Wisconsin cannabis law reform efforts

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by WisconsinNORML, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Kenosha County is currently in the process of banning K2. Personally, I'm ok with that. I'm currently working on a letter to send to the officials to propose decriminalization or at least medical marijuana.

2. Hello all from River Falls, support for cannabis is strong here. Unfortunately lots of people are from Minnesota at UWRF so they arnt very motivated to vote, at least here in Wisconsin. Give it time and until then stay high Wisconsin :smoke:

3. Wow, that's outrageous for 1g

Independents always say that, but never get elected. haha

4. While we are looking (with moderate success) for Sponsoring Republican's for a medical marijuana/marijuana law reform bill, there is a lot of hope for hemp this session.

In addition, we are looking for contacts in ANY Wisconsin CITY or VILLAGE. We are going to put binding referendum (to make a marijuana offense like a $5 traffic ticket) on the ballot in as many cities and villages in November 2012 as possible. This will change the law locally and send a message to legislators statewide.

We need someone at the local level to either talk to the city council and have them change the law or if not then for this individual to file with the clerk, and ideally would run the signature gathering campaign to get it on the ballot. We will support you any way possible.

2011 is about making contacts and fund raising to support our 2012 referendum campaign.

Please think about being one of these contacts. Post here or send a message to nate@winorml.org

5. For all of your Madison NORML and Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Festival needs, come to our new web store. madsterdam.org

Over time, we will add more selections and rarities.

Every cent after the monthly fee for the webstore hosting goes towards the marijuana law reform movement in Wisconsin and to the all volunteer organization Madison NORML. Membership in Madison NORML is as low as $4.20 . See the Madison NORML membership section at madsterdam.org for details.

6. (Madison NORML Examiner looks back at the Wisconsin year in cannabis 2010 - Madison norml | Examiner.com)

Madison NORML Examiner looks back at the Wisconsin year in cannabis 2010

MADISON: The year 2010 was a breakthrough year for cannabis in
    Wisconsin. While the year began with medical cannabis legislation that
    ultimately failed to pass, efforts to support the bill helped lay the
    base for new heights in cannabis activism that saw major media coverage,
    statewide events and the formation of new alliances and groups dedicated
    to changing cannabis laws. In between were many developments including
    elections that on one hand brought Wisconsin two historic medical
    cannabis electoral wins, but on the other saw a reshuffling of state
    government that ousted allies and elevated opponents to powerful
    positions.

Read full article with slideshow and video:
    (Madison NORML Examiner looks back at the Wisconsin year in cannabis 2010 - Madison norml | Examiner.com)

7. All Wisconsin residents should call their legislators and voice their support for cannabis law reform.

This supports the platform of jobs, smaller government, more business, and has a bonus of tax revenue without raising taxes on corporations or citizens.

Who are my legislators? http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

8. Will there be any other shirts made than just the NORML Wisconsin one? Also, if someone starts gathering signatures for the madison area, I would sign and get friends at high school to sign. Would they need to be 18? I am, but a lot of people are still 17. Id love to see change come to such a strict state.

9. There are other shirts, we just have to inventory and get pics of them. Should be more up by February.

Also, people who collect signatures don't have to be 18, and for the ballot initiative, the people whose signatures you collect just have to be eligible for the election that the referendum will be voted on.

Hope this helps.

10. #31 WisconsinNORML, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    schedule and an update

Milwaukee/Southeastern NORML meeting
    Monday, January 17th 2011 at 6:30pm – 8:30pm (weather permitting)
    The Brewing Grounds for Change located at 2008 North Farwell Avenue in Milwaukee

Madison NORML meeting
    Monday, January 24th 2011 at 7:00pm - 9:00pm
    Wil-Mar Center 953 Jenifer St Madison, WI

Northern Wisconsin NORML mixer with Wisconsin Teapot Party
    Tuesday, January 18th 2011 at 6:30pm – 7:30pm
    Berlin Public Library, 121 W Park Ave, Berlin WI 54923

Southwestern Wisconsin is working to set up a chapter kick off event in June of this year. The proposed gathering will be in Arena, Wisconsin at A Better Buzz coffee shop. More information to come.

11. Ill be there!!:D

Thanks for posting, sometimes its hard to find out when these events are

12. okay, any idea by what time the signers would have to be 18? I wouldnt wanna collect a bunch of signatures for naught. And is there an official WINORML form that I should have them signing on?

13. Anyone know if this it still going on tonight?

14. I'd like to know that too! The weather sure was too lovely today though, wouldn't be surprised if it's rescheduled.

15. I'd go - I aint skeered;)
    Im gonna go just in case its not canceled

16. Did anyone make it to the Milwaukee meeting?

If so, can you provide a short update?

Thanks

17. They have to be signatures of those eligible to vote in the election in which the referendum would be on the ballot.

Might talk to your city or village clerk to see when it's likely to be on the ballot (Spring 2012 or Fall 2012 - there is no Fall 2011 general election)

18. Sadly my mother-in-law came home and wrecked my plans:mad::(