EZ Clone experiences...and breakthrough...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Poindexterous, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Great tips. I've had my ezclone for more than 8 years and have gone through thousands of runs using ro water with 90+ percent success until last month. My babies starting wilting after two days and most were dead within 5 days. I bleached and scrubbed, replaced collars and spray nozzles. Anyway, 3 days later and the same thing. I've gone back to the humidity dome method out of frustration and necessity. I'm looking forward to trying the pool shock formula and will let you know how it works out.

2. Poindexterous, got to say, it's awesome that you shared this info. The last few days I have finally come to the conclusion that cleanliness was my problem after root start and I am now convinced due to your imparting this information that lack of disinfecting IS my problem. Naad the info about the Pool Shock is very generous, thank you again bro!

3. This is I feel the number 1 reason clones in any medium die before or shortly after rooting. I know that I use to get crappy 50% or less rates all the time when I first started learning to clone but then I started to use 99% alcohol and then bleach on everything that dealt with the process from the table top to the scissors and my hands as well. I keep a bottle of alcohol right there and a clean rag just for my hands and every minute or two I sterilize them all the way through the process of taking cuttings and getting them in my aero cloner.

I am now using a home made aero bucket cloner. I have a 5 gallon bucket type and one I made from a tote bin that is 36 site. Both work great with nothing but tap water and my tap is decent around here 150 ppm or less all the time and a neutral or slightly acid ph always. Sometimes I mixe it 50/50 with RO water but I have not noticed a difference in success. My last 5 runs in them were 100% success rate on initial rooting and a 97% rate on actually getting a viable plant out of it.

I can say that I am very happy I already had the tools to make them and not purchase ez-cloners and expensive gear like that. They are great devices and they are made well I just can't afford them. My DIY buckets work just as well. If you don't already have the hand tools and drill and all that to make them though it is probably better to purchase one ready to use. With tools in hand already the 36 site cost me 25 dollars to make.

4. Hey I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to thank you Poindexterous, you saved me around 800K after one trip to the wally world lol. But I have a question: At what pH do you have your EZCloner going? I am running a 6.0 at around 380 ppms. It's been 11 daya nad I have yet to see roots on my babies. Afghani#1 pure indica is what I'm going with here, is it the genetics? Should I flower the mom and just get a new strain?

5. Its what I do w/ 5 drops of Root Excel and a new alcohol based root juice called Vita Grow rooting compound, dip for 3 seconds, not 10 seconds like it recommends. The grow shop that I shop at makes it.

6. Just wait till you get a couple small roots and put into really wet but aerated soil and then for 2 days keep pretty wet then for 2 days water just the perimeter of small container so they stretch for moisture then yr on yr way.

7. Poindexterous saved my butt with this thread too. I think he is up to 5 grams of pool shock per gallon of water to make the solution and then 1 oz of that solution to the 30 site ez clone (5 gallon reservoir). I keep my clone reservoir at about 6.5 -7.0 I know there are many that recommend down to 5.8.... I don't use any gel or nutes been 100% since starting the pool shock. 7-10 days to roots on my Northern Lights and 10 to 12 on the NY 47

8. #28 Strain 23, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011

Alright sweet brotha thank you for the advice. I am going to do one more run, 10 cuts in the cloner (with the XX strength solution of course) and 10 in cubes. Just gonna cut em and stick em in the cloner and put some rootech on the one in the cubes. But 12 days huh? Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since i cut them from momma and they are all looking happy as can be, just not a single root, not even a bump. One (lol I know just one) has even started yellowing like it is growing roots....but no roots. Tomorrow if they are still refusing to root I am just going to chop em all and do the 5th run. Hopefully the cubes, or maybe even some coco :devious: will do the trick. Good luck to you as well my friend and happy growing. ~23

9. Hey!
    I May have purchased the wrong type of pool shock. The one i purchased contains "Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinethrione" i guess its a different kind of chlorine priduct. Im wondering if any of you would know if this would still be safe to use, or if i shouldnt risk it. Currently my cloner is fine. But i want to be proactive rather than reactive. Any thoughts are helpful and considered. Thank you very much!

10. Anything sodium is going to raise an eyebrow with me, as this is the number one water problem and high levels of sodium are known to outright kill cannabis. The pool shock you are looking for is in a blue package, and should say 48% calcium hypochlorite. The stuff you just described sounds dangerous for any living organism much more for one you plan on smoking. I am no scientist, and will be the first to tell you this post should be taken with a grain of salt, because hell it could be completely safe. But I just wouldn't take the risk. If I were you I would return what you bought and get HTH Pool Shock, the "Shock and Swim" formula. It will be in a blue package either a one pound bag, or lmao the overkill package I bought, a box of 5 one pound bags. Now for each treatment of one gallon of water, you can use between 1 and 5 grams. Each bag has 450 grams, between 90 and 450 gallons of solution, depending on how strong you mix it.

If you have a wally world around there try their outdoor section and just ask for pool shock. I thought it would be weird to ask for the stuff, but in the end I was cool as a cucumber while the employees were the ones looking confused because they didn't know what I was talking about.

Another thing to remember is not to breath the fumes that the solution creates, chlorine is fine for your plants but is bad for you when breathing it in.

Happy Growing ~23

11. hey thanks man! i greatly appreciate your input!
    the packet i got was only 3 dollars so its not that big of a deal to throw in my neighbors dog water lmao. naw but really thank you very much!

12. Oh man I really laughed hard at that, that was hilarious!! But no problem brotha I'm always glad to help.

Happy Growing ~23

13. Lol yeah, das my style to throw curve balls like that. Glad you got a quick laugh. And i appreciate the help! Till we meet again buddy tnx!

14. hey Poindexterous thanks for the info,as for mixing the solution to your reservoir, is that one fluid ounce per 5 gallons? thanks again!

15. bought pool shock with calcium hypoclorite, made the batch of 1 gram to gallon, and after i added it, it seems the ph is stuck at 6.5. I know some of them have ph balancers in them but can i still use this mix even though it has the ph blancer?

16. Very good post. I am off to try this tonight!

17. Going to be trying this very soon

Attached Files:

18. Aqua Chem 5 Lbs. Shock Plus

\tItem #: 34629

@ lowes.com

is that the calcium hypochlorite pool shock?

19. Grab this bro

Attached Files:

20. hey guys, checking back in....

just curious, did any of you have any issues with chlorine slowing, possibly STOPPING rooting?

just a little back ground info...all was going fantastic using this method, I had never gotten one root in an aero cloner, i sat it aside a year ago with repeated failure...i found this thread and decided to fire it back up and sure as hell, at 2 weeks I had mop heads.

Worked great for about 4 cycles...on my last cycle I was starting to get 20% or so of my clones STILL dying from the bacteria...flushing between uses with 500 ML of bleach per 7 gallons, then rinse with straight water, then refilled with water again and correct, regular chlorine solution.

I decided to bump up my chlorine application to 2x the suggested strength. I have 0 root bumps or anything at 8 days. No slimed clones, but no visual progression at all =\ same plants yada yada