Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

easiest and cheapest way to grow hydroponics

• Please log in to reply

LoSoSmokesBudd

LoSoSmokesBudd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright hello fellow growers and pot smokers. im very very new to growing in general. and im very limited on money....and i need someone the basics of doin this. i know how to build it i just need to kno how to maintain it and buy the equipment at a low cost.... please help

thanks in advice

Pastivity

Pastivity

Hydro....Ponics

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,871 posts
How limited are your funds if you don't mind me asking?
Sufficient lighting alone could run anywhere from 80$ and higher easy
I went the "budget" route because of limited funds and it ended up biting me in my @ss being that I was limited to an indoor grow because of location
A couple hundred $ later, my grow tent is more respectable and is showing promise
Could be a better idea to begin to gather the necessary equipment a little at a time until you are set

Edited by Pastivity, 20 September 2010 - 04:18 AM.

LoSoSmokesBudd

LoSoSmokesBudd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well for now i only have 100 bucks soo beside lightin that is 80 bucks and up. what about the other equipment and chemicals for the plant can grow heathy

Pastivity

Pastivity

Hydro....Ponics

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,871 posts
I use a three part series of nutrients from General Hydroponics
It came free with my hydro kit so not sure on individual pricing but you need nutrients
PH UP and PH Down have saved me plenty of pain and anguish because of PH fluctuations
People go cheap and use aspirin and lime powder, to name a few, to adjust the pH but, this could prove more of a challenge as I have read up on people all the time in the Sick plant forum if you know what I mean
I chose a passive hydro system which ran me like 70 or 80$ around there but it included pots, mediums as in hydroton and rockwool, the three part nutrients that I am still using, and air pump, was a great investment on my part
All I needed was lights and I ended purchasing a grow tent because of my location
PH tester would be in your best interest
A fan or two would be nice
Have yet to grow in soil so can't really help you too much there

GrowBot

GrowBot

Old School Stoner

• Old School
  • 3,415 posts
cheapest hydro method known to man is coco coir, lol! no rez, no pumps, you get the idea. do a search, you'll be convinced...

charon001

charon001

DR. Woe

• Registered Upgraded
  • 288 posts
You can build an Aeroponic set for about 50-60. I also went the cheap route and it too bit me in the ass. Do yourself a favor. Buy the right materials from the start.

MJGoon

MJGoon

• Registered Upgraded
  • 265 posts
If youre really strapped for cash why not just grow in potting mix? Much more forgiving and hell you can buy a 50 liter bag of potting mix for like $3. Get a couple of second hand pots from somewhere, clean em up really good with bleach and then spend the rest of yr money on lighting and nutes.

Guest_yoctown_*

Guest_yoctown_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
The easiest hydro system to take care of is a flood and drain table imo. If you are new to growing hydro i suggest you start with it rather then a more complex system that way their is less chance of failure. As far as cheap you can build one cheaply though i suggest buying it to prevent problems.

Kinetic420

Kinetic420

|P_c^n(0)|≤2

• Registered Upgraded
  • 741 posts
DWC... all the way..

5 gallon bucket and net pot lid - $8
Airstone and airline - $4
air pump - $10
nutes - $30

LoSoSmokesBudd

LoSoSmokesBudd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks all of you guys for the advice
which is faster to grow... hydro or soil..eitherway i know im going to have to wait about 4 months to smoke it up buh i want quality in my grow...
also does it have to specifically have to be a seed that is for hydro or can i manipulate the plant to grow into some kush of some sorts?

LoSoSmokesBudd

LoSoSmokesBudd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
SH Hydroponics, Inc. > DWC Basic Kit

is this a good hydroponics kit.

dissident1970

dissident1970

• Registered Upgraded
  • 211 posts
Try some of these..

Complete Systems : neHydro.com, Hydroponics and Gardening Supplies

That grow kit has no nutes included. Your gonna have to pay the extra anyway to get those.

I use the waterfarm units right now. Less than $60 each, come good to go just about, and use a drip ring (which is nice).

Edited by dissident1970, 21 September 2010 - 05:28 PM.

Raoul

Raoul

• Registered Upgraded
  • 731 posts
Build a Bubble Bucket - you will never look back :)
http://forum.grassci...-step-step.html
http://forum.grassci...le-buckets.html

dissident1970

dissident1970

• Registered Upgraded
  • 211 posts
I built my first BB. I currently have a plant flowering out of control in it (female too :D:D:D). As such I would not say that building one is a bad idea.

Its inexpensive, but not totally free, unless you have the materials on hand. What I found out was I got nickel and dimed for about $40 when all was said and done. For instance, I don't keep any fish, so I had to go out and buy the pump and hose for the airline. I could build one much cheaper now, as I have many of the materials I need from the first build.

For $60 you get something pre-made, with alot better design, and a warranty. If you cant order one, then go for the build. If you have the ability to buy pre made, save yourself the time and effort. Its not that much more money.

badfish13337

badfish13337

Grower/Connoisseur

• Registered Upgraded
  • 912 posts

DWC... all the way..

5 gallon bucket and net pot lid - $8
Airstone and airline - $4
air pump - $10
nutes - $30

This is what you should be doing. A bubble bucket is one of the easiest hydroponic systems I have worked with. I am only a few days in, but check out my grow to see what I'm using. The bucket and net pot lid cost me $6.99 (I have 3 gal buckets) Airstone was $3.99 (Industrial quality) Airline is like $0.25/ft. and I bought the starters kit by Technaflora on amazon. Here's a link to them. Amazon.com: Recipe for Success Starter Fertilizer Kit: Home & Garden $35.00. EDIT: You also need an aquarium air pump. You can get these anywhere (Wally World) for under $15.

Posted Image
You could get away with a DIY lighting kit like this one - http://forum.grassci...hting-unit.html

Posted Image

Also, you will need a pH measurement system, General Hydroponics sells one for about $12.00.

Posted Image

Edited by badfish13337, 21 September 2010 - 07:28 PM.

The chosen nug

The chosen nug

• Registered Upgraded
  • 600 posts

thanks all of you guys for the advice
which is faster to grow... hydro or soil..eitherway i know im going to have to wait about 4 months to smoke it up buh i want quality in my grow...
also does it have to specifically have to be a seed that is for hydro or can i manipulate the plant to grow into some kush of some sorts?

Kush is just a strain. Any type of seed can be grown hydro. If you have bag seed itll be bag seed but really good :smoke: I love my Pro Mix setup. I get a giant brick of it for 40. Similar to CoCo.

dasruckus

dasruckus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 122 posts

You could get away with a DIY lighting kit like this one - http://forum.grassci...hting-unit.html

Posted Image

Also, you will need a pH measurement system, General Hydroponics sells one for about $12.00.

That light setup looks to be the biggest waste of money/time/everything.

GrowBot

GrowBot

Old School Stoner

• Old School
  • 3,415 posts

alright hello fellow growers and pot smokers. im very very new to growing in general. and im very limited on money....and i need someone the basics of doin this. i know how to build it i just need to kno how to maintain it and buy the equipment at a low cost.... please help thanks in advice

dude, do a search, and you'll see coco is the way to go. there's no pumps, reservoirs, trays, tables, timers or any of the regular equipment needed to grow hydro. it's exactly like growing in soil, but the ph and feeding schedule is hydro. as a matter of fact, imo, coco is superior to all other mediums. if you're funds are limited, coco is 4 u!!!

LoSoSmokesBudd

LoSoSmokesBudd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright guys i have decided which one system too get....and i recently just sold ma pistol soo im bouts to get the coco coir and build me a BB....see which one grows faster...and wuh would i have to do to make my own kind of strain like the dude off of weeds that show on showtime?

housefullOweed

housefullOweed

Ideas are bullet proof

• Registered Upgraded
  • 998 posts
You really need to Research some shit before you start buying shit man or you will regret it, take a few weeks to read up and figure out what you are doing figure out your budget and what you need to buy then go from there... Here is a shopping list of most of the things you will need to purchase and as far as hydro goes i wouldn't even bother with out good HID lighting. http://forum.grassci...nformation.html

Edited by housefullOweed, 24 September 2010 - 05:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users