Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

General anxiety disorder

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Keek, Sep 24, 2010.

1. My apologies if there are other topics floating around about this, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

My girlfriend has GAD. She's been on SSRIs for years. I'm sort of weary of SSRIs, but they've been working for her fairly well until recently. A pretty bad storm blew through, she was really stressed out by it, and she's started having fairly bad anxiety. She worries about everything, and feels depressed, and angry all the time. She said she'll be fine after her next doctor's appointment, because he'll tweak her meds.

She is completely against drug usage, including marijuana, but I'd like to know if anybody here has any experience with GAD and the herb, or knows of any sort of articles on it. I did a quick google search but most of the articles said stuff like "Don't use marijuana because it causes brain damage" which immediately turned me off to them.

Could she benefit from the herb? Or could it make her anxiety worse? I know a few times I've smoked I've freaked the fuck out. Any thoughts, opinions, facts, or experiences GC? Thanks.

2. yes, it more then likely would help. If it doesn't then stop.

But cannabis is a MUCH safer and practical approach then prescription meds in this case. Those meds are really bad for you, and your brain chemistry. Cannabis is not bad for your brain, and you have nothing to worry about.

Also, explain to her the dangers of her prescriptions, and the benefits of cannabis

3. I have Anxiety and depression some times really bad and i take medical marijuana for that.
    but i would research in to what strains are best for anxiety.

I have had top44 which was a pure indica that would help my anxiety
    also diesel and nyc diesel which are sativa.

i remember my first time i was on a train in france it was getting late and i was worried in case i missed the ferry and i started to feel anxiety and panic coming on
    this guy sitting next to me got out a joint and started smoking it "you where allowed to smoke on trains back then" and i breathed in the smoke that filled the air and i feel relaxed and happy like i had no worries in the world.

some nights iv felt really low and indica helps me rest and calm down.

i am against drugs "not marijuana" more like ssri's and anti depressants i believe they do more harm then good and i lost my uncle to them

i think marijuana helps a person calm down and take a step back to take a good look at life and try and think about the issues at hand and how to deal with them.

Just my 2 cents worth

4. I have Acute Anxiety Disorder, meaning it just comes out of nowhere for no reason, coupled with Biploar II, meaning more downs than up. Maryjane has done nothing but good for me. I've been on 12 different medications in the last year, none of which worked and then I tried smoking and it fixed everything.

What I wanted was something instant, that would be an as needed treatment and I got that with bud.

5. a good indica will do the trick for the anxiety if your gonna smoke a sativa make sure nothing is bothering you, for example if you think your ugly youll probably think your super ugly if you smoke lol. stay happy ;)

6. Apparently not.

I have GAD and for me it makes it worse. Though drugs effect people differently. Some say it helps

7. I have switched off of my ssri's when I began smoking, I have ADHD and anxiety and herb has been helping me a lot more than the meds. I talked to my doctor and analgesics in general also reduce anxiet. With this in mind, I do believe that pain relieving strains will also work well with anxiety.... Then again weed in general has analgesic properties.

8. mary jane can make anxiety worse if your not happy in your surroundings or when you toke up.

When i toked up once i was in my room i calmed down and was relaxing everything was fine. Then a member of my family started a argument and i had to go down stairs and i was out of my comfort zone and i had a pretty messed up anxiety/panic attack which went after i returned to my room and relaxed for a while.

I believe it amplifies what you are feeling.

9. Good point.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely going to bring it up to her now. Fingers crossed that she's open to try it.

10. good luck man.

11. It helps mine. I don't know why, but for me anxiety is caused by worry about my future with my business slowing down. For some reason, it is easier for me to tell myself to stop worrying when I have just a bit of MJ.

Again, it's just my experience, but it takes a very little bit and I don't have to get really high. I have xanax in the cupboard, but I don't use it much as the weed seems to work better and what I know of xanax (and all benzodiazapines) is that they are very addictive, tolerance builds up fast, and withdrawal is a bitch.

12. just bumping this. When i smoke a sativa i let everything on my mind get to me, its weird. Like if someone says they have a stomache ache, i think i do too. It happened to me the other day and i almost puked everywhere.

ive never noticed this with an indica, but i havent smoked an indica in a while. ill be putting this to the test soon though.

13. #13 Derrick1284, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
    Weeds a funny thing when it comes to anxiety. What I mean is that it can actually sometimes make anxiety worse, but other times it will completely get rid of it. I've struggled with anxiety for a while. (it turned into depression at one point) weed can sometimes make me think I have medical disorders I don't have. Like if I think about appendicitis, I'll feel stomach pain, and convince myself it's really bad. I'm an odd character sometimes lol. Over time though, marijuana has gotten rid of almost all of the anxieties I used to have. I honestly don't think the same way I used to anymore, and weed is the only thing I've been taking.

By the way I figure I should add that benzos FUCK me up. If I take too little I feel nothing. Take a little bit more than that, and I think im sober, but really i'm saying things to people that are quite inappropriate and weird. Also my voice is slurred and I don't even notice it. I feel really confused and all I can really do is lay in bed and watch tv. I never get homework done on them. As for any type of anti-depressant? FUCK THAT.

14. i was recently diagnosed with gad..along with finding out i've had it for years. weed has helped me immensely. it helps you see your fears and problems in a different light