Wheat Germ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DokiDoki, Sep 12, 2010.

1. I'm looking for an organic source of cysteine. Cysteine and sulfur is the base for creating skunky smelling thiols. I am already adding a natural sulfur ingredient, but would like to find natural cysteine. The only fertilizer I can find it in is Bud Candy and Hydroplex, both of which are not organic.

In reading about cysteine, I found that wheat germ has high doses of it. Which makes me wonder... can I use it in my soil mixture or as a fertilizer additive? Or does anyone know a better source for cysteine?

2. Ahem.............

Did this information come from FatBoy Mike at Advanced Nutrients by any chance? I'm literally stunned that anyone could/would state that a protein found in pork sausage (as well as wheat, yogurt, and a slew of other sources including Oscar Meyer Bologna) would promote olfactory qualities in a plant's flowers.

An interesting concept to be sure. I'm sorry I missed the party when Mike and his crew came up with this one. Must have been some serious partying going on - obviously.

Organic cysteine is in every health food store but you need the name used in that industry, i.e. L-Cysteine (a non-essential amino acid).

Have fun!

LD

3. #3 DokiDoki, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
    No, this is a hair-brained idea I had from doing research on thiols and thiol production in plants. I am looking to boost the thiol production to make extra stinky herbs. :)

From Wikipedia "Thiols" entry (Thiol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

From Wikipedia "Sulfur Assimilation" entry (Sulfur assimilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    "Molecular Basis of Cysteine Biosynthesis in Plants" by Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (http://www.jbc.org/content/280/46/38803.short)

4. I have also heard that human hair is primarily made out of cysteine. I'm thinking that may be a good source, but looks like it needs hydrolysis to break it free into a usable form.

5. bump. any more word on wheat germ?