Spider mites during flowering....HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by CA MMJ, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Alright blades,

I need me some help! I am about one month into flowering with a beautiful outdoor plant, and i just got a infestation of spidermites. Little bastards started webbing up one of my precious bud sites. I need a quick, easy, and simple solution for this. Any homemade recipes using household items would be nice.

I REALLY need the help, I don't wanna lose her this far down the road!

2. OK man - Lets get those fuckerz.

First - Have u positively identified the culprit as SMs, magnifying aid - all that stuff ???
    Have u actually seen them, not just the webbing, as other insects can mimic their webs.

Freak
    :smoke:

3. I actually have not taken a magnifying aid to the leaves yet. I will see if I can find one. If not, ill try and do the best i can to eye them out. Ill be right back with an answer

4. i normally get way more caterpillars than spider mites during flowering... and they leave little silk webbings where they've been... are the budsites turning brown where the webbing is? if so, look for caterpillars... they can be some real bastards and hide in buds... i've pulled some fatties off mine that took out whole colas...

spider mites will look like little black dots on the undersides of the leaves... and their webbing isn't as obvious... they rarely eat the buds, they just make little holes in the leaves...

if it IS spider mites, spray with 50/50 alcohol/water mix, or neem oil... the alcohol at this point is your better option because it doesn't smell awful and it evaporates really quickly... spray in the morning, before noon it will be gone...

if it's caterpillars you just have to check really closely, find the culprit, and pull them off 1 by 1...

5. Alright, I just checked the leaves. I am veryyyyyyy confused now. I do not think I have spidermites. But I am not sure. Are they visible by the naked eye???? I couldn't find too much on the bottoms of the leaves, looked pretty mite-free. As for the brown on the buds, there is none. If its not spider mites, what could it be? Pests are so tricky!

6. it could have been something as simple as a spider crawling over you plant and leaving some web behind... but there's a lot of things that leave webbing behind... i'd clear the webs off and make sure sure nothing negative's happening to the actual plant... if not, coulda been a curious spider

i don't take action towards "pests" unless they hurt my plant, or i recognize them as evil creatures... just don't worry and keep an eye on it

7. Alright, thanks for the help Organic and Freak.

If you guys wanna stay subbed to my thread, ill keep it updated. If i positively identify spidermites, or if my plant gets worse, ill let you all know!

8. Could just be a standard spider making webs, Look for stippling , or leaf damage . Stippling is almost always spider mites .. But if its just some webbing , I wouldnt freak out to much.
    Also look for eggs along the underside of the leaf ridges , that would be another spider mite sign. If you got spider mites bad , you can see them with your naked eye up close...

9. Thanks Russy! Much appreciated. I am about to go out and purchase a illuminated pocket microscope to checkout muh baby more thoroughly......these stoner eyes man, they're decieving sometimes.....

10. Dam that highmagination, it gets me allll the time ! ;);)

11. LOL Russy.

Keep your eyes open.

Any damage at all ???

Im really glad I got u to re-check dude.

Freak

12. Me too! This is a very confusing situation. Ive been looking at quite a few pictures of SM damage, and half say the leaves get whitish/silverish spots, the other half say you get brown spots? So i am very confused. I think I did find a little bit of SM damage, but its been looking the same for the past few weeks except for the new webs...Is it possible that almost every outdoor plant gets spidermites, and some are just affected more than others? Im debating whether or not this is a major problem.

P.S. Still waiting on that microscope from radioshack to do a more thorough look, god damn credit card got declined though=(

13. Alright, so had my dad run to the local nursery and pickup some Bonide Mite-X. Was going to get horticultural oil, but the lady said this would be more effective, and is still safe to spray on vegetables and the such. Anybody have any experience with this spray?

Here's the ingredients.
    ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    Cottonseed Oil.......0.40%
    Clove Oil........0.20%
    Garlic Oil.......0.10%
    *Other ingredients...........99.30%
    Total.........100%

Other ingredients include: Sorbitol, Oleic Acid, Dodecanoic Acid, Stearic Acid, Molasses, Sucrose, And Water.

Any input (Such as when to use, if its safe to use on marijuana, is it safe to use during flowering, any other tips too) would be very much appreciated. Spida Mites make meh nervous!

14. CA MMJ ...

OK. Now u have them again lol :rolleyes:.

What happened in between the period of u goin to get a microscope and then goin to get the mite - X stuff. ???

Did u identify them ???

If they are SMs in full invasion they will drink that shit up and burp in your face and carry on the carnage lol.

The only thing that will stop SMs at full- throttle is Pyrethrum - full force up the ass.

Or synthetic chems will do it - but Im not down with that.

Whats the situ bro ???

Freak

15. @Freak....I don't think its a full invasion yet. I think they just recently started producing more....still definetely in the early stages.
    I decided they were spidermites without the microscope, there were some little black dots under a couple of leaves and a couple leaves had what i believe to be minor stippling....As for the microscope, im getting that in the morning, so if there are more spider mites then i believe, I will take your suggestion and buy me some Pyrethrum. Do you have any recipes that i could use (I.E. what to mix the Pyrethrum with)? and should I use either the Mite X or Pyrethrum in the early morning so there is no chance of burning/budrot? Im scared if i overspray with anything my colas will pay the price

16. Lol. Sorry buddy, I didnt mean to seem harsh.

It just grates me when I think of the time we have to waste with IDing, sometimes ordering, etc...I picture those little bastards just a munchin away and it really bothers me.
    Not your fault - thats the way it is with pests. Patience is something I still must work on lol.

So, Pyrethrum it is. Please dont be afraid of damaging the budz. Pyrethrum is organic.
    Its residual breakdown period lasts up to 14 dayz. It will do the job for u. I can give u quite a lengthy reference list of happy growers at GC who have used it under my direction.

The 2 best products I know are #1...CB80Extra, and, #2...Doktor Doom.

Your best bet is from a Nursery or grow store, although Walmart, Lowes & HD can have it too.

Figure out wich one ya want and then we'll move on to method of application.

cb80extra.jpg

doktordoomfoggers.jpg

Freak

17. I dont think it was harsh dude, Patience is not a good thing with Bugs, you got to get all over em, and dont let up ! And don't wait to treat, the "I'll do it tmrw " mentality doesnt work well when bugs are involved !!! :rolleyes:

If it is indeed mites, they will spread fast , Ive never dealt with them outside, so ill be watching to see how it go's.

18. Thanks for the replies guys'.

@Freak, I will definetely pick some up in the morning. When I get it, ill post which one i got, and we'll go over the application of it?

@Russy, I know I shouldn't wait, but everything ive looked at told me I have to wait till the morning to apply anything, otherwise it might burn the leaves. Or Does Pyrethrum not burn? Fuck, this sucks!!!

But thanks for stickin around guys, ill update tomorrow when i get the microscope and one of the above mentioned pyrethrum products.

Till then......Smoke on :hippie:

19. Yeah, dont spray anything during the day, I just was generalizing, like putting things off for days , etc , thats not a good call, seems like your being very pro-active, Your doing it right, keep us posted !

20. Gotcha =D

Once again, thanks for the support! I definitely could use the help to pull through this little dilemma of mine.

Ill keep ya posted.

But for now.....its Granddaddy and Kief time:smoke::smoking::bongin: