Did I create a new strain?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by iCLONE, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Yep .... I started germinating some of them. Doing 10 seeds and male or female I'll grow em out.
    In fact I'll try to keep all the F1 first plants as mothers indefinitely. But I'm still trying to come up with
    a game plan. When I told a grower friend of mine he got more excited than I did. He feels like I do
    that F1's are like lotto seeds (possibly) That you can see many phenotypes in extreme variations.
    He told me if you breed out any stable strains that you can patten the strain .....? :eek:

I'll be trying to pick Loki's brain on this.... maybe I'll offer a strain name to him. Call it "Loki Nova" ....:smoke:

2. #22 Loki7, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I think we had a mis-communication. That's not exactly how it is... While each generation carries a lot of information about past generations, not all that information carries forward to each future generation. In fact, on a per seed basis, a lot may be lost. And that's why creating a stable strain with a really good pheno is so hard.

The F1 is very much like the lottery of seeds. You could get anything that the parents carry or new phenos that result of a combination of phenos (coffee pheno dad with a sugary mom might make a coco pheno). The greater the difference in the parents, genetically, the stronger the hybrid vigor is... That hybrid vigor is lost with each F generation... So, by the time you have F5s, they're mere shadows of the F1 plants and you have to try and breed it back in... back crossing with the parents or an earlier F generation... There are a lot of ways to do it and even with genetic profiling, it's a crap shoot.

-Loki

3. #23 iCLONE, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010

OK ... OK ... I'll calm down a bit but it's still exciting to anticipate the genetics that are
    there. These were my last two grows and I liked them. BC Kush (Grapefruit Kush) and
    Grapefruit Diesel.

I understand that I'll prolly never be able to breed out a strain but I'll for sure grow and
    clone like a fool. I'll enjoy the good and force my self to enjoy the bad ....

All that being said I would definitely like to ask you what you would do? On a casual use
    level. Would you just plant em keep the ladies and toss out the males? Or would make
    any attempt for a strain? I'm open to your suggestions.... in fact looking forward to it.

Thanks again Loki ..... even as you gently bring me down to earth I'm fascinated with your
    input.

Repped Ya ....

4. If it was me... I'd cross them and see what the hybrid vigor was like... grow out as many of the females as I had room... then a few weeks before harvest, take a few clones from each one. By the time the clones are rooted and vegged, you'll know which ones you want to grow again. Then I'd use collidial silver on them and self them... and see what the self pollenated seeds do. If they are as strong as the parent, you have a lot of dominate genes and it would be a good back crossing candidate...

-Loki