Vicodin and hiccups?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Sunn, Nov 5, 2010.

1. So yesterday (Wednesday) I had all my wisdom teeth removed and got a prescription for some vicodin afterwards, I had to get it in liquid form because I can't really swallow pills very well. So I'e been taking that every 4 hours as directed, and also taking advil to further help the pain and to keep the swelling down. And well, later in the night after the surgery, I got some hiccups which didn't seem too strange, but they never went away. In fact, they kept me from sleeping, and continued for so long and so frequently that I got some massive heartburn, nausea, etc. Since then I've still been taking vicodin and I've had hiccups for pretty much the whole time since the surgery. Only about midway through today did it occur to me that maybe the vicodin is what was causing these non stop hiccups, so I looked it up and found some stuff about opiates causing hiccups in some people, although I couldn't really find any research and it seems to be pretty rare.

It's really terrible actually. I tried all the cures..holding your breath, drinking tons of water, etc. Eventually the only thing that could get them to stop was drinking about half a glass of 7-up without taking a breath, but that just made my stomach feel worse because of the carbonation, acids, and lack of solid food in me since I can't really eat yet. And on top of that, the hiccups come back after less than an hour. Right now I'm still hiccuping about every 5 seconds, after making them temporarily stop by drinking pop, and they're still going on even though the last dose of any medicine I took was about 6 or 7 hours ago.

Anyone ever heard of this or experienced this before? If so, what should I do about it?

2. you need to get some food in you, im pretty sure hiccups are a weak dry heave.

3. nah when I take alot of pk's I get the hiccups occasionally. Consistently. I don't think it's an issue. As for a cure, try eating a spoonful of sugar... Works for me.

4. it's not food. I was eating a lot of soup, jello, etc, and yesterday ate a sandwich cut up into little bits and stuff. Anyway I just stopped taking the vicodin altogether. Decided that the pain was more bearable than hiccuping every 5 seconds for days on end.

5. dry swallow a teaspoon of sugar. Works everytime.