Baseball Official Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Philly, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Oh, look

Red Sox are down 10-0

And it's 11-0 before I can even finish this post

2. Wow, anyone else watching this ass-kicking? 14 to 1 now bottom of 7th. 

3. Lester traded for Coespedes ...wow. What were the A's thinking? I know pitching wins but JFC -- Cespedes can be a perennial All Star.

4. Wow lester and gomes to the A's for Cespedes blockbuster trade

Cespedes has been HOT since the break

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Lol A's. You don't trade a player like Cespedes for a rental, especially when said rental has publicly stated a desire to resign with the team that traded him this coming offseason. 

6. Did that trade actually happen? If so that's really dumb. I thought they'd be taking about the trade on sportscenter but no typical shitty typical espn has been talking about ray rice for the past hour

7. TIGERS GET DAVID PRICE!!! WE HAVE THE LAST THREE CY YOUNG WINNERS!!!

8. Wow wtf price to tigers what a crazy deadline last day trades

9. And now with the price trade it looks even more stupid. Lol

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. The names of the tigers look better but the A's have them on the stats

11. #17912 SoulessStoner, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    What's awesome for Detroit is they can get the compensatory pick for Scherzer this coming Winter and get one for Price if they don't lock him up the following year.

Drew Smyly will probably excel in Tampa.  It'll be sad to not see Austin Jackson running down balls in Comerica's huge CF any more. I will forever remember him throwing out an Indians runner at home for the last out of the game I was at back in August 2011. Preserved Jose Valverde's perfect season save-wise. Hopefully the kid (Adames) doesn't come back to burn us in the future. He must be highly regarded though, because an initial glance says the Tigers stole David Price considering he's under contract for next season.

Edit: Steal probably isn't the right word. A young LHP, a starting CF, and a prospect is a steep price but I figured the Rays would have gotten more.

12. #17913 TimothyTheFirst, Aug 1, 2014
    kinda sad to see austin jackson gone, I always liked him.  plus he's one of the guys that's been there for a while. (at least in baseball terms).

I like the price trade though.  Ezequiel carerra has been tearing up triple a and they've been trying to find a way to get him into the big leagues all season.  and rajai davis isn't terrible.

honestly I feel like oakland got worse at the deadline.  their offense just took a huge step back.  their pitching improved adding lester but I think they lost a more important piece than they got.

13. I don't trust Rajai to stay healthy 

14. Cespedes has a cannon for an arm! Good lord!

Who has the strongest arm in the outfield right now?

Im leaning towards Puig or Cespedes.

15. Other than the red sox losing lester and gomes .. The addition of Cespedes is pretty huge .. he's a cannon at the plate and even in the field. I really like the dude Cuba sure is shining this year in the MLB to name a few being Cespedes , Yasiel, and rookie Abreu having a great season

16. #17917 TimothyTheFirst, Aug 1, 2014

he's gonna split time with Ezequiel carrera, and jd martinez will probably be an almost every day player in left at least until dirks comes back.  so rajais workload probably won't increase too much.  I'm not worried.

I saw puig in person a few weeks ago.  i mean it's impressive on tv but when you see him fire one in from right in person it's pretty crazy.  

17. Meh on Cespedes leaving the A's. He's a great player, but he's regressed offensively every year he's been in the league. Fenway Park will improve his numbers offensively, but for Oakland I don't think it matters because this is a premium talent that will command a lot of money after the 2015 season...more than likely the kind of money that causes players to leave the Athletics organization.

After they traded Addison Russell to Chicago for Samardzija and Hammel, they didn't have what the Rays wanted (shortstop help, where they've been historically pretty awful). Detroit did. I think that's why Oakland got Lester instead: Rays were looking for a couple specific cost-controllable areas to patch for the long-term, while Boston is trying to retool everything on the fly.

Good move for Boston though. I know Lester said he wants to re-up in Boston, and there's no chance he stays in Oakland beyond the remainder of the season and post-season, but I think there will be plenty of suitors for him. Perhaps a few willing to out-spend the Red Sox. Maybe that's enough incentive for Lester. If it happened with Pujols...

18. A salute to Jim Thome, my all-time favorite baseball player, consummate professional, one of the nicest guys in the game and one of the greatest power hitters the game has ever seen. He signed a one-day contract with the Indians today and retired, while Cleveland unveiled a statue of Thome at Progressive Field.

Growing up, I always imitated Thome when I played ball. The way he hit, the stance, the bat extension and rotation, the power-generating swing.

ALL HAIL!

19. If the braves can manage to win these next 2 vs the nats we'll still have a good shot at the NL east which is amazing considering how shitty we've been