Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Venting into A/C VENTS ok? *Grow Tent*

• Please log in to reply

sixletterscurvy

sixletterscurvy

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have not seen this question posted anywhere yet. I have only seen posts related to rooms with 1 a/c vent blowing in. I know its BEST to vent outside.

But.

If there are TWO vents in a closed room, central a/c air, one sucks air out and one blows air in...

Would venting a grow tent into the vent that sucks air be a bad decision?

The exhaust would be cleaned with carbon scrubber first. I know the a/c unit turns off periodically, but the fan is like 500cfms so could it still blow air down the vent? They are located in the floor so the tent would exhaust out the top and blow down into the suck vent. Would it then be necessary run the blow vent into the tent for fresh air? (or have a small fan blow it in from the room?)

Thanks for your help. I can't find an answer anywhere!

Tihspeed

Tihspeed

master bator

• Gold Member
  • 9,242 posts

fakename19

fakename19

• Registered Upgraded
  • 146 posts

I have not seen this question posted anywhere yet. I have only seen posts related to rooms with 1 a/c vent blowing in. I know its BEST to vent outside.

But.

If there are TWO vents in a closed room, central a/c air, one sucks air out and one blows air in...

Would venting a grow tent into the vent that sucks air be a bad decision?

The exhaust would be cleaned with carbon scrubber first. I know the a/c unit turns off periodically, but the fan is like 500cfms so could it still blow air down the vent? They are located in the floor so the tent would exhaust out the top and blow down into the suck vent. Would it then be necessary run the blow vent into the tent for fresh air? (or have a small fan blow it in from the room?)

Thanks for your help. I can't find an answer anywhere!

Kinda like he said above, it would create neg pressure in the actual room the tent is in, affecting the climate/temp of the ambient area your tent is in... unless you were bringing same amount of air in...
if u do try it, make sure to put a backdraft damper after your fan, just in case

Edited by fakename19, 04 September 2010 - 05:15 AM.

sixletterscurvy

sixletterscurvy

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its a 4x4x6 tent. Not setup yet. 400watt hps/mh air cooled hood, 400somethingcfm rated carbon scrubber, and a 500something cfm centrifigul fan. Those parts all have 6'' flanges.

The room has the two vents (suck and blow) just like a normal room, but if the vent covers are taken off they have a 6'' duct, perfect fit. Exahusting to the "suck" vent would take the air BACK into circulation, but then that circulation is slowly chimney'd out. So some would circulate but would be introduced to new air. Thats ok?

The alternative to all of this is a 4'' dryer duct that would be perfect because it goes right outside, but its only 4" inches. Would exhausting 6" into a 4" vent cause some bad back pressure? However the room with this duct is not a/c controlled :( (and winter is nie)

twistedwords

twistedwords

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You could in theory take the exhaust from the tent through ducting and remove the back of the window based AC unit and take the exhaust ducting and hook it straight into the AC unit. Then on most window based AC units there is a lever or switch that selects fresh air, closed air or re-circulate air. Choose re-circulate air and then you would have a closed system. I would only do this with the vented lights and still draw fresh air into the tent on the bottom, but you would have to figure out a way to still release the fresh air coming into the room at the top of the tent somehow as the plants need a fresh supply of air. In the end you would have AC blowing into the lights keeping them real cool and then fresh sir coming in and you should have as close to an ideal setup. Thre only drawback is if the AC blows out and then you are stuck with a mess.

randomseed

randomseed

• Registered Upgraded
  • 454 posts
ive got a simmilar open question regarding venting light heat into a furnace cold air return (about the same as your doing but I dont need the intake part).

bad idea?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users