Baseball Official Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Philly, Oct 17, 2010.

1. #18141 Mjsb2, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    Those type of contracts are becoming more and more prevalent.

And once the new TV contracts fully kick in, look out.

As a Pirates fan who really wanted Martin back, I'm glad they didn't pay $82 million to re-sign him. He'll be worth it for the first couple of years but in 3 or 4 years the Jays are gonna be paying an over the hill catcher $16 million a year.

On a positive note, I do think he's a big upgrade for the Jays. He'll do wonders for their young pitchers and he's one of the best defensive backstops in the game. Do I think he'll post another .400 OBP and .290 avg next season? Probably not, but if the Jays have a successful season next year, I think he'll definitely be an integral part of it.

3. Totally agree. That's what I liked about Martin was his skills at backstop and his ability to handle different pitchers. I do still feel like he's due for an injury. Not to be negative lol I just feel it comin with him. Lower back or legs prob. And his offense in Pitt was def a shock to a lot of ppl which makes me think it was a fluke. Not a bad deal just a
    Lot that can go wrong there.

The Dank Knight

4. That's a good point bro. But still, just cause they have the money doesn't mean they aren't gonna get stuck like the yanks and arod. Not that Stanton = arod. But players change teams change and payroll allowances change.

The Dank Knight

5. Hey anyone got some
    Input on this topic? I was talking with a buddy about how mike francesa the sports radio guy says the final numbers at the end if the year is all that counts and I think that's utter bullshit. My big example is nick swisher. For the Yankees his baseball card numbers were above average and seemed worth keeping. And I was saying that you cannot just count the numbers. 15-20 home runs and 80 RBI a year seems great yes HOWEVER there IS such a thing as a player with good numbers that sucks for that team. Swisher never came through in the clutch. EVERRRRR
    HIs extra base hits would come
    In clusters usually for two week
    Periods usually may and august. So you get months and
    Months of
    Slumping around those two periods. A total pile on hitter (he hits home
    Runs when it's 12-0 already winning or losing) do you guys know what I
    Mean or have a player you know that's like that? 80 RBI and only a handful mattered.

The Dank Knight

6. Agreed, these contracts are rarely a win-win.

They'll just continue to grow was my point. $20 million dollar a year contracts today will be $30 million a year contracts in a few years.

7. #18147 JetxLife86, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  8. Stanton is overpaid because most MLB players are overpaid. Relative to his peers, however, this isn't unreasonable, especially considering the contract is heavily backloaded so that he makes very little the first three to five years.

The timing of the contract is the biggest question for me...he was recently hit in the face, and struggled in returning from that injury. Maybe a full offseason of recovery will help, but he wouldn't be the first player to not be able to return to form after being struck in the face by a baseball. Aside from that, as long as baseball players continue to make this type of (fully-guaranteed!) money, it's best invested by teams into players like Giancarlo Stanton: young, very talented, still with room to grow.

9. Oh, speaking of large contracts, the Red Sox just signed Hanley Ramirez to a 5yr deal in excess of $90,000,000. He's supposed to sign the deal today.

C - ???
    1B - Napoli
    2B - Pedroia
    SS - Bogaerts
    3B - Ramirez
    LF - Castillo/Holt
    CF - Cespedes/Betts
    RF - Victorino/Craig
    DH - Ortiz

This is assuming they trade Cespedes for pitching or 1st base help, and also don't sign Kung Fu Panda, because that would mean Ramirez would then move, probably to left field, so that Sandoval could play third. Then, Castillo would move to right field, and that would push Victorino into a reserve role and Craig onto the bench (deservedly so). Not sure where that leaves Middlebrooks, but it does probably mean Garin Cecchini stays in the minors.

Also, the White Sox signed Adam LaRoche to a 2yr/$25mil deal the other day.

10. #18150 StickyIckyRicky, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    I take back what I said. They also signed Kung Fu Panda to a 5yr/$100mil deal.

C - ?
    1B - Napoli
    2B - Pedroia
    3B - Sandoval
    SS - Ramirez?
    LF - Castillo/Craig
    CF - Cespedes/Bradley
    RF - Victorino/Betts
    DH - Ortiz
    and Holt as the superutility guy.

11. No way we move away from bogie. Hanley is a terrible defensive shortstop. Cespedes will be traded for pitching. And Hanley will be in left.

I like Latos, and Cueto. The mariners also have some quality arms, and need an OF bat. Cespedes has been a beast at Safeco.

We probably package Cespedes with some of our prospects.

I'm really loving this offseason so far. It kind of feels like the Pats offseason this year....

Considering the amount of rumors/reports involving the Red Sox chasing Cole Hamels, I wouldn't bet the farm on Bogaerts staying until spring training. Hamels for Bogaerts and a top prospect (another variant included Cespedes in that deal as well) is a good deal for both sides...Bogaerts is young and was the #2 prospect in the minors last year, but he was a subpar defensive shortstop and a subpar hitter as a rookie last year. Plus, both Brock Holt and Mookie Betts could spell Hanley at short if needed. Dodgers are another team in on Hamels, but I would not trade him there because I don't think they have the prospects we need to begin a legitimate rebuilding effort. Bogaerts could be the SS of the future for the Phils, and Cespedes, were he included, could then be flipped for more prospects.

Another interesting rumor I heard was Bogaerts to Oakland for Oakland's top shortstop prospect, Dan Robertson. Robertson is about three or four years away from the majors, so the Red Sox would essentially be resetting the clock on prospects at the SS position...this makes sense because Oakland could use another SS to man the field with Jed Lowrie hitting free agency and Addison Russell traded to Chicago, and it allows the Red Sox to chase another title (which, given their signings in the offseason thus far, would imply that's what they're intending to do anyway).

2015 HOF ballot came out:

Craig Biggio (perhaps)
    Mike Piazza (perhaps)
    Jeff Bagwell (probably not)
    Tim Raines (probably not)
    Clemens (probably not)
    Bonds (probably not)
    Lee Smith (unlikely)
    Schilling (unlikely)
    Edgar Martinez (unlikely)
    Alan Trammell (the Jeter of the 80s)
    Mike Mussina (just falls short)
    Jeff Kent (highly unlikely)
    Fred McGriff (highly unlikely)
    Sosa (no chance)
    McGwire (no chance)
    Larry Walker (nope)
    Don Mattingly (nope)

Newcomers to the ballot:

John Smoltz (should get in)
    Pedro Martinez (definite)
    Randy Johnson (best left-hander of a generation)
    Carlos Delgado (maybe)
    Gary Sheffield (unlikely)

and the rest of the newcomers that won't be on the ballot by 2016...

Rich Aurilia (no)
    Aaron Boone (no, but 2003 was cool)
    Tony Clark (no)
    Jermaine Dye (no, but 2005 was cool)
    Cliff Floyd (no)
    Brian Giles (no)
    Darin Erstad (LOL)
    Flash Gordon (nope)
    "Everyday" Eddie Guardado (no, but those years in Minnesota were cool)
    Jason Schmidt (no, but 2002-2003 was cool)
    Tony Clark (no)

Don't think they should be stingy with Smoltz's induction, but I get the feeling they'll elect Biggio, Martinez and Johnson to the HOF and make Smoltz wait a year or two. Piazza and Bagwell and Raines should see their vote totals go up, but not enough to get them in.

13. #18153 Capt Soydog, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    I'm not a huge fan of Hamels, at least not while Lester is still available for about the same price annually and one more year. Lester is a fan favorite, proven in the AL East and Fenway, and doesn't cost prospects.

I'm not sure how much the FO values Xander, but I would rather hold onto him and get rid of some lesser prospects in a package for someone like Fister.

And I think RAJ is asking to much for Hamels.

14. #18154 TimothyTheFirst, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    alan trammell needs to finally get in.

I'd like to see john smoltz get in, he went to the same high school as me.

pedro/big unit are probably locks.  other than that I don't really care who gets in and who doesn't lol.  Sosa was my favorite player when I was growing up but that whole era is probably gonna get left out for a long time if not forever (with a couple exceptions).

Red Sox made some big moves but honestly, I don't expect them to win the world series or anything.  They still have a lot of holes to fill in their lineup.  and I can't really remember a time when a team won it all because of the free agents they signed.  it just never seems to quite work out that way.  (not that teams who sign free agents don't win, but teams who bank on their signings usually don't win it all.)

Russell Martin got way overpaid.  His offensive numbers are gonna come back to earth.  He'll always be a good hitter for a catcher but not what he did last year.  plus he's 31.  at the end of that deal you have to expect his body to break down some.

15. For most teams it's not the money. They can afford to pay big bucks for Stanton and yes he's young and talented. That's all well and good but (and I hate to mention him again) but arod was young and talented when he signed with ny and now you have a guy you don't want contractually obligated to play if healthy. Takes roids and misses the ball. Once again not saying same situation but it's the years that get me not the money. What if he gets the yips? What if he can't hit in ten years (he'd still have three years in his deal) what if he gets injured and is never the same? They have the
    Money it's the LONG term obligation to someone. I do t believe ANY contract should span more than 5 years in sports. 13 years is a mistake. Plain and simple

The Dank Knight

16. Lol why is Aaron Boone a candidate? I didn't think he ever put up great numbers maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how this works really. Is every retired player a candidate? I thought only exceptional players were considered. 2003 was awesome but it was one at bat lol.

The Dank Knight

17. That 1 at bat was all he needed. A Boone to the Hall!

'Too blessed to be stressed'

18. Over the Panda thing, now let's go sign Lester, Sabean!!!!!

19. #18159 keyser_soze, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    Soooo Yankees are gonna just not do anything? Ok sweet lets go win us 50 games this year boys! Wooo

The Dank Knight

20. Especially considering all the spending the Sox have been doing. Not sure what NY is doin

'Too blessed to be stressed'