Official Disc Golf Discussion.

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by HeadySpaghetti, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Oh, no doubt. But on those crappy days when you can't play, it might be a fun substitute.

2. #22 HeadySpaghetti, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
    Possibly, maybe my brother in law or soemone i know will get it so I can try it out. I don't wanna spend like $100 bills on a PS Move for it to be shitty.

Also on the NON disc golf game. Anyone in the are of these fields?
    Browns Point/Buzzy's Creek\tWest Milford

Brakewell Steel/Warwick\tWarwick

Campgaw Reservation\tMahwah

Fields of Dreams DGC\tGreat Meadows

River's Edge\tShawnee on Delaware

Yetter Park DGC\tEast Stroudsburg

3. Anyone here have an Aerobie Epic or a Super Stupid Soft Gateway disc? Wanted some feedback, my brother in law has the epic and he uses he as a tomahow gets him out of rough shit n goes straight, but I know that disc will go FLYING if you can throw it right off a drive. Anyone experienced with it?
    Also anyone that plays or wants to, post here and keep this thread alive and going, put a lot of work in it for it to disaapear

4. I'm really considering giving this a shot, as it's fairly inexpensive to play even with the initial investment of the discs, and really beats the hell out of spending $100 per round playing regular Golf. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I've been thinking of picking up a Driver, a Mid-Range, and a Putter as a beginner set.

5. Do it man, I think someone else mentioned it earlier, but you can pick up a started set of DX Innova discs for $20 at Sports Authority. It has a driver, a mid and a putter.

No green fees ever (there are some private courses that charge, but you don't have to worry about that yet).

6. One of my buddies had a Super Soft Gateway. He liked it for close putts, but he said it was a little to floppy for anything that had a little distance.

I started out with a Birdie, but that thing was so hard that it usually just bounced right out of the basket. Plus, it was only a 150 so if there was any wind at all it was useless. I switched over to a champion Aviar (165), but it was still a little hard so I grabbed a DX Aviar(160) and it has been great.

I'll post up my regulars tomorrow.

7. Bought some new discs on ebay to try out a variety and see what happens. Thought it would be the cheapest way to experiment.

8. Do it man, read my whole FAQ, you will definitely love it. I suggest you start out with a beginner set to see if you like it. The different plastics (champion, star, dx) aren't going to matter at all for your game, and DX is the most beginner friendly.
    If you have a sports authority, dicks sporting goods, or anything like that around. Go there. Pick up a beginners set with a putter, mid rang, and driver and see how you like it. or if oyu wanna save a little just buy a putter and a driver. I NEVER use a mid range, and I've yet to play with someone who actually does. Mid range basically and usually is a putter, just the edge is a little different angled.

Im hoping the VooDoo i bought is good, because the putters I use now the Pig (Lost it) and now the Rhyno, are nice and easy to grip but they have too much fade and spin on them that when i miss or throw it straight, it curves way too much and early, and when it lands it rolls or spins arond further away from the basic. I never used the Birdie, but I do have a Champion Aviar, which I started to try out ( got it for free when i forgot ot bring a putter, someone gave me it ;) ) and that thing is amazing! Once you learn how to throw it and grip it correctly, that thing flys straight as can be and is always on target. The dx im sure is just as good, but i prefer champion plastic over DX any day.

9. Whatcha get?

10. I'm usually a strict Champion or better, but I was really impressed with the DX Aviar. Has a really good feel in my hand. I was scoping the Rhyno the other day, I've never used one but it felt like I would like it. I have 3 putters right now though, don't think I need anymore (at least until I get the $70 pro bag).

I have a bad problem with fades on my putts, one of the things I started doing to try and compensate is to aim to the right of the basket and try to play the fade rather than shoot a straight putt. It has done wonders for my short game. It was a little awkward at first, but once I got the hang of it I started picking up at least 4 strokes a game. I've also been trying to snap my putts with a little bit more conviction as opposed to floating them in. It sucks bad when you miss, but man it feels good when you crack that shit in.

I use to think that mids were kind of useless, but I started using them for awkward shots, like behind trees or over obstacles and they've been great for that. I had a Roc that I absolutely loved, but I got it stuck in a tree and couldn't get it down. I have a Panther I use as a mid now, but its got a bad turnover so it's kind of weird to use.

11. Honestly, I feel with putters, it doesn't matter what plastic you use what so it, I think it just matters on your personal preference. Because its just a putter. But yeah those fade puts are really hard to do, but im sure once you are able to master those they are pretty nasty and very sweet to accomplish once you do actually get that. I'm one of those guys that try to go for the straight shots, usually miss, but when I get it, it feels great. I think with my new putter I'm going to cut a good amount of strokes off of my game.

I see where your coming from with the mid-range. Although I never used them, I do see how they could come in handy. I still think you don't need a mid range at all, just a low speed driver thats very stable is basically the same thing. I use my star TL for mid range and straight shots like that.

Also, where are you from? Whats your home course?

Can't wait to be getting my new discs in the mail :)

This is what I ordered.

Super Stupid Soft Voodoo Putter
    [​IMG]
    Cannot wait to put with this!

HAD to get a Nuke, heard this thing throws like a BOMB! Can't wait to launch this as well...
    Nuke (Elite Z) Better than the ESP i think it is
    [​IMG]
    I had to get the tye-dye :)

And the disc i've wanted for so long. oh man I cant wait to get the hang of this disc and fuck shit UP with this disc! I've seen it used and it just works amazing for Tomahawks and straight throws, and I need one so badly...
    [​IMG]

I also read about a newer disc called the Discraft Ninja, I suggest someone on here look into it and buy it, its not PDGA useable, but who gives a shit none of us are going to be in the PDGA anyways haha. I heard it throws like a BOMB! I heard its very similar to the nuke though, so thats why I didnt buy that as well.

12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all for $25

13. #33 Durchii, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
    Just picked these up around ten minutes ago at Dick's. I took your advice, HeadySpaghetti, and went with just a Distance Driver and a Putter. The Mid-Range Discs felt really nice in my hand, so I am eager to try one at some point, but for now I think I have a relatively decent beginner's setup to at least get a feel for the game.

[​IMG]

If I start to really get into this then I will definitely buy some more discs, but for the price that these ran me ($25 together) on top of the fact that every course in my area is free, I'm pretty sure that this is a hobby that is very reasonable to expand with.

The Putter is an Aviar in a DX, which I've heard very good things about. The Driver is a Champion Beast, which I admittedly decided to splurge on instead of just getting the DX version, but it was also on clearance.

I really wanted the Champion Valkyrie, but they were completely sold out of them. Damn Packers got the best of me yet again...

:p

14. I think your gonna love the wraith, but dont know about the other two. I disliked DX plastics greatly, you should look into gateway putters, best putter company out there right now.
    Great prices though, in stores that woulda cost you a good 35 to 40$

So happy we got a recruit! Your going to love the game! What area are you from? But on the discs, hope you like the Beast, is pretty stable to understable so I think it'll work pretty well for you. Though I do think you shoulda started with a DX plastic, a Champion is going to fly really well once you get the hang of it, it may be difficult at first. But the Aviar is a great putter, if you get into the game, which im sure you will... look into Gateway putters, top line putters in existence currently!

15. I'm just getting as many discs as possible for a decent price at the moment. Planning on hitting up the flea market this sunday because I've seen tons of discs for sale last time I was there.

16. Never thought of that idea, thats a great idea. Im sure you can get champion, even star discs for 10 or even 5 dollars! Hopefully you pick up some good discs. Its a good decision too, buy a bunch of discs, try them and see which ones you like, for a cheap price.cant go wrong there :)

17. Heady, I'm currently in Colorado Springs and there are only four courses in my immediate area, but I travel around the state all the time so I expect it will be no problem to find some great ones in the surrounding cities.

tjviperjr, I may check out the Flea Market in my city this weekend as well because I could have sworn I saw some there. There are some great looking Discs on Ebay, but I'm not sure how much they can be trusted. That site frightens me, quite frankly.

18. I learned how to play in CO. Some of the best courses are Leadville (it's really worth making the trip to, it's amazing), Breckenridge, Westminster, the Aurora course is pretty nice for what it is and the course by Water World, can't remember the name. Oh, and if you ever go down to Pueblo, they have a great course in City Park. It's one of the oldest courses in the country, I want to say it was built in '72?

19. Ah Colorado probably has some GREAT courses! Im sure there are plenty of courses there, as well as all of the places your travel too. Just look them up at the site I posted on my first post. I do see why you as well as plenty of people are so iffy about using Ebay, but for things such as discs, there is nothing to worry about.

Wish I didn't live in NJ so I could try all these courses!

ALSO!! Just putting it out there, updated my first post with all of the information. Thought it would look cleaner and easier to follow if it was all in one post. so any new information about disc golf, techniques, stuff like that, will be posted there. As, well as an Updated date at the bottom along with what was added, so its easier to find :)

20. This one? I was literally just reading about it.

:D