*Under Current* at GrassCity

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by JointOps, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I'm actually selling the UC. My guess is that the growth is so explosive, that the nutrient demand is higher than a normal schedule. Had I gone a third cycle, my intentions were to reduce, if not eliminate the veg cycle, and increase the nutes by 30%. When you finish, you have this, beautiful, 13 gallon, square, rootmass. The plants were ridiculously big, but the density wasn't there.

2. #22 scrogger, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    ESSENTIALLY.... It is a large DWC system, but the best part is that the entire system (6, 8, 10,12 buckets) will have the same environment and dilution of nutes. if you use the lucas formula for rez management, you will be fine. you prob wouldnt need to dump the rez for 3 cycles (veg and flower).

however, if you use a lot of additives, you will most likely need to dump completely after 1 full cycle, depending on how much sludge, builds up in the system, from nutes that were never used or "consumed". the build up of these nutes will cause ph issues, and def TDS levels that are out of wack for a sustainable root growth and overall production & quality.

I dont us a main rez, therefore no need for a controller bucket, per se. I use the "controller bucket, sans float valve, to add back water and nutes and test my ph/tds/ec levels. Since there are 3 systems in use, i grow 2-3 strains sometimes, this let me personalize the feeding regime for each strain. Also helps eliminate and isolate a problem, without endangering the whole crop.

I would not advise using anything smaller than 1.5" when considering the tubing to connect the buckets. 1/2 is too small to get a current going. it will work, but temps and ph/tds will not be equal. they will be close, but not exactly identical. you want them to be identical.

I go from 1.5" pvc into a "t" valve that reduces down to 3/4" line going to the water pump. the higher the GPH, the better performance, stronger current.

***beware of too much water pressure, as this is not good for many reasons. roots can get sucked through the tubes, the water returning to hte control bucket, can be too high, but a lid will stop any sprays. but most importantly too much pressure could cause your totes, to collapse a little around the grommets. if you use a 10gal bucket your fine, but rubbermaid totes and the like could leak, depending on the water level. I use 18gal rubbermaid totes, with 2 plants each, and i only fill 10 gal of nutes/water, to keep the pressure low.

3. #23 scrogger, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    For nute schedule, use the lucas formula (0-08-16) it's easy cheesy.

did you finally come the conclusion based on density and plant size? that sounds like a genetics or environment issue. sounds like the system is doing its job: massive root development.

did you try to top before flowering, and train through stretch?

Are your room & rez temps good?

4. I use a chiller and heat exchangers. The room is a constant 72-74 night and day. The humidity is 40-50%. The res is 72 degrees. I used two different genetics, brainstorm and then blueberry. Both the hydro and dirt were in the same room. I actually spoke to the salesman at Current Culture, who recommended Canna and their nute schedule. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the UC. The system is awesome. I'm just getting better results in dirt. Smaller plants, with more controlled growth, and denser flowers. In the end. My smaller plants produced more weight.

5. Right on. As long as we are all happy with our preferred methods :)

6. Nice Bunker great to see another bro loyal to the soil..lol. I have had great results from dwc but have yet to venture into uc system. Me and a friend are battling on right now to see who pulls what hehe. Hes got a room of dwc totes and im rollin sog. Helpin him chop today and I'm done in less than a week.

7. Throw a screen up at 8-10" above medium and the one who does that will win the challenge for sure. But i would say that the grower who scrogs using UC or DWC hydro system will knock it out of the park... leaving Soil, in the dust :p

8. #28 The Bunker, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
    I'm getting big #'s in dirt. I know for a fact others have done more in the UC. I just couldn't find the sweet spot.

9. current culture under current was to expensive for me, tried to build my own then I found elite hydro systems and bought one for cheaper then I could build it, (half as much as other guys) just got installed last week. Awesome! its on there blog page

Mike

10. Hey I Have A question. I Also have an Undercurrent System as well what kind of nutrient are you using to get those results. Have you experimented with a few?I'm Trying simple ionic nuts with a few basic addiv. and so far they are looking just wonderful.

Also How do you drain the water from the drain valve I have a 100 feet brand new hose but what else do i need to actually get to moving through the house to drain.

Hope to hear from you soon

David

11. The Buds not getting hard enough has def. one of my biggest concerns but im going to try to keep they temps around 68 the last week and hopefully that does the trick.