, I wouldnt eat my infused lard any other way then straight with meat, or possibly soup.

Lard is such a cheap fat, like a dollar a pound, compared to olive oil or coconut oil. Not to mention it's perfect for for frying or cooking, since it has no particles like unrefined coco/olive oil, and tastes great on potatoes and plant foods. If I want to fry some potatoes, cook some meat with bell peppers, onion, or any other vegetables, I always use lard.

13. #53 xxMESTxx, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    hey, i appreciate it man, so 20 mins in the oven, then test, would you recommend stirring them around between the 20 minute and the precautionary 10 minute period?

edit: oh and i was reading in hashmoufs cannabutter thread, im not so much worried as burning up the thc as i am burning the butter itself, i guess im just curious what your finished product looks like and if frying the weed completley brown will make my product go from looking green to brown?

14. I would recommend stirring after the 20 minute mark. The extra time after the 20 minute mark can be up to 30 minutes, depending on how well your bud's been decarboxylated. Also I forgot to mention that periodically opening your oven is a good idea.

During the frying process it's exteremely hard to burn butter. You would have to go out of your way to burn it, actually. Butter, like all oils, becomes liquid, and is a very good lubricator, so if you are stirring, and the cannabis is frying, it shouldn't be at a temperature that would burn the butter. When you're doing this use flash frying: heat to a high temperature then remove heat and let it fry itself while it cools down, that way you never pass a certain threshold of heat.

Set the flame on medium high, and when you see that the oil is cooking the butter, remove the heat(optional to go outside so not to stink up house) until the butter stops frying the cannabis, when you'll need to apply heat, again. Rinse repeat.

Basically, I've never burned any oil or fat while doing this, but if you're worried it's okay to add a little bit of water, but not so much that you wont be able to fry the cannabis. Whatever you do, it's not okay to leave the cannabis undercooked, and your cannabutter will be a very very dark green when frying the plant completely (to brown).

15. will decarboxylating my cannabis make it more potent even though I would use that cannabis to make a firecracker in the oven at 330F for about 20 mins?

16. sounds good to me man thanks, im definitely trying your method this weekend

17. I'm gonna try to make this tonight and Ill post the results if I have time. It looks like a great recipe, especially to make good use of my vaped bud. Also I was going to pm this to you the other day because I saw you say something about it in a thread, but does decarbed bud have any benefits if you smoke it? As opposed to to smoking regular non-microwaved herb.

18. Yes.
    Decarboxylated cannabis can be smoked to greater effect than non-heat treated cannabis.

I think people will take a liking to this method, because it is deeply grounded in reality, chemistry, and physics. I never have understood the mystical and mysterious reason why some "experts" say you should to simmer for 12 hours...or 3 days.

It's a nonsense way to extract into lipids. And dangerous. 3 days? Really?

19. Thanks. I shouldve edited my other post with this question, but I've got vegetable oil, olive oil, and salted butter in my kitchen right now... which would be the best to use for this?

20. Well, salted butter will taste like shit eaten straight, so it depends what youre going to do with the infused fat.

If you're going to eat it straight, go with the olive oil. I wouldnt use vegetable oil because of the polyunsaturated fat count, but this wont effect the extraction or the relief you'll recieve.

Basically - use the oil that best fits your designated use for the extract.