Bongsauce's micro cabs and stuff. (help thread)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Bongsauce, Oct 29, 2010.

1. #821 Bongsauce, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    good to hear about hte progress :)

too bad about the fan controller...I remember mine being pretty self explanatory setting up.

---

The thing with atuos is they're on a timed life cycle. Any stress to the plant directly affects the yield because you don't have any time to recover if you make a mistake. With photo plants if you stress them out you can always just veg longer. I htink we talked about how lst is a much better option then topping or fimming. ..again this is because lst is the least amount of stress on the plant and it recovers quickly from it.

I think in a micro grow with limited wattage and headroom it's probaly better to do a little LST on autos. Look at that dudes grow for example..if he would have let it grow straight up it would have hit the top of the case.Even if height wasn't an issue..the lower wattage bulbs in micros grows don't have the penetration to create buds any further then about 6-8" form the bulb. So to grow a plant much taller then that is a waste because you'll need to lolipop it (trim bottom growth off) ...when that happens you end up with a bunch of extra height that is all stem, which is a huge waste of grow space in such a tiny area.

Ideally that guy should have grown about 6 autos in there and used the same technique. If you look at some of the later pics you can see there's room for more bud in there. When I build a growbox I look at it while it's empty and try to imagine how many buds can fit in there comfortably and not be over crowded...or leaving any big gaps. Once I picture that in my head I fill it with whatever amount of plant I think it will take to create that final, perfect canopy at harvest. No matter what the size of the grow, PC, dresser, room...it's important to be able to visualize the max operating conditions of that area and fill it with plants and veg accordingly. It can of course take several harvests to understand how much a plant will fill out and end up looking like at harvest...but that's how we learn right? Like how the dude in that thread learned that for his next grow, if all conditions are similar, he should pop maybe 10 autos seeds...weed out his 50% males and end up with 4-6 females to really fill out that case! There were some slight deficiency issues 1/2 way through which also decreased yield a little too....

here's a great example of what can be done in a pc....5 years ago lol 

and another..7 years old now..<- roughly the same yield as the grow you linked..but he only used 42w cfl and had a fluffy pheno.

god how time flies.

2. Well my limitation is just how many seeds I have. Only ordered 5 seeds and as a beginner I don't want to germ all five, potentially fail and then wait weeks for a new order to arrive. Hence only planning to pop two plants in there. I don't have the same luxury you do of just chucking however many clones in as can fit, even though that's a great way to do it I'm just not in position to right now. So yeah to make the most use of the space I wanna be sure I'm training or not training correctly.

Hopefully two plants with some LST will be enough to moderately fill the space.

3. sounds good. If you want any help making seeds just let me know :)     I wish things were different..I have too many to mention. :v/

4. Haha well I'll probably run these 5 auto's over the next few months, test out how good the odour control is on the case and if it's decent enough I can try out some of the random freebies, maybe get a mother going, and be sorted. I think making seeds is beyond me at this point, just having a second space for mothers/clones would be a start :)

Still getting somewhat ahead of myself though, the seeds need to make it through customs first!

5. Also in your experience is it worth defoliating leaves around budsites on autoflowers or is that going to be too much stress? I seem to recall you having some auto's thrown into your big cab grow and I know you defoliate at least sometimes.

6. I defoliate if I feel big leaves are shading lower budsites. I do it a little in veg to help develop lower branches, but mostly I do it after the stretch is over...I treat autos almost the same as far as defoliating goes...I might just do it over the course of a few days for less stress. With my photo strains I do alot all at once.

7. #827 nissy420, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Just tested out the case with 4 x 24w CFL's in there, ran it for about an hour in the closet all closed up and temps peaked at 25c, humidity dropped to 45%ish.

Ambient temps around 20c today so not too bad. The issue is the fans don't really move much air it feels like. They are rated at 35 cfms but they feel very weak. Putting my hand up to them I have to get within a few cm to feel any air movement. Is this going to be suitable or do I need more powerful fans if I want the stalk to strengthen up?

Running 5 of them on a 1000ma DC adapter, they're rated at 0.1 amp each so that should be an issue I assume?

Edit - Huh, just realized this thing says it's an AC-AC Adapter... Could that be a reason why the fans/fan controller aren't up to scratch?

8. it'd hard to say on the fans...how close can you hold a lighter to them before it blows out? Can you connect just one fan and test it to see if it's blowing nay stronger?

...don't worry about the stalks thickening up...they'll grow fine. I have no 'wind' on my plants and they do fine.

I'm not sure on the ac/ac thing..I know I've seen those and part of me wants to think it's just a chinese misprint or something. I'm pretty sure if you powered the fans on ac it would fry them immediately....and you would smell it.

9. I can hold a lighter literally right up to it before it blows out. Blows out at like 1cm away...

Doesn't seem to matter how many fans are attached they all appear to run at the same speed.

It's doing ok for temp controls at this stage but I think if I try to put carbon filter in it's going to do literally nothing, so yeah pretty sure I need new fans.

10. Do those masscool fans you linked back early in this thread have 4 pin molex connectors? They're kinda expensive over here but if I'm gonna replace I want to replace with something good.

Most economical fan I've seen pricewise is this Deepcool fan which goes for less than $5 but it's only 1500 rpm and 18 cfm. Might just be replacing crap with crap?

11. the fans I use are the cheapest ones I can find. I wouldn't consider them 'good' fans :p     They have the 3pin/4pin connect.

I just did a quick search and I can't even find any fans that cheap any more. I remember I bought 12 of them to get a volume discount from newegg.

12. But don't my fans sound like complete shit to you or is this what I should expect from 80mm fans?

13. I don't even remember the numbers for my fans...15 cfm does seem pretty low though.

14. I don't mean numbers I mean if I can put a lighter up to 1cm away and the flame is still going, the fans are probably just dying?

15. yeh that sounds pretty weak too. my fans blow out my lighter at like 6-8" ...er uhh..x2.5..um  15-20 cm  :D

16. Haha okay then yeah, these are obviously just on the brink. Not surprising, 2 out of the 7 were completely DOA so the rest are probably just on their last legs.

17. yeh maybe check out some better fans then.. :)  at least you can keep the old ones for back ups..

I got bored and took a few pics with my usb microscope:

lemon skunk harvested recently in my other thread...@ 20x:
    [​IMG]

same bud @ 200x:
    [​IMG]

macro pic with my camera of my grinder:
    [​IMG]

same @ 20x:
    [​IMG]

same @ 200x :
    [​IMG]

random seeds @ 20x :
    [​IMG]

same @ 200x :
    [​IMG]

it's just a cheapo usb microscope from toyzrus..it was like 30$ I believe. Not too shabby for a toy :)

18. The amount of crystals you get off that Lemon Skunk is out of this world man.

19. Where did you get the lemon skunk from? That is one of my favorite strains! I'm looking to pick up some feminized. Also in the market for a WW x. I like the microscope too, pretty damn clear.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. the lemon skunk is from GHS, I ordered a 5 pack fem'd through attitude...the smells from those phenos I got were amazing.