Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ingesting Rick Simpson's "Hemp Oil"

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by clinton, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Hello,

I have a few questions about RSO, about 2 years ago my mother-in-law was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma and underwent chemotherapy.  The cancer went into remission then however about six months ago it returned. This time the chemotherapy and even stem cell treatment were unsuccessful and she developed severe colitis (intestinal ulcerations).  Since then she has remained bed bound in hospital until about two months ago when they released her to go home to pass away.

Since then she has slightly recovered from the colitis, however she is still unable to get out of bed.  She was on morphine until a few weeks ago and now takes it orally when she develops severe pain.  She still requires 24 hour care and my wife has moved interstate to care for her.

We researched the RSO treatment and a friend managed to locate some hemp (we live in Australia, so it is predominantly illegal to possess any significant amounts) from this the RSO was made as per the website directions, the solvent used was Naptha.  The problem is that I am unsure if the method worked correctly, the oil is quite black and my mother-in-law says that it tastes like petrol.  The only medication she is currently on is a drug called keppra, used to treat seizures.  The cancer was in her brain and as a symptom she did develop shaking in her arm quite regularly.

After a few days of low dosages of RSO, she developed started to develop what seem like seizures again (which had not been present for the last couple of months) this disturbed her quite a lot so she stopped taking the RSO for a couple of days and the seizures stopped.  After a few day break she tried the RSO again and again the shakes started.  We have not stopped the Keppra drug, however I was wondering if there has been any experience with the RSO and other drugs interacting with each other.

Additionally, would using alcohol as an alternative solvent be any safer?  In Australia it is not possible to get Everclear however some 95% alcohol is available.  Would soaking the hemp for longer than stated cause the oil to have a black colour or possibly burning the oil? I don't believe this happened however would really like to be sure there is nothing in the RSO that shouldn't be.

I have contacted the Phoenix tears website however not received any response as yet and we really believe that this is the only way the my mother-in-law will survive long enough to see her first grandchild.

Thanks in advance

Kane

2. Kalon, i can offer a few answers or possibilities for you.the oil is supposed to be dark and nasty tasting when done, i have made many batches and they all, forgive my wording, taste like shit. i also use Naptha and yes even properly made you can taste and smell a little petro in it, i suppose it's a very trace amount left in it, but nothing to be concerned with as a health issue mind you.i use 00 sized empty gel caps to put it into, thus no one has to taste anything, works well so maybe give it a try and it's much easier dosing with a gel cap for meds, just what most are already used to i suppose. as for the shakes i'm uncertain, it could be the reaction between the morphine and the RSO since RSO helps deter opioid dependency but again i have nothing for certain to offer. only suggestion i could make is see if she can slowly ease herself off the opioid's and onto the oil and see if that helps? seems worth a try without causing issue with her other meds since opioid's are not required for her health, but i do understand the pain so take it slow.

3. forgive my large paragraphs since i still cannot post properly with the new software, it give me no options for editing, nor paragraphs, nor quoting.

4. I am stuck using my phone right now and I don't have the patience to type out everything I would like to say. it would be a lot. Search My Experience With Rick Simpson Oil (by me GrowGoddess). I have a couple of blogs at different sites that may have all the information you need and potentially better methods of making the oil.
    I have been taking a time out from the Internet lately that is why I came here to this site. Needed some new scenery.
    Phoenix Tears and Rick. I speak with them both. I don't agree with everything, like using Napatha for a lot of reasons. I prefer 99% isopropyl alcohol or 190 Everclear. All of the oil i have made so far has been with 99% isopropyl alcohol. The reasons why I do not use napatha are very complicated and prefer not to discuss it. Just one example is decarbing the THC, big differences between solvents. Yes, Napatha extracts more THCa, but it does not decarb it as efficiently. The biggest reason why I don't care to use Napatha is that some brnds are mixed with additional chemicals which are poisonous and cannot be purged out.
    If you want to contact Phoenix Tears, go directly to the boss. Seek out Janet Sweeney on Facebook, or Rick Simpson, or even Jindrech Bayer (Rick's partner). I had to create a Facebook account as GrowGoddess Michigan. I would leave links, but I am not completely familiar with the rules here yet. Still need to read up on them. Otherwise, I would have provided links.
    Keep in mind, any information you find is pretty much opinions, even factual studies and tests. One example on it being opinions is I could send in samples of fresh RSO to be tested for THC content. That does not carry any value. They forget to mention that in the studies, all of the facts. So many of the studies are worthless. Back to the example, that same batch of oil, a ample sent in 30 - 60 days later from the first sample can read higher in THC. Up to 70%. Decarbing does not only require heat. It also remquires time, patience, and wisdom.
    I hope this helps

5. #625 BadKittySmiles, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013

I would avoid using Naphtha to make medicine, personally. I've discussed this a few times in this thread (and a few other RSO threads); even if the Naphtha itself can be purged, the toxic contaminants and impurities sometimes found in such fuel products often can not. It's not exactly meant for consumption, so contamination regulation is limited, at best, particularly with the more affordable varieties.
     I use only food grade solvents and ingredients for my own oils and concentrates, for mine and my patients peace of mind. If you are smelling odors associated with naphtha, then it's still in there, and the oil requires more purging! It's not listed in every document discussing naphtha exposure symptoms or side-effects, but several studies do indicate seizures as a possible result of exposure, and someone with a predisposition may be particularly vulnerable. This is why I choose known food grade solvents....on the off-chance some is left behind, it's completely safe for consumption! :yay:

This could be the reason for the adverse side effects you are experiencing, also be certain you work her up very gradually to higher doses.

If you have any of your last batch left, I'd suggest adding additional water to the blend at least once more, so you may continue heating, to allow further solvent contamination to evaporate.

Here is a past post I made on the topic that should be useful, some info is for making pharmaceutical grade oil of a higher quality, and there is also a section on pre-cleansing the cannabis to reduce potential contaminants (some of which could also be responsible for her side-effects), which you may find useful... I feel it's important to share such info, because I realize not everyone has access to the cleanest and safest medicine/flowers, but when time is short and a life is on the line, you may need to use and make the best of whatever it is you do have access to in the short term:

:)

6. So would this oil be like some of the stuff I find in the dispenseries? I live in ca and have a card and would like to get some for my brother who is dying of cancer. It can't risk trying to make it at home due to the fact I have kids bit will if I have to

7. Does anyone here know how much oil you get per gram?

8. #628 travmont, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013

Yes, same question I'd like to ask. I am in Rome, and I would like to buy this, but first of all I cannot find it anywhere, and second of all, even if I went to Amsterdam, where it is legal, I don't know where to get it.

I was told it is about 25 euros per gram, if shipped via regular mail from Amsterdam, but I don't know what happens if I get caught, in terms of going to jail. And also I still haven't been given the address to order it from.

9. Most dispensaries don't have it, but you can find it at the real compassion clubs (there's maybe 1 in OC, a couple in LA).  It's usually expensive as well, 60-80/g, but it's worth it from a legitimate source.  Just look around on WM at the top medical places and you'll find it.  Or find a grower, that's what I've been trying to do, you'll have the most luck getting it directly from someone.

10. I just found a club that carries this in Los Angeles, and I've had a few dabs, it is incredible.

11. #631 OneE, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    Hello to all in the RSO thread!  I've been hanging out on the BHO threads here, but I've been asked to make some RSO for someone who is very dear to me.  I've searched and found many guides to make rso, but I'm surprised at the variety/non-specific nature of all the different methods ... different solvents, temps --- the bho info seems to be rather clear comparatively.  If anyone can direct me to some links with specific temp requirements, I'd really appreciate it!

I'll ask a few questions since I see quite a few knowledgeable people contributing to this thread ----

1) I see various solvents listed for making RSO - naptha, ISO, ethanol...   does anyone have any knowledge of whether the extraction profile for the different solvents is really all that different?  And, how different is it from a butane extraction profile?
    I plan on using laboratory grade absolute ethanol since the person whom I'm making it for can source it and that is the solvent choice he has made.

2) Compared to BHO processing, RSO is a higher temperature process --- ~100f for bho vs ~175-200f for rso --- so I'm assuming that the RSO is partially decarbed and activated (presumably no where near completely decarbed).  Is decarbing and activation needed for the beneficial medical effects of RSO?   Merging bho and rso processing techniques, I believe I could purge the rso at temperatures below 130f --- would that allow larger doses without an extreme high?

3) From what I've learned from making BHO, I know that an oil consistency can be attained by post processing an erl or shatter at temps of >170f.  Would a BHO oil heavily decarbed essentially become a RSO?

Thanks for any input and experience.

12. Because i have no access to medical marijuana and live with roommates. I had to make this oil in short window of time at my mom's place using really potent street weed and 91% iso alcohol. I know this isn't good but i would think it would be close enough to what you would get following rso.

Anyways I tried some last night - about 2 rice grains but what was coming out of the syringe wasn't solid but watery. I think theres more solid stuff inside so I'm worried I might have only gotten some solvent runoff as I barely got a high sensation. It was very strong though and made my mouth tingle and my throat burn slightly. I am wondering if anyone else whose tried this stuff has been super high the first time doing it. I smoke regularly at night but not an extreme stoner so I dont think i have a super high tolerance.

Should not be runny at body temperature or below.  Not usually flow-able below 120 Deg. F.  You may need to cook it longer.  Can you smell ISO in it?

14. I tried it again and discovered that I was consuming the watery run off of the oil as most of it has hardened inside the syringe. I had to push really hard to get some out but then learned if I heat it a little with a lighter it comes out just fine. I did finally get high from it but it was more of body high than a euphoric high that you get from regular smoking. I'm not sure I enjoy it as much as smoking but I will try keep trying it out to see what dosage is right.

So what are you trying to treat again?  It is not always necessary to get high to get medical benefit though many enjoy that aspect of the medicine.  The hash oil is smoke able and Vape able if that is an option for you and you want that aspect.

16. No my concern was if I messed up somehow in making it because I'm not feeling its potency as others describe. But I see now others dont always get super high I guess. Unfortunately the high I get is not helping me sleep as much as smoking and thats what the original intent of me creating the oil was for amogst other things. 

17. #637 berylncha00, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    nice  job...[​IMG]

Ok.  What is the nature of your sleep disorder do you have a diagnosis?  Is it pain related?

You know you can smoke or vape the oil we covered that .  Have you considered the Idea that cutting the pure oil might make it easier to dose and could cause the does to absorb better?  If your experimenting  using little bits to try it this way or that can work some of us like Salad Oil (coconut oil) others like Ethanol.  How much do you have to play with.

19. #639 gnarkill283, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    I found out I had to do a lot of the oil to get high. I'm going to do another batch possibly; but after running across a study, I'm at a lost as to what solvent and method to use. http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf - according to this, rick simpsons way captures a lot more thc but less terpenes than alcohol and natural oils. I'm also a little weary of using naphtha after reading this study.

Can anyone with experience with this tell me why rick simpsons method is better than say a coconut oil method? According to this study using high fat oil as a solvent produces the best results in extracting all the various forms of stuff thats in MJ.

20. Hello,

I'm new to all of this. I've been on chemo for a tumor the doctors can't diagnose for about 2-3 years now. They just started me on radiation two weeks ago to see how I respond. I desperately would like to try the RSO method but frankly am feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated. The dispensary I would use to get topicals from to help with pain said they were "working on it". But it's been months and when I call for updates it just seems unlikely they'll get it. They have great customer service and products, from what I can tell (I am very very new to cannabis). But I'm getting this feeling of an all elusive hash oil. I don't want to freak out, but I'm concerned for my health.

I live in Los Angeles but I have NO idea where to start. Do I go on WM and call every dispensary in my area and ask? I see people can make it, but I don't think I have the resources and it sounds complicated. My mobility is not the best plus I don't have a full kitchen (for instance, no access to an oven - if that even matters).

I feel like I have no one to go to. I'm trying to stay positive.

If there's anyone that can point me in the right direction I would be extremely thankful!!!!!

And sorry if this question has been asked before...