How often do you guys "burp" youre jars during curing?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by wdissident, Oct 14, 2010.

1. How often do you guys "burp" youre jars during curing?

2. first week after the drying, i burp every day first 3-5 days and then every other day for rest of that week or so. After that once or twice a week if that. Prevention is the key!

-BH

3. what u mean first week after drying. assuming it takes a week to dry you mean?

4. no, u feel the bud till the are dry to touch, and stems almost break at snap, u want a little moisture. first week after u put in jars u want to open every day, twice first day if your paranoid. after first week every other day.

Just make sure to check very throughly first days and before you put in jars for mould. Prevention is the key!

5. i only have one jar since i just got back into growing, i burb it a couple time s a day the first week ( i only dry for 4 days or so, i let them get crispy on the outside)

the moisture that is retained is taking me about 2 weeks to completely remove it after lettin the buds breath.

but thelonger it takes, the better the smoke. the potency and headiness has definately improved drastically, along with the flavor of the herb from 4 day dry to 2 .5 week cure

6. Thanks for the info

7. So if I understand this right, I will wanna open the jars once or twice a day everday for the first week and then the second week I will wanna open them about every other day for an hour or so. After the second week is up do they still need to be opened up any from time to time or should they be left alone to cure.

I read one article that recommend pouring your buds out on a tray or poster board for an hour instead of just opening the lid.

8. Right. I always take the bud out for a few mins. to check for mold. I do it once a day for weeks one and every few days after that.

9. So after i let my buds to dry for like 3 days and they are crispy but not too dry, how much time do i keep them in my jar till i open it ??

10. I like to check them about 4-5 hours after they go in to give them a feel. They will return to a more moist feel if they need more time. If they do need a bit longer I take them out of the jar and rearrange them and add some cut brown paper bag strips and put them back in with some room at the top and leave the lid off until they start to feel dry again. I then remove the paper and put them back in the jar, then repeat if they moisten up too much but that seldom happens to me. Sometimes you'll get that dry time just perfect and they'll feel just perfect after 4-24 hours... If this is the case then your in the zone... Burp, remove buds twice a day to rearrange them once they smell, feel, taste perfect your there... Always keep them in the dark and a cool constant temperature, this is key for me... Another method is to use small hygrometer, you can get these online or from a reptile store, they cost a dollar or two. You don't need anything fancy, the cheap ones work just fine. Put the hygrometer in the jar with your buds and wait the same amount of time, 4-5 hours and check the hygrometer. For me I let them dry until they are 70% rh I then burp twice a day until they reach 62-65 rh then seal jars for long term storage. Either way I've done with consistent good results. Just remember that once they're too dry it's game over but you really want them a little bit moist and slow dry that moisture until you reach your target rh, it's this slow drying process that will really dictate the quality of the final product and the slower the cure, the better the smoke...
    My2¢

Sent from my LGMS345 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Overnight when i go to sleep, where do i keep my buds? In the jar sealed or unsealed

12. If they're still pretty damp you can leave them out or with the lid off overnight but if they're closer to being dry I'd leave them sealed overnight and burp them accordingly during the day so you can monitor them closely

Sent from my LGMS345 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. How would i know when im done witb the burping process??

14. ^^^
    get u a mini hygrometer,, i only have one and have to switch it to the next jar and let it temper for an hour or 30 mins.. but they are 7 dollars comes wit batteries pretty good stuff...

15. dont let get below 60 ever.

16. post from 2010 u should be ashamed of yourself for bringing it back.

17. i say if its 70% or more dump it out and let it dry for hour more,,, reseal,,, its ok to leave it around 67 overnight but ive been known to reopen and dump out several times over the course of 3 days or so...

18. if its 65-70 i like to just open the tops of the jars... keep in mind this all done in a dark room with 60 RH

19. I hang my buds for 3-5 days depending on how fast they dry. The trimming and jarring process is next. The jars are opened for 5 minutes a day for the first week (watching for mold), the second week is every other day. The third week I open once a week.

20. Do you still have to keep your buds at 60%+ even when you take them out if the jars to lay for a hour before placing them back in again???