Ventilation and fan/filter combo thoughts

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Johny Apple DWC, Sep 22, 2010.

1. So I'm wondering if I have two 400 cfm fans pulling air out of my room would it be pulling 800 cfm total or just 400 still. I ask because I want to know how to match cfm on the intake side to equal out the pressure . Also does anyone have a tried and true carbon filter/ fan combo they swear by. Looking for something for a larger grow space. I bought a 440 cfm filter and fan from htg and it just doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks guy.

2. yep.. two fans will draft the total cfm of both...

first things first...

how big is your grow area?... is it a whole room or a small space you made?
    how hot is the intake air?
    how hot is the out take air?
    size of lighting being used? increased lighting creates more heat
    bubble buckets or soil? pumps produce heat
    how big is the intake hole and how big is the exhaust hole?
    exhausting into the same room or to the attic or another room? or is it super close to your intake hole?
    any pictures of your grow?
    carbon filter? ona jell or ozone generator?

don't buy anything just yet

lets start there

3. #3 Tihspeed, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    ok.... so me being me and not taking my meds... i got bored.....

you have two rooms your using one to veg and one to flower....

which one has the most heat... i'd assume its the one with the two 600's in there

I can see you have been having problems for a while and posted in several places... well you haven't been giving the full details of your grow.... and the biggest secret to people helping is pictures.... people love them and flock to answer people who take the time to host them in their thread... try it and see... all that aside lets start with a few basics

first lets start from CFM. a 10x10x10=1000 cubic feet, multiply times a minimum of three for removing the air in your room three times in one minute=3000 CFM's.... now im going to assume with such a large flower room it stinks to high heaven, which is awesome for people who love it but not for the popo..... so add a carbon filter on there and that makes your fan a 6000 CFM rated fan

you say your fan is so strong its tearing the panda film off the wall...... what size of fan is this? it must be huge.... like big enough to crawl threw the duct with a 10x10x10 room

so im going to assume this is my house for a second and its a single story or a two story and were on the second floor..... i need to get cool air from the rest of my house because i don't have an ac unit in the room....... my fan is huge..... like orca huge... so i cut a hole the same size as my ducting and make a light trap on the bottom of my door going into my flower room.... then inside the room ill put my carbon scrubber strapped to the ceiling and the giant fan connected directly to that and ducting going out of my ceiling into my attic where if it stinks super bad im going to put a ozone generator... a huge one

hahahaha....... sorry.... bored and like i said im off my meds at the moment

4. Hmm, I think I had to much negative pressure and thats why the walls came down. I've got some running to do but when I get back I'll take pics and maybe draw a rough diagram of my set up. I'm sure it'll be a lot easier to access once you see whats going on. It truly is a big mess. Thank you thus far, for taking a look. I'll get back to you asap with the info you need.

5. #5 Johny Apple DWC, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    O.k you may have trouble making sense of this but here goes. The first pic is an overview of the two rooms. They are joined by the third room in the rear that spans the combined width of both. The front area with the entrance door is access. Second pick shows main cabinet. Two 6 inch go into roof space and one 5 inch goes to living area. At floor level behind the cabinet doors is a 12 x 14 hole into the flowering area. Note pick three (other side of wall) , it's hard to see but it's on the floor in the right corner there... let me upload these so I know for sure... ...

Attached Files:

6. O.k picture four is my 400 watt grow light with some duct to the 4 inch passive. The other curved vent is a 400 cfm inline fan drawing air into the flower room on the opposite end of the room as the main cabinet. The next picture shows the 464 dayton mounted high drawing air through both 600 watt lights. The other end of the light run starts at the back room and has the 6 inch 274 duct fan pushing air. Also pictured is my carbon filter which pushes air out of the flower room, through the grow area via a curve in the duct work as shown in the last pic, and out into the living area. Confused yet ? Wish I could explain it better but hopefully you kind of get it.

7. Forgot to draw it in the pic but there is a 440 cfm drawing air through my carbon filter mounted right where the walls meet. It pushes it out around the curve there.

8. Ok....... Your right. It's very confusing. This is just the one room with the heat problem right? One thing at a time

so...... Start by answering my questions in my first post even if redundant. Remember we are only going to tackle the room with the heat problem. If the other room effects this room, answer the question then qualify

I have no idea what that second picture even is. A mother cabinet? Or some sort of fan.

It appears you have two separate fans. One for just the lights and another to cool and clean your grow space. Where is the air being drawn from for your lights? Inside or outside your grow space.

You really need to focus on describing your grow with a little more debth. I'll look some more when I get home. On my phone an getting frustrated

9. the drawing really helps... now that i can sit down and see on a full screen rather than my stupid iphone....

i'd have to say you have problems with over engineering.....

i have some questions.... based on your drawing

please answer these or i cannot help you

where is your air coming from?
    does your a/c bring air in? or does it take existing air and cool it?
    why are there so many passive air vents in your grow space?
    do you have two fans hooked up to your lights?
    do you have a fan that pushes air from your veg room to your flower room?
    if your ac cools your basement why are you drafting air from outside?
    whats in that yellow colored area?... why are you pulling air from there when you have an ac unit?

ok.... I really don't have lots of time to sit and wait for the answers so ill just kinda talk for a second and hopefully it will help

first you only need one fan for your two lights in your flower room. ex light, light, fan, air out of room ..... in that order.... so if your system is fan, light, light fan.... just disconnect your intake fan and plug that hole in your wall and take the ducting off as well. air should now just be pulled into your light, then to the next light and then the fan and you need to vent that tubing out of the room.... now your exhausting more air and you now have an extra fan

secondly..... your vegg room... is that just a curtain in there? thats what that squiggly line is? I'd pull that fan out of the wall your ducting air into your flower room and use that fan and connect that from your light in your veg room and run that out of your room where ever your exhausting your carbon scrubbed air....

just doing these things will bring your temps down and you'll have an extra fan... this is assuming you have the two fans hooked to your lights in your flower room

you have a sweet setup your just really pushing lots of air into your flower room and your exhaust fan and carbon scrubber are too small to pull that air out of that room with all that heat... which is why im saying to pull more air out by telling you to duct more air out using your existing fans, not buying another fan.... just duct them out of the rooms as well, not into your flower room

or..... you can get a 6000 CFM fan and replace the one fan connected to your carbon scrubber... and make sure the exhaust is the same diameter the whole way out of what i would assume is your basement....

please tell me this helped you....

10. Well I'm not sure how to answer a lot of this as I've only recently set it up like I have it. Untill now I simply set my AC to 72 and circulated the air between the two rooms. Each room is 10x10x10. Two whole rooms. Three if you count the back section 8x8x20, but thats just storage and access to fresh air right now.
    I don't know how hot the intake or exhaust air is. Intake air was 72 when I used the AC. It would stay about 79 12 inches under the light. I havent run both in awhile so I imagine warmer when that happens. Two 600 flower, and one 400 grow. I'm dwc in 27 gal tubs and 5 gal buckets. That cabinet in question is just a hub where a bunch of holes cut in the walls and ceiling come together.
    At this point I don't know whats drawing or pushing air. I'm willing to change the entire set up. Cut and plug any holes that need be. It's a mess right now. Right now I basically have 400 cfm inline, 440 cfm inlike, 464 cfm duct blower, and two 264 cfm duct boosters...all six inch. And an old badly sized to its fan carbon filter. I know nothing when it comes to setting up for ventilation, obviously lol.

11. well then this answers alot of questions....

you need cool air coming into your grow space...

you have to duct hot air out.....

simple

use all of your fans and duct all the air out of your grow space...

if your using all of those fans it should be enough and you don't have to purchase anything... you'd be moving 1600 CFM's

just make some more carbon filters

either turn on the ac unit or make more air available from the outside...

done

you can leave the holes in your walls open... just make light traps.... if your going to use outside air.. make huge holes like the one large one in the other two walls

12. O.k here we go. It's on the second floor. The front yellow area is my living room, the back is a porch where I recently cut a hole in the outside door for air. Ac just cycles air. I have all the vents because of the suction I seem to have in the rooms (plastic on walls sucking inward). Two fans on lights, one 464 blower and a duct fan at start pushing. Yes I'm pushing air from veg to flower room. I recently have to start pulling air instead of AC because winters coming here. Squiggly line is panda film curtain yes.
    Hmmm, yes a lot of that makes sense. So pull air from inside the flower room and vent it through my lights and out ? Also duct my grow room directly out. And a larger fan/ carbon filter combo would help to keep the heat down ? So what holes should I use to draw/ exhaust air from ? Sorry, I know. You've been really helpful man.

13. Thanks man... um where a good tutorial on light traps ? lol

14. dude its no problem

just use all existing fans and duct them out of your grow space

only use one fan on your two lights and duct that air out

and if you veg room light can be ducted out of there...... duct that air out

and since you removed that intake fan from your lights.... mount that someplace up high and duct that air out as well

now your going to need holes in three walls(you already have one)...... holes into your veg and bloom rooms from the yellow room.... take three pieces of ducting(two feet or so long) 6" and pull them threw the wall and bend them till you cant see light... now you would have a minimum of 18" of air able to move threw your entire grow spaces....

now that all of your fans are pulling air from the grow spaces and moving the hot air out of your rooms..... monitor your temps and you might have to open your door to the outside to get more air... if you find you have to open the door.... figure out some way to enlarge the hole to outside

hope this spells it out... make another drawing once your done... to make sure were on the same page

15. Excellent, I can see what were talking about now. That makes total sense to me man. I tried to rep ya again but apparently I need to spread the love a little first, lol. Anyways it may take a week or so to get time to make all the changes but I'll def redraw the design and snap a few new pics. I'm probably going to pick up another Carbon filter ( Hydrofarm Active air 30" x 16" 300-600 cfm) for my 440 cfm fan. I'll hook the old filter up to my lights and the cfm will be lower and it should work better. Hopefully when I'm finished my whole house will stop stinking. Again I thank you man, hope all goes well in your own endeavors.

16. thanks bro.. i don't know what rep does... sounds like its cool

don't purchase filters, unless your really unhandy.. and it appears your fairly smart...

build your own..... i built mine for less than 30 bucks.... i can replace the carbon and the outer pad for less than 15..at any time..... check out the diy section and yes.... if you add filters to all those fans it going to stink alot less

just remember to duct all fans outside... you need more air leaving your grow room and cool air being pulled in..... when all else fails keep it simple

17. #17 housefullOweed, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    Looking at your diagram i would have to say the main reason for the stink is positive air pressure in your flowering room it looks to me like you have 900 CFM being pulled into the room excluding the intake fan on the lights and you are only pushing out 440 CFM.

[edit] After looking over your diagram for another 10 minutes i realized i was wrong about the 900 CFM but correct about the positive air pressure being the problem.... The entire point of putting an air conditioner in a flowering room is so that you can seal up the room and control the temps and you have not done that, you have created some overly complex conundrum of a ventilation system.To fix your problems you need to remove the blue 400 CFM fan that is blowing into the flowering room from the veg room, remove the red 274 cfm fan from your lights intake, remove the carbon filter and exhaust from the room, and then seal up all of the passive intakes you have opened and add a C02 system. The reason im suggesting you seal up your flowering room is you are pretty much already there minus the c02 system which will cost you around $100 with out the tank and it is a good way to go for a professional grower....

It took me forever to fully understand your system it is way to complicated im going to make a diagram of what i would do if i had your system and grow space to show how simple it can be here is the link....

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=96923&title=set-up2&cat=500

[edit again] I dont know where the fuck my memory has gone i read all of this thread before posting and yet i some how answered all of the questions you have already answered....

I just noticed looking at your pictures that your hoods do not appear to be standard air cooled reflectors did you modify them and turn them into air cooled reflectors? if so do they have a glass insert covering the bulbs to keep the heat in? If not could you provide a link to the reflectors you purchased? And just a suggestion as far as air filtration goes instead of investing in another carbon filter a better idea as long as you are venting to the out doors is to grab an ozone generator because it can filter just as well and it will not restrict the air flow of your exhaust fans.... One more thing that air box or cabinet as you called it is probably restricting the air flow of your lights exhaust so you might want to remove it from the system and your ducting looks terrible it needs to be as straight as possible for maximum air flow......

Your set up is giving me a headache im gonna go hit a bong, or blow my brains out.
    lol jk

18. O.k I should clear this up. Until just three days ago the rooms were completely sealed and I was running an AC and an 18 burner Co2 generator. The reason I'm cutting holes and trying to vent in is for the change over to winter here. My lights aren't vented into that box, they blow diretly into the grow room ( one of many things I need to change).
    My hoods are Radiant reflector by hydrofarm. They are kind of crappy for air cooling with the grated 4 inch holes on em. I'd get the 6 inch ones made for duct if I could do it again, but I didn't anticipate the heat when I first set up. The two 600's have glass and I need to get another kit for the 400. I agree it's a mess right now. It'll get easier once spring comes again. Thank you for the input man, all is appreciated.