1000W SOG Roots Organics Soil and Nutes -

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Sgt.Stedenko, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sub'd!! Cant wait to see the buds!!!

2. Day 5 of flower and its pistils galore. Got some family in town for the weekend so may be a few days before I can update. Things are lookin very very good...

:smoke:

3. Those are looking nice :)

4. Temp finally cooled down a bit so the room is locked in again at 75 deg and 45% r/h. Heres some pics from tonight.

Attached Files:

5. Damn Sarge.......those plants are coming right along bro. Nice looking pics of your well cared for girls.

Cheers,

chunk

6. Thanks Chunk, much appreciated. 15 days into flower and things are looking very very good. I ll post more pics later if I get a chance. Planning a new room so I ll have a new questions thread up shortly.

Late

7. #27 Sgt.Stedenko, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    Greetings,

Flowers are coming in everywhere, very stoked. We had another mini heatwave the last 2 days so the room got up to 88 for roughly a 5 hour period both days, but I'm not that concerned as 5 hours aint that big of a deal. Humidity is completely under control which was much more of a concern to me than the temperature issue. The LSD's did a decent amount of stretching over the 15 days, but nothing too significant. I moved them to the outside of the canopy as you can see in the pics. Pic #2 is of the runt of the litter. It's one of the LSD's which looks to have Cal/Mag deficiency. I've been giving them the light feeding recommendations and upped it to heavy feeding, since doing so its looking better and better. I really just wanted to show all the ladybugs that flcoked to the sickly plant, weird.

Can wait to see what I can pull ouf of this little room late November...Other good news: My roommate is moving out Dec 1st, so I have another 10'x10'x8' bedroom I will be dumpin $5K or so into for a completely sealed grow with CO2 and a 1.5 ton split AC unit. I have several questions regarding my room design, but for the most part I know what I want to do and how to make it happen

Attached Files:

8. OOOOOOWEEEE!
    look at those ladybugs go! looking great

9. #29 Glodenglow1, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    I'm liking your grow Sgt. Bet that 8" fan will suck the pants right off those ladies! I have one running my 13'x12' room, and that thing is surprisingly powerful.

How much do you expect those plants to grow upwards within the first few weeks? Looks like they are all cola's, any LST on this?

Do you use the bamboo sticks as they grow big a heavy in late flower?

Definitely nice and green, healthy looking ladies.

Sub'd and looking forward to seeing this one grow out.

10. What's up Glodenglow thanks for the props. Yeah the 8" fan is a bit overkill but with a decent size carbon filter on it it knocks the CFMs down a bit, but yes, its definitely over kill. The fans cycle on every 8 minutes and the negative pressure kicks in fairly heavy, but hasnt created any concerns.

They were 12" - 14" when I flipped the cycle 16 days ago and they have stretched about 8 inches since. I expect them to grow another 8 - 10 inches before they settle down, but this is my first run with these strains. The LSDs are definitely leggier than the LA Cons, not surprising tho.

I put some 1/4" dowels in when I transplanted the clones (you can see them better in the first pics I posted), but they may be a bit short for the end of the cycle. I ll put it longer supports if need be.

Day 16 and the center of the canopy has nearly caught up to the LSDs I p ut along the outside of the tray. Lots of thick healthy top stems, flowers everyyyywhere and startin to get stiiiiinky in there. Better get at least an elbow off these fuckers.

I'm planning a new 10x10x8' room hoping to be up and running by mid december, well it HAS to be up and running by then. I'm going to run Soma style beds rather than pots, or maybe a modified version of his rig. I'm most likely going to run 3 - 1000W HPS over an 8'x4' bed and a 4'x4' bed. I ll be veggin under T5 for 4 weeks from cutting and only veg for 7 -10 days in the beds once tranplanted. Once I start the thread I'll post the link.

till next time ...

Dave's not here man...

11. GlodenGlow...forgot to mention that I didn't use any LST this time around, but I did "super crop" 4 or 5 of them. They developed big ol' knuckles and the side growth went crazy.

12. Sounds good on the supercropping, I inadvertently used that technique on my screen this time too. I've got a couple of cola's that are coming out of the side of my SCROG panel, and there isnt room to get them back under the screen. I ended up supercropping those cola's, and it seems to have worked nice, though it didn't slow much growth down.

That is a great looking grow you've got, the bird is definitely in the bush on that one!

FWIW,

I just redid my 12'x6' room into a 12x13' room with 2 SCROG platforms (8'x4') Anyway, we seemed to have similar sized grow areas and figured I'd throw that out there. It was a lot of fun building the new room, and I think it totally kicks ass, now I just got to get some salad producing in there!

Anyway, good luck with your rebuild

13. Nice looking grow Sahge! They all look healthy and happy! Nice job man!

14. Quick question all,

for my new setup I ll be running a completley sealed room with split AC, dehumidifier, air cooled hoods, with 4 - 1000w HPS.

I want to get a good environmental controller such as Sentinel CHHC-4 Total Environmental Controller. But, my $1500 AC has its own thermostat so I dont need to plug that into it. I have a dehumdifier that has its own on/off auto function, so that doesnt need to get plugged into the controller either. I dont have any fans exhausting air or any intake (besides the closed loop in the lights) so do I need a big badass controller like this? I have used CO2 in the past, using a GreenAir controller, which worked ok, but seemed a bit janky.

all I need it to do is Monitor and Control my CO2 ppm's, so would this be a waste?

Sgt.

15. #35 Sgt.Stedenko, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
    So just for shits and giggles I had my brother seal me up in my room with the lights out to check for any light leaks. After 3 fucking grows I noticed that the LEDs on my AC after being taped over, were reflecting back into the AC and making the interior glow like a son of a bitch. Have no idea what made me decide to check again, but holy shitballs im glad I did. It was indirect ambient LED light so i dont think there were any detrimental effects, but the unit is dark as hell after some major jimmying. I had to take the housing off the top of the unit, remove the circuit board and wrapped it lightly in Panda Wrap and duct taped the hell out of it. The light issue is solved and with the top off the AC, there is wayyyyyy more air being pushed out of that bad boy now. Cant wait for this new room to be up and running, I want to scrap this attic box ASAP (I am pretty stoked on this grow tho in general, I just hate the space Im in).

Pics, yummmmmmy....:smoke:

Attached Files:

16. Are you going to have to use the AC even in the winter? That sucks....

One nice thing about the controller I use is that it allows for you to select for different day and nighttime temperatures. Not sure if that is significant enough to warrant purchasing a controller though.

I've heard cooler night time temp's help with making denser buds, but I can't confirm that.

Is your AC unit going to be close enough to the grow area to get reliable temp readings? I suppose you could set it low so that It maintained the temp you want in your grow area.

Good job catching the light leak, it is amazing how weird things like that develop over time.

17. I've been noodling on this Sahge. If I'm reading you right I say "no" you don't need an expensive controller. Now the caveat here is I've never done a true CO2 enrichment with a sealed room so I may be off base but based on my current understanding of the methods and technology and, with what you've described all you really need is a CO2 sensor to regulate the valve on the tank, and arguably, just a CO2 regulator that you can dial into with ppm. I have one of the latter which is one of those $150 solenoid type CO2 regulators. Here is my reasoning.

Your AC is self regulating for temp so you don't need to worry about that. I'm assuming you have a portable unit on wheels or something similar?

Your AC is a dehumidifier so you can pitch that extra piece of equipment. Catch whatever water is condensate off and use that for your plant watering needs. It's muy bueno for that.

If you are supplying the CO2 you don't need any fresh "air" in so you're good on that thought process. But, I suggest you rethink your exhaust plans. Just for good measure you do want a way to exchange the volume of "air" that's in your grow space. That can be accomplished with a timer or other McGyver type means.

You definitely want to keep the "air" circulated so keep your small fans running 24/7. Don't need a timer for that or if you prefer one of the mechancial timers can cycle it on/off.

So, my take is "no" on the expensive controller. Spend the money on soil ammendments and other "things" that will enhance your harvest potential.

Good at 'cha!

18. Look into a fuzzy logic controller, or a CAP-PPM 3. Are you using a tank, or gen? I've heard that the Fuzzy Logic can make the generators more efficient, because of how they cycle on and off. Either way, you should save at least $300 bucks.

19. Hey guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to offer some insight, I really appreciate it.
    Possum:
    Your AC is self regulating for temp so you don't need to worry about that. I'm assuming you have a portable unit on wheels or something similar?
    I currently have a portable AC, but I am investing in a heavy duty split AC untit, where the compressor lives outside and a wall mounted unit goes in the room. I will have to use AC in the winter yes, as my room will be sealed, no air in or out. I will be scrubing the inside air with an 8" inline fan and can filter. Its not connected to any outside ducting, it simply scrubs the internal air for smell.
    I am using the split AC in my attic and currently the dehumidifier is key in keepin the humidity at 45%, otherwise it gets up to 65% without it. I did some reading on using the runoff from AC condensers and dehumidifiers and I dont think I ll be reusing that water for my plants, expcept for the flowers in the front yard. Apparently the condensers on both unit can contain lead and other nasty stuff and apparently its not recommended for edible plants. I aint eatin my herb but I am smokin it, so I think I ll just dump the waste water in the flower beds from now on.
    I will definitely be running 4 oscillating fans at all time in the room, day and night. Shit, and I sold my CO2 rig a year ago not thinking I would need it, tis life, tis life.

Sam -
    I'm shopping around right now, but Im leaning towards bottled since I ll have a bout 600 cu/ft of space. A bottled setup should do just fine, since the generators create heat and moisture, but they do have the advantage of a propane tank that is cheap as chips and stealth.
    I have looked at that controller in the past, probably the one I ll go with.
    Again, Grasscity folks, I really really really appreciate all the advice and the props. Can't wait to show you all some nug shots.
    Until we meet again...

"Hey thats false advertising maaaaaaaaaaaan"
    Sgt.

20. Can you tap into some cool winter time air to run through your light and help cool the room?

Or is it not cool enough there?

I agreee with P38N, you should change the air out in your room every now and again