Bongsauce's micro cabs and stuff. (help thread)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Bongsauce, Oct 29, 2010.

1. #801 nissy420, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    GIven how much research I did on nutes and still had no clue wtf to do after hours and hours of reading I'd agree the 6:9 seems very appealing. I'm somewhat trying to work out how I will mix it since two little autoflowers in a PC case... A gallon would probably last like a week right? :lol: gonna have to find some kind of gallon container.

We don't have those gallon bottles of anything over here really.

2. hehe it will all come together. Over time things will work themselves out as long you continue to work hard and and research. I've been doing this for years now and I still take time everyday to read about things I don't know about. Today I read a little on outdoor growing and greenhouses for instance.

Yeh a gallon will probably last a few waterings..I try to use up my nutes within a few days. I think it's the calmag that makes it smell a little fishy(literally) after a few days. The nutes keep fine in the bottles..but once mixed they shouldn't sit too long...especially with calmag in there.

Try to use a strong gallon jug with a lid to mix your nutes...like an orange juice container or ice tea or whatever you like to drink. Does stuff come in 4 liter jugs there? 4 liters is like a little over a gallon I believe.

3. Nah we aren't fat Americans (haha joking) so yeah we don't really have those size containers readily available sadly or I'd go get something yum. Probably have water bottles that size that's about it.

BTW those pH testing powders, they need to be mixed with "distilled" water. Is that just bottled water or do I need to specifically hunt for distilled water?

4. #804 Bongsauce, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    Distilled water is water with close to 0 ppm. Meaning it's very very pure usually very filtered or reverse osmosis (RO) Distilled water is sold here in gallon jugs used for filling clothing irons, and I'm sure other uses. It's used for irons because it's pure water and won't leave anything behind as the water is steamed away. Some times even car washes have 'distilled' water used for the rinse cycle so it won't leave waterspots. I have a ppm/tds meter I can use to check water...my tap is about 230 ppm. That's things like calcium, iron, magnesium, flouride :mad: , and other micro nutrients. You ever boiled water down on the stove till it's gone? That white residue left over is your ppm..and tds (total dissolved salts)   ...just some excess info there for ya...I like to over explain things.

Some bottled waters will have the ppm on it...distilled should be in the 10-30 range I'd guess. Bottled water companies like to add some micro nutrients for better health and stuff..so usually drinking water won't be low enough ppm to be useful for the dry ph mix...

tldr: yeh get some distilled water. lol.

5. Haha ok. Where do you get that stuff from just from general food store usually? Or a place like walmart?

Got myself a nicely spaced 5 way power brick today from a shop that's shutting down so mega clearance. Bonus! And the PC case just arrived woohoo!

Still trying to figure out the pot side of things. 2L ice cream carton might work have to measure it. Would need to figure out a tray for the runoff too. Walked around like 5 different $2 shops at the mall and didn't find anything that looked perfect but we'll get there.

For plants growing in these kinda small spaces (2.1 cubic feet) do you have any idea what the volume of pot should be roughly?

6. I can usually find it at walmart or another grocery store.

nice to have some components in your hands..now you can start fitting things and getting an idea for the layout. Most times when I build something new I just smoke a big bowl and stare at the empty box until I have it figured out.

About 2-3 liters is probably good. Start to look at food containers and things in a different light, food storage containers..etc. ..try to go for square ones that fill out the floor well so you can get as much room as possible for the roots. No gallon jugs of milk :) the bottom half of one of those fits a pc really great.

*goes back to sipping on his 3 gallon soda and eating spoonfuls of sugar and fat*

7. Yeah the 2L ice cream containers seem perfect, 17.5cm x 17.5cm so should be a nice fit in the 20cm case with a tray underneath :) anyone want some ice cream?! Swing by my place :lol:

One nice thing with this case is the fan grilles kind of "bulge" outwards a little bit which makes me think if I cut carbon filter sheet down to size it might just sit nicely between the fan and grille so no extreme effort needed to filter the smell which is great, if it works.

The bad thing is as expected with such a cheap case there are some issues and it's gonna need a good long days work at my mates place to get it up to scratch. It's missing a few bits and pieces so the front panel doesn't secure on, gonna have to figure out a solution for that, and all the random ventilation/PCI slots/PSU slot need to be covered in some way.

8. lol I'll take some ice cream.

You could just glue everything shut...that's what I did in my pc. And in the back I just covered the slots with foil tape. Foil tape is a micro growers best friend.

9. Foil tape sounds pretty good yeah, was contemplating sheet metal and glue for some of the bits.

Not sure about gluing on the front panel though. I mean literally the entire front panel of the case, which has a metal opening door which makes it quite heavy. Also ideally you want to be able to remove it still because it's the only way to access the front fans on the case.
    The case is basically missing a strip of plastic (and possibly some fittings) on the front left hand side and without it the panel doesn't attach properly.

10. Day 19 of flower. Gdp's under the mars2 700w :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

..sorry bout the crappy pics. I snapped those with the flash right after the lights went out.

I'm currently remodeling my other cabinet so I have 8 of my smaller plants stuffed in this cab right now till I get the other cab up and running.

I'll get some better pic of these GDP tops next time. I really like how they have a curly little afro on top...quite a different structure then the other strains I've run.

11. That mars cab is a winner! :)

12. Oh and I want ice cream!!

13. Nissy should be here any minute with that ice cream...  *holds breath*

14. Haha, had a weekend away, actually scored something (1.5 grams lol) so I been occupied ;)

That cab looks great man.

15. cool I hope you had a good time nissy :)

here's some updates on the little led speaker cab. Inside is 2 mango haze and a superskunk clone.

day 31
    superskunk:
    [​IMG]

mango haze:
    [​IMG]
    '
    [​IMG]
    '
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the results so far...the superskunk looks like it's gonna be nice and fat...and the mango buds look like they'll fill in real nice as well.

thanks for followin along :smoke:

16. Looks delicious, all off a few household LEDs!

17. thanks a bunch nissy...I love the fact that these bulbs came from lowes. :smoke:

here's some shots of the gdp in the mars2 cab:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I defoliated em pretty good last nite. I'm gonna get the little plants out of there so the gdp gets more room too.

:bongin:

18. What happened to your other thread with the large cab grow? Couldn't find it when I clicked the link on the early pages of this thread it just took me to the gc forums front page.

19. #820 nissy420, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Moving closer every day to getting my setup ready. Worked on the case all weekend and got it all sorted. For some reason my fan controller doesn't power up even though all the "to Power Supply" cables are powered (by a 12v DC adapter). Maybe the controller itself needs to be powered by something else? Can't find any electrical specs on it sadly. Still, all the fans are working and it's nice to have the controller there for wiring simplicity. If I want to change the fans I can just unplug the molex connectors and plug in the new ones and not have to mess around with wire joining. Considering these fans seem pretty terrible I think that's something that's going to have to happen at some stage.

But yeah, removed all the cages/motherboard tray, filled all the erroneous holes, covered up the window with a sheet of APA, fitted the lights on a magnetic strip, gave it four coats of flat white paint, drilled a few holes for cables to come out, fixed the front panel in place, reinforced the edges with silicon (these cases get a bit wobbly once you remove the cages!).

Will throw up some pics later.

When we were talking about autoflowers before someone was saying to not really train them much, as it may end up decreasing yields instead of increasing. Here is the thread that inspired me to go for the Auto Blue Mystic in the first place, and he uses a scrog on it. Do you think he'd have gotten more of a yield just letting it grow straight up? See page 10/11 for the finished plant, it does seem kinda small to me.