shopping list for beginners and other useful information

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by housefullOweed, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Thanks for the info man i was not aware that all digital ballast were switchable.

Grats on the upgrade man pretty nice for the price, and i would love to talk you into putting a 1k watter into that space as the more power the better, but i honestly don't think you have the space to take full advantage of that light.

2. thanks its very thourough and its what i've need thanks again

3. i was looking for a nutrient schedule... could you recommend one?

4. wow great thread.:eek:

5. #25 housefullOweed, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    Hydro or soil?
    I can not speak personally on using any nutrient schedule for hydro, i can tell you that many people use the lucas formula and get great results with it. Lucas Formula I also can not speak personally on using chemical ferts in soil, i am currently on my first grow and am using the vic super soil recipe i have listed in my first post. Its a water only mix so my plants are pre feed and the feeding schedule is determined by the micro organisms ability to break down food for it, it seems to be working great so far.

Here is some info on fertilizing with soil sorry i couldnt have been more help.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/330991-fertilizing-wisely.html

6. soil.... thanks for the link, it was very helpful....:D

7. Thank you for all that information! It's going to take forever to work through it, digest and come to some decisions on what to do.

I'm a little frustrated by the whole cost one must have upfront . . . no offense, but some of the growers here are a little "elitist" when it comes to lighting, and all the fancy shit.

I'm a mother of four (ages 9, 8, 6, & 4) as well as married to a disabled vet. Both my husband and I are fulltime college students (err, I was until my pain issue). Is it realistic that someone like myself can afford 1-1.5K upfront, start cost? hell no!

Is there a way you could make a list of "on the cheap" for growers such as I, that are on a limited income. A list that would get us started and ideas for what to save up for to buy later?

I think you have a wealth of knowledge in this post, but at the same time, I think it is really unfortunate to consider those who can't spend that amount as not serious growers. (I hope this makes sense) Would it be possible for you to construct a list such as this for those who cannot buy most of your materials listed all at the same time?

Again, thank you for taking the time, effort and knowledge for this post. Please don't discredit those of us who financially cannot do such a set up as unserious growers, etc.

8. #28 housefullOweed, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    In no way am i saying that you need to purchase all of the materials i listed here to grow but most of them are very good to have, and if you put together some of the options i have here it would not come out any where near 1k. This is simply a broad overview of all of the equipment you would benefit from having, and the budgets i put there are to allow for some extra cash for the many ends and out you will have when putting your system together.

I am not elitest when it comes to lighting i am simply realistic and speaking about what i know about, the type of system i put together for my self... In the state i live i would go to jail for a very very long time for cultivation if i got caught, so i do not consider it worth the risk of going to jail for growing minimal amounts of weed with cfls...

Here is a list of the absolute must haves
    lighting this is optional you can go with cfls but again i don't consider going to jail for years for cultivating 14 grams of weed an option.
    $80 digital 400 watt ballast www.dchydro.com
    $9 s to h adapter www.dchydro.com
    $114 www.dchydro.com
    $30 400 watt hps www.dchydro.com
    $30 400 watt metal halide 5500k 400 watt metal halid - Google zoeken again you could go with cfls to veg to save some money on your power bill.

lighting accessory's
    $18 digital timer www.dchydro.com you can get one cheaper locally but make sure its grounded and can hold the electrical load you are putting it on.
    $18 adjustable light hangers www.dchydro.com you can go with chain but the adjustable feature is convenient.

Ventilation and climate control
    $23 hygro-thermometer www.dchydro.com
    $2 x4 6 inch ducting clamps home depot
    $20 6 inch flexible ducting home depot
    $20 oscillating fan LASKO 16 In. Oscillating Stand Fan - 2520 at The Home Depot
    $114 fan CAP Duct 6" Centrifugal Fan 435 CFM inline vortex 6 on eBay!
    $100 carbon filter High Tech Garden Supply
    $20 fan speed controller optional High Tech Garden Supply

Misc supply's
    $7 PH test kit www.dchydro.com
    I would suggest a digital PH meter but i have no experience with any can some one suggest a good one?
    $7.50 PH up www.dchydro.com
    $7.50 PH down www.dchydro.com
    $37 TDS meter www.dchydro.com

I dont know if your situation requires a grow tent so im going to assume it does, so here $109 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/4x4x6-5-Hydroponics-Grow-Hydro-Cabinet/dp/B001GFQV10"]Amazon.com: 4x4x6.5 Ft Hydroponics Grow Tent Hydro Box Hut Cabinet: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

I cant believe these dchydro prices have went up so much since i listed this im glad i bought all my equipment when i did, to find the best prices on all of these items use. 4x4x6 grow tent - Google zoeken

The only price that includes shipping and handling is the ebay link for the fan so all of this equipment excluding shipping and handling comes out to $773, i know its a large investment, but thinking of all the money i have spent over the years on over priced weed makes me sick as im sure it does you... I have wanted to grow for 7 years but i have always been lacking the place to do it or the money to finance it. I finally ended up winning $1500 on a slot machine and had the perfect place to do it so im on my way with my first plant, heres a pic of my first mother plant and her future home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Thank you for the above! I apologize if I was snarky/rude. I'm just a little frustrated with my attempts thus far, compared to others, esp. Being on a limited income and wanting to do well is a great frustration to me . . . plus I'm a little (psycho) competitive.

Again, thank you for all the info, you've typed out in this thread! :hello:

10. NP if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

11. hells to the yeah... don't need lots of doe to grow....

bump tastic

12. To much good info to let it stay buried...

13. #34 housefullOweed, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
    I did my best to explain the dangers of using it in a grow space dont you think? if not what should i add to better explain it?

14. :hello: Very Nice Thread +rep. You mentioned that prices went up at dchydro.com. Others have mentioned this and I will too even though you are probably aware, Amazon and ebay are always at least worth checking before ordering supplies. I'm probably gonna order most of my stuff from a specific grow store, but am still gonna get a few items from ebay and amazon because I can get free shipping or its cheaper.

I was looking into possible ozone generator for odor control and was interested to find the results. :eek: I don't think I would consider this option now even if I had separate living/grow space. I'm almost positive my middle school science teacher used to run an ozone generator right in our classroom:eek:, or at least she did temporarily because I remember the class talking about it. This was the advanced class too, :D:smoke::smoke:.

15. Yeah i dunno whats up with DC hydros prices when i bought my equipment i got some of it for half the price they are charging now, maybe they are making there shipping cheaper and there pricing higher lol. As far as ozone goes its really over kill for a closet grow but it can be a nice piece of equipment to have for a larger grow, as long as you have your ventilation set up properly all should be good...

16. Nice thread, will need to clean it up a bit to be sticky worthy though.

17. Great thread man, I threw this in my bookmarks - LOTS of info, thnx dude!

18. Holy bajeezus. This is awesome.