Extended Night period before harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Pastivity, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I have not came across another thread that covered this in detail
    So I will ask the questions,

Should the lights be kept off before harvest?
    If so how long, and how effective is it on an Auto Flowering Plant?

What can we expect as a result from the extended darkness?
    Highly resonated buds?

And finally, does anyone have any pics of a before and after an extended darkness period?
    How about for automatics or photoperiod plants?

Thanks to all who gives it a try :wave:

2. When you turn the lights off for the last 3 days its signaling to the plant that its the dead of winter and in a last ditch effort the plant will use up its remaining thc to fatten up and try to get pregnet. the suposed effects should make more dense and potent buds. I was reading a article in high times and they interviewed a medical dispensery who practiced this technique and they swore by it. The typical amount of time is 3 days with the lights off, you need atleast 24 hours to notice results.

hope this helps a little

3. ++repped

4. Yea thats what I have been reading
    I may do it for 36 hours
    To see if I notice any difference with the next time I grow

5. I'm gonna try that this year for 48 hours, I assume it's okay to bring an outdoor plant inside for 48 hours before harvest?

6. Yah that's fine

7. #7 AirJordan, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
    Im testing this out as we speak.I'm on 30hrs(Day2) of darkness.I do see improvement.The buds are a lil more dense and seem to smell more skunky.There should be more improvement on Friday during harvest time.

8. My harvest is just about ready. Cutting her down tomorrow night which would be 72 hours of darkness. Don't have anything to compare it to, this will be my first.

9. A before and after picture would be great

10. Does anyone have any pictures to share?
    Close ups would be ideal

11. How are you seeing results during a 30hr dark period without light leaks? :eek:

12. You can use a green light bulb to work on the plants during their dark cycle. It won't affect them

13. + repped again.

Used this method for my first harvest, only did 24 hours though. Crop turned out a lot more sticky and resinous then I thought it would :eek:

14. Been getting some great testimonials here
    Now how about the buds
    Does signalling the plant of imminent death make buds less dense then normal?
    Basically, does the loss of a few days of light impact the bud sizes?
    Thanks again all

15. it impacts in a positive way by making them more dense

16. I feeling a lot better about trying this method before the harvest
    Only thing is how will it effect Autos?
    Since photoperiods do not impact the flowering process
    How good would this method work?
    Still learning so haven't had time to test all my questions out :D

Attached Files:

17. i dont see why it wouldnt work with autos

18. I think it would still work on autoflowering plants because they don't use the photo period to begin flowering but if you don't give it any light at all then it will still think it is dying.

19. Eh, no camera at the time. I could see a small difference but I just did 1 plant under 6 CFLs so I'm sure it didn't really matter.

• Like Like x 1