Stopping marijuana, and cannot sleep!!

Discussion in 'General' started by tjf420, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Hey guys,, havent posted in a while on here but thought i'd add search for some insight to my sleep problems of late.. I've stopped smoking last 2-3 weeks or so with none whatsoever.. i was a pretty dam Heavy smoker for the most port, multiple times a day and at night to the point wher i was jus jus sleepy and kinda stoned.. im trying to stop completely cuz i want to move on in life and join the military -Air Force pretty much ASAP... i've been suffering some crazy insomnia the last few nights and many nights before... I'm almost positive that smoking so much turned me to a burnout and doesnt allow me to sleep now.. and i cant fall asleep until prety much after 5am after laying in bed for hours...

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the same problem before when trying to stop smoking altogether and if theres anything i culd try... i feel like im goin nuts during the day and very anxious and pretty depressed sometime.. i went to my doctor and was prescribed Mirtazipine which is an anti-depressent but also used for sleep sometimes. but it hasnt worked really at all and made me very restless while lying in bed and made me had to toss and turn alot and get jittery.. not exaclty sure..

Has anyone here stopped smoking for a while and also experience this?? i feel like to anyone saying weed isn't addicted.. that it probably in face is.... im jus lookin for some help!! anything would be great... i just wanna be able to sleep at a normal time at night but my body wont let me! thanx guys

2. i feel ya man. this is my 5th day of not blazing from pretty much blazing everyday this summer and just last night i could not fall asleep, i was in bed awake for 12 hours and it looks like its going to be the same fucking shit this night too. ive also been getting headaches, irritability and a sore ass lower back. i would aprreciate as well as OP any words of advice from someone on here.

3. I know how you feel, it's been day 9 for me and over the past week, I've been going to
    bed at 6:00 A.M., which is when I wake up usually.

4. I definitely have had this same problem and I think most people who get use to smoking before bed experience the same thing. I personally have always had insomnia and weed is the only thing that I have tried that helps without a prescription. Not much advice I can give expect for hanging in there if you really dont want to toke anymore. Maybe try pulling a all nighter and not sleeping the whole day. By later in the day you should be tired enough to sleep and maybe your system will get use to it if you force yourself back into some kind of sleeping cycle. Good luck man laying awake at night for hours is one of the worst feelings imo

5. i quit smoking weed and ive been going through xanax withdrawls, i cant sleep for shit. my advice is to take melatonin, it will help you fall asleep and get better REM sleep.

6. still awake here.. i have a question, i have never ever had a problem with falling asleep until these last two days which have been the 4th and 5th days of my "t-break". anyways my question is, has my long term smoking caused me to get insomnia or am i just having withdrawal effects from thhe t break. also, will this ever go away? i know i cant live with sleeping like this...:(

7. #7 Samonthy44, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
    welllll i have jack shit to do so i thought id do a little research on marijuana and sleeping disorders.

The combination of THC ingestion, stress, and REM deprivation has been shown to result in increased aggression in rats (Carlini, Lindsey, & Tufik, 1971; Carlini, 1977). In addition to adversely effecting SWS and REM cycles, withdrawal from THC use also appears to contribute to sleep problems. The 8 subjects in a study summarized in the preceding section experienced reduced sleep latency and changes in mood the day after THC ingestion (Nicholson, Turner, Stone, & Robson, 2004). Two subjects in the study conducted by Freemon (1982), summarized in the preceding section, experienced difficulty falling and staying asleep for the first 2 nights following a switch from THC ingestion to placebo ingestion. This 2 –day effect was also noted in the rats used by Colasanti, Lindamood, & Craig (1982) in the study noted in the previous section. Difficulty falling and staying asleep and restlessness was noted in 3 studies a few days after abstinence for both people who smoked marijuana and orally ingested THC (Budney, Moore, Vandrey, & Hughes, 2003; Haney et al., 1998a; Haney et al., 1998b). In addition to being commonly cited as a symptom of cannabis withdrawal, sleep disturbance and insomnia are often listed as an effect of long-term cannabis use (e.g. Beers, 2003; FADAA, 2001; Falkowski, 2000; Gold, 1989; Inaba & Cohen, 2003).

Discussion
    The bulk of research in this area has demonstrated that THC has a negative impact on sleep quality both during use and during withdrawal, although much of it is outdated (1970s and 1980s) and more recent research is needed. Adolescence and early adulthood are regarded as periods of intense change. For some, these changes include transition to college, establishing a career, and independent living (Santrock, 1999). Young adults, especially students, often do not get adequate sleep. College students who report less sleep tend to not be as satisfied with life (Kelly, 2004). Stress, a lack of sleep, and substance abuse can lead to other problems for college students, including depression (Voelker, 2004). Given THC’s adverse impact on sleep quality, it can be concluded that avoidance of THC use would be an advantage for young adults.

now, most of this stuff is true and will happen but only if you yourself are addicted, yes you can be addicted to weed, although there are no chemical properties making it addicting you can still become mentally dependent on it, just like caffeine or sugar.

8. One of the reasons I smoke is to help me sleep as I've always had big problems with insomnia. It's inevitable that when I stop smoking for a short while, I have problems sleeping. I've found the following helps:

Do something very physical and tiring during the day
    Meditate(!)
    Have a ritual to prepare you for bed; supper, hot bath, in bed with a dvd / book.

Doesn't work wonders straight away, but it helps. This is another suggestion which is quite girly but worth thinking about: try making your bedroom a very serene place. Relaxing colours, soft lighting, and clean linen and a comfy bed.

It all helps. Good luck.

9. [quote name='

now, most of this stuff is true and will happen but only if you yourself are addicted, yes you can be addicted to weed, although there are no chemical properties making it addicting you can still become mentally dependent on it, just like caffeine or sugar.[/QUOTE']

I truly believe this in my case. Whoever says weed isn't addicting is a fool. It most certainly is and i'm experiencing it first hand now and still am. As i recall being extremely anxious in the past about whether or not I'd have myself another bag soon, or would be running out of pot and needed more. I know it will get better with time as well as anxiety issues with growing up as i'm only 21 and i fucked up ROYALLY at college and took General studies courses on dumb subjects i didn't care about. Being anxious about my future has also gotten to me. I hope to join the military soon as i believe it is the best thing out there for me now

10. I had too quit for a couple of years, and had major trouble sleeping. Tylenol PM really helped my situation, might help yours too. Good luck

11. [​IMG]

<- also recommends melatonin.

12. Took me about 2 days to finally be able to sleep when I stopped.

13. Welcome to the world of (supposedly non-existent) marijuana withdrawal. Including difficulty sleeping, decreased appetite, irritability, anxiety and depression.

14. haha tell me about it... When i do find however every night since i've had some fuckedd up dreams...not good or bad dreams or scary however.. just dreaming alottt ever since i stopped.. kinda odd but whatever i know ive been sleepin if im dreaming haha

15. He's just saying: Your brain has become used to having THC in your system, Now that you cut the THC off, Your brain will just have to re-adjust things.

Took me 2-3 days, Suggestion: Fap alot.

16. I'm also an undiagnosed insomniac. Or I suppose I was. I haven't stopped blazing, so I sleep fine these days.

The most helpful thing I have found is to get some exercise in. Go for a run a few hours before you sleep. This REALLY helps. It's so much easier to sleep after you've had exercise that day.
    Also a nice hot drink, and a book in bed, I suppose, always helps me. TV before bed apparently makes it hard to sleep, so if that's your habit, that could be contributing to it.

Hope you start seeing some improvement guys

17. I've always had my tv on for yearsss when going to sleep, that probably won't ever stop :p but definite exercise and myself playin bball helps alot. I've read other places people have lots of dreams and i've had several dreams each night since not smoking whatever, very strange dreams and upon waking say to myslef, woah thank god that wasn't real hahaha