Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Does boiling a pipe to clean it weaken the glass?

• Please log in to reply

As Above So Below

As Above So Below

I'm a Magical Girl who represents Love and Courage!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,763 posts
Pretty much what the title says. The method I heard to use for boiling was start with cool water, place the pipe in the pot, then turn the stove on (so the piece doesn't break going from room temp to burning hot). My friend says he never does this since boiling it "weakens the glass". Is this true? I'm pretty sure it takes a lot more than 400F to weaken/break glass, even after doing it multiple times. Just something I was thinking about today lol

J. Funk

J. Funk

• Registered Upgraded
  • 111 posts
Water doesnt weaken the glass but you have to be very careful that the boiling water doesnt cause the pipe to chip on the pot its in. I just let mine soak in 90% alcohol and it comes out looking brand new.

ZipLockBag

ZipLockBag

Glassblower... Soon...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,058 posts
the rapid heat change could crack your pipe... I'd imagine if you put it in the water before it boils, and leave it in the water as it cools down the temperature change would be slowed so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by ZipLockBag, 20 October 2010 - 09:38 PM.

insomnia247

insomnia247

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, dont do anything that might change the temperature of the glass too quickly. It will crack. then you'll be :(

whswatty

whswatty

above the ignorance

• Registered Upgraded
  • 222 posts
I think its pretty muchly common knowledge not to put a cold bowl in already boiling water. It may also be a good idea to soak it in alcohol or acetone before you boil it. But DON'T GET THE ALCOHOL/ACETONE ANYWHERE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.

graybeard

graybeard

Just Old

• 2,610 posts

santacruzslick

santacruzslick

Dept. Cannabis Testing

• Registered Upgraded
  • 270 posts
put it in a metal strainer so it can't bang around inside the pot

blazinout16

blazinout16

• Registered Upgraded
  • 199 posts
i just mixed hot water out of the tap with some salt and put it into a plastic cup. Not the cheap throw away ones..but the thick ones people give their kids to use (just so it doesnt melt). The i just kinda scrubbed it with my hands and let it soak on and off for a while. I changed the water twice and it was sparkling clean.

I did this with my bowl for my bong...but same concept.

MisterNatural

MisterNatural

Space Cadet

• Bronze Member
  • 6,021 posts

the blunt truth

the blunt truth

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 865 posts
The bubbles from the boiling water streaming up can rattle the pipe around and since its so hot any stress fractures that are there could be exemplified, just use alcohol or Simply Green

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users