Intermittent Fasting- I am your guinea pig

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Russia, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Last night:

10x10 Dips- I almost finished it. I ended up doing like 95 rather than 100. My rotator cuff still hurts a bit so dips were not easy to finish. The dips somehow made my biceps tired as well.
    10x10x10 Seated Incline Dumbell Curls- These took me by surprise. You basically sit like you're going to do incline bench, but then curl instead. It totally isolates your biceps. I felt so weak at first before I got used to the sensation.
    3x10x10 Bent over Lateral Raises
    3x10x10 Seated side Lateral Raises
    7x15x10 Overhead Tricep Extensions- These weren't really part of the workout, but the dips got my chest a lot more than my triceps so I added these in between sets.

I've found this weird phenomenon. Every time I drink heavily, I look ripped to hell when I wake up. I think it has something to do with water being expelled from the body. On a side note I feel like I'm being stabbed in the head repeatedly.

2. Keep going strong bro, I could never do fasting. Call me a critic though.. you are definitely losing weight, but it looks like you're sacrificing a LOT of muscle/strength for minimal fat loss...

It's tough to tell, cause you're pretty cut as it is. I keep looking up, then down, then up, then down... and it shows the most in your arms. How is your performance on your workouts? (Forgive me for my laziness, I don't feel like tracking your day by day lifts ;))

3. #43 Russia, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
    You know what's funny? My weight stayed nearly constant throughout that cut. And yeah it is very hard to tell what I lost. Look around the serratus area though as well. Just anecdotaly I can tell that I lost a good portion of that last bit of "spare tire" around the middle, but that bit was kind of pushing out to the front, so you don't have a very good perspective in those pics.

Right now I'm just trying to get big and somewhat ignoring the fat loss part of things, but I'm still doing IF a couple of days a week almost out of habit. If it helps to limit my fat gain during this bulk then sweet. While I was fasting my performance pretty much stayed constant. I didn't gain much muscle because I wasn't eating that much, but that wasn't really the goal at the time. If you look through my daily lifts though, you can see that my squat for example stayed almost constant throughout the whole thing.

My theory is that I made mostly neural adaptations to augment my strength while fasting. There is a limit to how strong I can become at any certain size, and I think I more or less hit the peak for my skinny ass, which is why I'm adding more size to play with.

4. 10x10x135 Deadlifts- fuckin brutal
    10x10x70 Lat Pulldowns
    3x10x70 Low Rows
    3x10x35 Renegade Rows
    Ab circuit

5. i gave up supps and feel better. meat has it all, careful supping calcium, itll harden your arteries. (calcification)

6. Frankly right now I feel great with the supps. I do love the idea of going all natural though; that's what I did over the summer. I've never really gone all out with supplements so I wanted to try it to see if it's worth the money. As for calcification of the arteries, I looked up some studies and they were all on old ladies. I'm not an old lady, so I'm not too worried.

Today:
    10x10x35 Decline Dumbbell Press
    10x10x15 Incline Hammer Curls- WAYYY easier than last week. Body adapted fast.
    3x10 Dips
    3x10 Reverse Curls

7. Oh god my legs are gonna fall off.

Squats 5x10
    Deadlifts 5x10
    Front Squats 3x10
    Good Mornings 5x10
    Calf Raises 5x25

I went to practice later and I was cramping up so hard. I couldn't straighten my legs at the end for a while. Tomorrow shall be a rest day.

8. Bent-over Rows 10x10x80
    Standing Shoulder Press 10x10x60
    Pullups 4 sets
    Lateral Shoulder Raises 3x10x15
    ab circuit

9. Squats 10x10x145 Going up 10 pounds=no problem
    Dumbbell Bench Press 10x10x45
    Good Mornings 3x10x105
    Dips 3x10
    L-sits 3x30 seconds
    Hanging Leg Raises 3x10

I'm at 162 pounds. Not sure how much is muscle and how much is fat/water.

10. As for calcification of the arteries, I looked up some studies and they were all on old ladies. I'm not an old lady, so I'm not too worried.

Excess calcium will cause arterial calcification. Stay away from the calcium supps (unless you're messing with vegan diet nonsense)

11. Squats 10x10x145
    Leg Curls 10x10x90 This went up 15-20 pounds in like 3 weeks
    Low Cable Pull-ins 3x10x30
    Calf Raises 3x25x165

12. Decline Dumbbell Press 10x10x40
    75 Pullups
    Incline Flyes 3x10x25
    One-arm Rows 3x10x50

Getting stronger :D
    Getting bigger too though, pullups were harder than usual today

13. eat big, lift big, sleep big!

14. im gonna go out on a limb here and say

5% of people reading this actually are following/care about your excersize regimen

95% of people subscribe to this thread cause the meals you make look so horrendously dank

15. #55 Russia, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010

so.... more meal pictures then? haha

and yeah I'm sure the endless 10x10xblah blah blah gets boring; it's more for my purposes than the readers'. however, i think that posting every little detail allows others to make the most accurate possible assessment of my program. what i mean by that is that people new to exercise can look at all these sample workouts and learn how to work a certain body part for a certain goal. fitness experts can look at my regimen and help me out with any problems i might have. basically, i'd rather post too much than too little, but i am sorry for being boring

16. This is last night's workout:

Dumbbell Military Press 10x10x30
    Seated Incline Hammer Curls 10x10x20
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3x10x55 - could have done a pretty good deal more weight, but I want to develop my forearms so I'm going up slowly with these
    Zombie Curls- 3x10x15

17. lol that is exactly what i eat 6 times a day. go us:hello:

18. So, do you not eat for about 16 hours every day? Or do you do another time of IF.

Also, do you keep your calories up with carbs or with fat calories?

19. Yes, 16 hours is my usual fasting split. However, I don't do it every single day, although I'm getting pretty close to that. I still eat in the days before rugby matches (carboloading and the like) when I need certain performance. I've found that with fasting it can be kind of hit or miss. If your body chemistry is off then the sympathetic nervous system has some trouble taking over/ giving you strength. So for things like that where I can't have any doubt I stick with things that I know for sure will work. I try to do most of my training fasted however (more so with cardio than lifting).

I do a bit of a mix to get maximum calories. Over the summer when I was keeping my calories down I was eating fairly low-carb, definitely low-fat, high protein. Around September I started eating more carbs to start gaining some weight, while still staying fairly low-fat and very high protein. Now I've increased my fat intake and slightly decreased my carb intake. I read a few articles about the anabolic effects of fat as a testosterone booster and whatnot, and it also seems like it would just be easier to get enough calories with more fat since it has more energy per gram. I've seen your posts about the benefits of fat vs carbs. Would you mind explaining further what is so good about fats? I'm still apprehensive about gaining too much fat while getting big.

20. There are healthy fats, like Omega-3s in fish and other oils. These fats are known to be good for cardiovascular health, and apparently they are natural testosterone boosters. Eating fats doesn't make you fat necessarily. Eating more calories than what you are using is how you gain weight.