Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

If you ask someone if they're a Cop/Informant.. do they have to tell you?

• Please log in to reply

jfeezy

jfeezy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 428 posts
Ok heres the deal, I've always been told that if you ask someone if they are a Cop or an Informant that they have to answer you truthfully, otherwise its entrapment and their bust doesn't even matter, however last night I was watching an Episode of COPS where they were busting prostitutes... Every prostitute asked the undercover officer if they were a Cop, and the Cop said no each time... then proceeded to bust them. It just doesn't seem fair that they can do that. So whats the word?

RMJL

RMJL

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 30,627 posts

Jokertoker

Jokertoker

Marv

• Registered Upgraded
  • 701 posts
I was watching cops yesterday and the cop said that people think they have to tell them if they are cops but they really don't have to tell you wheather they are a cop or not.

fAKdded

fAKdded

ariya-sacca

• Old School
  • 3,729 posts
I think people just watched blow to many times.... heh

sidious

sidious

Old School Stoner

• Old School
  • 7,375 posts
the entrapment law in the U.K. stands as if you ask they have to say.........but each country is diffrent i guess..........like here it takes 2 cops to arrest someone as your wordis as good as his, but not 2 of them...........Peace out..........Sid

astro

astro

Captain of Outer Space

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,440 posts
Those sound like good laws, Sidious. Wish they'd adopt them here.

But no, no cop has to tell you they are a cop. The basic rule is, if a cop doesn't break the law it's not entrapment, and lying outside of oath isn't a crime. There are other specifics but in general that's how it is.

stoned_soldier

stoned_soldier

BOOGA BOOGA!! jaywalker

• Old School
  • 3,394 posts
listen carefully to the opening lines in the show COPS.. they say all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.. just because they got busted doesn't mean they got convicted, the cases could possibly have been thrown out..

yeah, that reminds me of Blow too..

from my grade 12 law text book (Canadian law, the book is outdated though, the Youth Act is totally different)
entrapment: the action of inducing a person into committing an offense

so i guess a cop asking for cocaine is illegal, but it's not illegal if they call it by a slang like blow or rock, etc.. if the person knows what they mean and offer some blow to the cop, then it was the dealer who committed the offense

personally, i fuckin' hate the show COPS (the Canadian version is way funnier, mostly drunk people) b/c the way they bust people is that they set up the entire crime, so if they didn't do that, the crime would not have taken place.. for example when female cops pretend to be hookers and find some johns, they started it.. fuckin' assholes

rollinfatty

rollinfatty

window toker

• Old School
  • 2,372 posts

personally, i fuckin' hate the show COPS (the Canadian version is way funnier, mostly drunk people) b/c the way they bust people is that they set up the entire crime, so if they didn't do that, the crime would not have taken place.. for example when female cops pretend to be hookers and find some johns, they started it.. fuckin' assholes

they do the same thing in american cops...sometimes they make the cops look like a stoner and give them fake weed...its amazing how many rednecks they bust trying to buy nicks and dimes..they also do the same thing with prostitutes...except the cops go around asking hos ...same idea. i cant believe you dont like cops...its the funniest shit ever...especially when they bust guys with like 2 pounds of weed on them...but i could see how all those gay "domestic disturbances" with the rednecks get boring...only when they find drugs it;s cool:)

astro

astro

Captain of Outer Space

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,440 posts
It so easy to not get busted too...

Whenever I'm buying/selling from someone new, I *always* smoke a J with them *before* any transaction takes place. That way if the guy's an undercover pig, he'd be breaking the law and that would be entrapment. I recommend you all do that to.

My friend made the mistake of turning down a blunt when we were buying from a room full of latinos that we didn't know. They were like "La policia!" and shit, I was like "you better hit that fucking blunt" but by then I had already taken it from him and toked.

COPS has some funny moments though. People are sooo retarded it kinda funny to watch, but it does get old quick because they do the same damn thing every time: Pull over a drunk. Laugh as he tries to explain it. Bust a wife beater. Pull over a drug runner. Arrest a hyper prostitute. Beat on some black guy. Roll credits.

Fëanor

Fëanor

Lazy Blunt-Lover

• Old School
  • 7,116 posts

Whenever I'm buying/selling from someone new, I *always* smoke a J with them *before* any transaction takes place. That way if the guy's an undercover pig, he'd be breaking the law and that would be entrapment. I recommend you all do that to.

Check out the article RMJL posted, bro:

Are Police Allowed to Break The Law?

Police officers working undercover have exceptions from certain criminal laws. For instance, law enforcement officers directly engaged in the enforcement of controlled substance laws are exempt from laws surrounding the purchase, possession, sales or use of illegal substances.7

This means that there's no way to identify an undercover officer based on their willingness or refusal to use an illegal drug. Reverse stings are common in the enforcement of controlled substance laws. In a reverse sting operation, a police officer sells drugs that have previously been confiscated and then arrest the buyer.

Now, granted, most cops would turn down drugs anyway. But plenty of them wouldn't. I remember one time I went out with a girl I worked with one night after we got off. We ended up at her place afterwards. Eventually, we went out in the backyard to smoke a bowl. Well, I saw the curtains moving around in her neighbor's window, so I got worried that her neighbor saw us smoking. She told me, "Oh, don't worry, he works for the DEA, but he smokes too." I thought I was going to shit myself.

astro

astro

Captain of Outer Space

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,440 posts
Feanor:

It's so easy to get out of it though. You can say that you thought it was a legal substance because the cop was smoking, or you assumed it wasn't marijuana because "dealers don't give away free drugs" (even though they do). Shit you could probably say you were given "Marijuana Poisoning" which is an actual condition, assuming you're the one buying and the officer never calls it "marijuana."

Besides, the only time I bet that they *ever* use drugs in front of someone in order to bust them is when they are trying to bring down someone big and they don't want to blow it just because the undercover pig won't take a hit. But I don't think many cops would hotbox a car driving down the highway just to take down a purchaser. In fact I'm willing to bet that an officer could get in trouble for using illegal drugs when he could have easily said "no," I mean, I don't tell people that they have to smoke the J before I'll sell it, but people who refuse have to walk away empty handed.

The reason is this: Entrapment is defined as the act of officers or agents of the government in inducing a person to commit a crime not contemplated by him, for the purpose of instituting a criminal prosecution against him, and I do think that most courts would find that an officer breaking the law is commiting that act. After all, if a cop is like 'Hey, lets go rob a bank!' and then goes and robs a bank with you, it's entrapment. Now I know what the article said there are exemptions for drug crimes, but no law on in the US is cut-n-dry, or we'd have no courts. In court, the debate would be which side of the two laws over-rides the other, the one where the cop does something illegal which entices me into doing something illegal, or the one that says a cop can do something illegal to try to get me to do something illegal.

And yeah, I do know some pigs that smoke, but they'd *never* be caught dead smoking on the job. The public humiliation of admitting to using it (even in a sting) is too great for Johnny Law to bust some pot-head. Besides, a reverse sting doesn't have to involve using it, it just means the cop is selling it, which is normally illegal and not entrapment (kinda like hoes and johns).

Actually, I'd like to find an article that states a drug-busting officer used drugs to bust someone. Because I highly doubt it's ever happened except in a huge bust situation in which having an inhebriated officer isn't a problem because there's lots of backup. Otherwise how is some zero-tolerance police officer going to be able to bust me on his own in a moving car full of smoke?

EDIT: There's an interesting article on entrapment: http://www.fff.org/freedom/1197d.asp The part I find interesting is all the cases that were thrown out because the officers, though acting legally, we're too persuasive in trying to get someone to commit a crime.

Mr.bubbles

Mr.bubbles

louie armstrong

• Old School
  • 3,930 posts
i was watching cops yesterday of course stoned out of my mind, and this guy got arrested for ONE fucking seed, and he is in the front of the cop car talking to the cop and the guy says, Weed isnt a drug, you could smoked a WHOLE opunce and still drive, now could you smoke a 6 pack and stil drive? the cop said i dunno never did weed.........i said LIE then took a bong rip

Crossbreed

Crossbreed

• Registered Upgraded
  • 449 posts
^smoke a 6 pack.. heheheh =P

far as im concerned cops are allowed to lie. i dont trust em one bit. only way to tell if someones a cop or not is to get to know em.

this cop tried to tell me he could give me a "huge list of deaths caused by marijuana" hah. called that bluff out and told em i do my research, the only few deaths that were ever caused by marijuana were because the guys choked on their own puke (wtf...).

Mr.bubbles

Mr.bubbles

louie armstrong

• Old School
  • 3,930 posts
thats how jimi hendrix died
  • ThreeTree33 likes this

Mr.bubbles

Mr.bubbles

louie armstrong

• Old School
  • 3,930 posts
on his own puke not pot and he took like 8 sleeping pill b/c his buddy took 2 and it knocked him out cold so he took 8 :) but yet :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users