• Sep 24 2010 04:25 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

I am looking for a hood/reflector for a 1000w HPS light. The websites that I have been checking offer many dif sizes, finishes, and shapes and I just don't know how to choose the best one. I know that I want a xxxl to get the maximum light-print. But what shape? What size is too big?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Replies (17)

• Ideas are bullet proof

• housefullOweed
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:55 AM

Are you looking for air cooled or open? I use this reflector for a 6x6 grow tent and it works perfectly for it not a bad price either.
$111 air cooled reflector www.dchydro.com

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:10 AM

Are you looking for air cooled or open? I use this reflector for a 6x6 grow tent and it works perfectly for it not a bad price either.

Air-cooled. I know how much heat a 600w bulb can give off so I know that I am going to need a air-cooled.

Would the increase in coverage area be worth dropping $200 for this:
http://www.htgsupply...productID=55053

Edited by Grandaddy Purp, 24 September 2010 - 05:14 AM.

• Ideas are bullet proof

• housefullOweed
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

Air-cooled. I know how much heat a 600w bulb can give off so I know that I am going to need a air-cooled.

Would the increase in coverage area be worth dropping $200 for this:
High Tech Garden Supply

I really couldn't tell you man, what i can tell you is the more light you dispense over a larger space the less intense the light is going to be so really your prolly gonna get the same result just over a larger area.

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:28 AM

I really couldn't tell you man, what i can tell you is the more light you dispense over a larger space the less intense the light is going to be so really your prolly gonna get the same result just over a larger area.

Makes sense.. But then I still cant decide which would be better.

The larger one would allow for more area for the plants to live in which = a larger canopy and strong plants.

But the smaller one means more concentration and less time for that plants to fill the canopy and absorb every lumen they can...

Decisions, decisions...:confused:

• Ideas are bullet proof

• housefullOweed
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

Well man that max area a 1000 watter should be covering is really a 4x4 area the hydrofarm will do that just fine and it is $111 so thats 89 reasons to go with it lol.

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Well man that max area a 1000 watter should be covering is really a 4x4 area the hydrofarm will do that just fine and it is $111 so thats 89 reasons to go with it lol.

Those are some good reasons haha.

I appreciate the info bro

• MJGoon
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Can anyone tell me how these air cooled shades stack up as far as light distribution goes? Here's a link
BATWING - 400mm x 600mm - ALUM. DIMPLE REFLECTOR - eBay Other Hydroponics, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 27-Sep-10 11:53:03 AEST)

I am currently using something along the lines of this one and want something that is gonna be as good if not better----> BATWING - 400mm x 600mm - ALUM. DIMPLE REFLECTOR - eBay Other Hydroponics, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 27-Sep-10 11:53:03 AEST)

I figure i need air cooled shades as my room is pretty hot atm and it's not even summer yet.

• is in the clouds

• DrTrichome
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

If you want a big light footprint and don't want to spend 200 on a Chinese knock-off (htg style) the hydrofarm mondo is a good way to go.

Hydrofarm - 6" AC Mondo Reflector w/ flanges & lens

• is in the clouds

• DrTrichome
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Damn I thought that looked like a killer deal on the radiant but the shipping is outrageous! $75 just to ship that one item to CA is insane.

• East Coast Greenz

• LeGaLgRoWeR
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Can anyone tell me how these air cooled shades stack up as far as light distribution goes? Here's a link
BATWING - 400mm x 600mm - ALUM. DIMPLE REFLECTOR - eBay Other Hydroponics, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 27-Sep-10 11:53:03 AEST)

I am currently using something along the lines of this one and want something that is gonna be as good if not better----> BATWING - 400mm x 600mm - ALUM. DIMPLE REFLECTOR - eBay Other Hydroponics, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 27-Sep-10 11:53:03 AEST)

I figure i need air cooled shades as my room is pretty hot atm and it's not even summer yet.

Those are not air cooled shades my friend.

• East Coast Greenz

• LeGaLgRoWeR
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

Go with the Big Kahuna........great spread on this thing.....it allows me to get the light close and keep a decent sized light print area.

High Tech Garden Supply

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

If you want a big light footprint and don't want to spend 200 on a Chinese knock-off (htg style) the hydrofarm mondo is a good way to go.

Hydrofarm - 6" AC Mondo Reflector w/ flanges & lens

I am probably going to go with the Mondo or the Radiant. Thanks for the help!

• tplat
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

You can also check Craigslist for some hoods, seens some on there at a pretty good prices. I paid $115 for the radiant 6" hood at Good Nature Garden Supply in Sac.

• PipPipPip
  • Grandaddy Purp
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

You can also check Craigslist for some hoods, seens some on there at a pretty good prices. I paid $115 for the radiant 6" hood at Good Nature Garden Supply in Sac.

Thanks!

How do you like your Radiant 6"?

• is in the clouds

• DrTrichome
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

No problem man. The radiant is a great hood too but you could also get the Xtrasun which is about the same size for quite a bit less. I have one of them and I actually like it a lot.

Xtrasun 6" White Reflector - Air Coolable

• tplat
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thanks!

How do you like your Radiant 6"?

Working pretty good for a 5X5 grow area, plenty of light penetration. Runs nice and cool with a 435cfm fan hooked upto it.

• MJGoon
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

Those are not air cooled shades my friend.

SHIT MAN YOU ARE RIGHT. MY BAD POSTED THE WRONG LINK. That link is the type of shade i already have, just wondering how something like this would compare COOL TUBE 150MM X 600MM WITH WHITE SHADE - eBay Other Hydroponics, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 13-Oct-10 21:34:14 AEDST)

At 150mm wide they just don't seem wide enough, but i guess because they are ducted you can have em extra close to the canopy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 1999 - 2015 420Network BV | All rights reserved