Extended Night period before harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Pastivity, Oct 4, 2010.

1. i'm gonna give this a shot i think.. it's my first grow though, so nothing to compare to. i'll take a picture before lights out tonight and another when i open it up at harvest.

2. Okay, so, I took a before and after picture of the same bud, however the lighting is different (Broke the on/off switch on my timer when I turned the lights off, so I couldn't turn them back on easily)

Anyway, my first grow, so don't hate on it too much haha. They were given ~60 hours of darkness.

Before darkness:
    [​IMG]

After 70 hours darkness:
    [​IMG]

If you ask me, I don't think it really improved the size of the colas by much (no more than just letting them grow another 3 days), but they do look a lot more trich-y now.. that could also be from the extra 3 days though. It'd be a lot easier to tell if I ran two plants side by side. Unfortunately.. my grow is a micro/stealth grow. Let me know what you guys think!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to give your crop anything other then 12/12, none. I worked for a large grow op in Canada in the late 90s and they did experiments all the time and this 2-3 days of darkness before harvest myth was dis-proven over and over again.

4. They say the dark period stops the plant from photosynthesis and thus improve the taste of the smoke.

5. do you water the plant when its in the dark period?

6. I dont, at this point you should of flushed it at least once (if organic) or 3 times (if chemicals) and so they should be good and wet. Besides, if you go in your room to water, good chance you will bring some daylight with you and that will stress them out.

7. Possibly dumb question. Swim has a dwc and during these dark periods, the res temp gets to about 54 degrees. Since the plant is already ending its life cycle, could this cause any problems during the final darkness period?

During its life cycle, it also dipped a drew times for a few hours to 58 but most of the time, it stays at 65f

8. #148 RichardDean, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
    Ive tried this all kinds of ways over my 12 yearz growing. I chalk it up to stoner science alongwith phing and flushing in a proper living soil. Just not needed. I will tell u there is benefit to chopping right before sun up or lights on but the extended period no doesnt do anything when a plants ready its ready.

I realize this post is old as a muthafuk, but props to you for being a smart guy. You made a well-argued point that sounds very plausible.

10. I have done a 36 hour dark period. Without doing side-by-side comparison I am not sure how much it helped. It was extremely humid in the room and the buds were on the verge of being wet so make sure you have a dehumidifier in the flower room. Any longer or wetter than this and they would have begun to mold.

11. I'm very curious of your input on the Sensi-Star. A local collective states that is one of the best kinds for Glaucoma patients. I'd love to incorporate that into my list of flavors :)

12. Mmmmm?? They found that a plant will continue to flower in extended periods of total darkness....FOLLOWED BY....DRUM ROLL PLZ...No resin increase or triche production during extended night period.
    I have a hard time believing BOTH of these scenarios.:ph34r::huh:

Sent from my LG-L38C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Me I Just let my Cream Caramel Auto in the dark for 7 days. I noticed a lot more cristals on day 4. I've seen something somewhere on internet saying the dark period should be 10 days. I believe it. Mine really got better From beeing in the dark longer. Even if it's an autoflower.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I know this is an old thread but their seems to be a bunch of pros on this topic on this thread. lol.  
    Did you guys start the dark period once the plant was already peaking and ready to chop? OR once it has a few days til it is ripe?
    I will try this for at least 5 days.
    my city is very humid any suggestions with that? I was thinking a bunch of fans and in front of the fans frozen water bottles so it can act as a mini a/c maybe imitating winter?
    what do you guys think?

15. Last year Ive put my autos for 10 days of dark before harvest. Loved the results. Plenty of cristals.

16. Hey guys this is an old post, not many picture friendly people! At least for those who say they have tried the darkness cycle to see if there's any difference! I dont think the guy above was understanding that the 7-10 days of darkness it's normal the trichomes are gonna burst out, your literally almost time to start the cure!..loll
    Not trying to be an ass but all weed once drying has gone past 50% before the cure build trichomes, I will add a pic and will re add another after the 72 hour period of darkness just before chop and harvest! Just before lights out! Gonna be hard to tell because shes already loaded with trichs!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nice!!
    Very old thread[​IMG]lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Space cowboy!! Hahaha good one hunter!
    Hadn't noticed how really out to date til you mentioned it! Just skipped to the end and posted! Guy up there was funny saying 10 days in dark...might as well say skip drying go straight to curing!..loll

• Like Like x 1
  19. What's your thoughts on the night period hunter?

20. True, That !
    Let us know if you notice any increase in the smell, too....They say it increases the terpine production ,as well...

• Like Like x 1