Glow in the dark Marijuana

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Gardenmaster, Aug 11, 2010.

1. My buddy and I were talking about how cool it would be last night to have some GMO marijuana the was bioluminescent (glowed in the dark).

It looks like the guy we would need to talk to to help us out works in Singapore where they have very strict anti-drug laws.

CHIA Tet Fatt had use firefly genes to make glow in the dark Orchids, I am sure marijuana would be much easier.

You think your purple shit is cool....... you think your shit that smells like Pineapple is cool, check my shit out, it glows in the dark.....lol.

2. Well, first off, having a glow in the dark plant would not be thaaaat hard if you had some knowledge on how to do it, (they do it with goldfish, im sure a plant would be not that hard) but if it is actually in the buds, then you would be smoking that bio-luminescent chemical. Who knows how unsafe that could be?

3. cops pull ya over...alright sir...what is that glowing under your seat:eek:

4. I saw thing thing on gene splicing and they were taking the gene from glowing fish and trying to infuse it into plants and other animals.

5. The glow in the dark goldfish are different, they are injected with a chemical.

This would be genetically altering the plant to produce glowing buds...... so generation after generation the plants would glow. If you are worried about what putting genetically altered plants into your body does then I hope you didn't eat any McDonald's French fries in the 90's.

6. haha, glow in the dark cats..
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdLJ78RBWk]YouTube - Glow in the dark cats[/ame]

7. I always trip out about clones of animals and stuff. The day I see myself walking down the street is the day I kill myself. Then i could live in peace. Man I am BAAAAAAKKED. Sorry I have nothing to add realy :(

8. HAH that would be so shitty, cool idea but wouldnt wanna smoke glowing buds =s let the fire make it glow =]

9. They have done it with tobacco plants for sure. I remember in one of the genetics courses I've taken over the years there was a photo of an entire field of tobacco plants that had been spliced with the genes responsible for bioluminescence in fire flies. It was pretty dang cool. And it wasn't some faint red like those kittens. These plants were glowing bright green.

I want them to splice some genes into me that will allow me to photosynthesize. Eating is such a pain in the ass.

10. Bioluminescent trichomes are the future. Wait, wouldnt that fuck up 12/12? lol

11. Funny but true.. They put beef in their fries back in the day.. Who knows what else:bolt:

12. If your plants glowed green or blue, you'd probably be okay, since it takes red light to turn Pr into Pfr... or you could use an autoflowering strain...

-Loki

13. All you would need is a bunch of germs from a seeds, the genes of the firefly and a invasive fungus that attacks the cell wall of the germs and allows the genes of firefly to infiltrate the cell.

BBC did a show on GMOs and they showed how to do it in quite a simple manner. If you could isolate firefly bioluminescent genes and that fungus then you are set!

But I would have to kill you for making GMOs

• Like Like x 1

14. Actually, Luciferase can be bought in assays pre-packaged with any number of promoters. You could make glowing pot for about $100, assuming you had the setup to do tissue cultures already.

-Loki

15. #15 420 Man, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    someone please look into this bioluminescent chemical and see if you can uncover any possible side effects from blazing?

if its safe we all should start breeding now and make a seed bank, "glow in the dark" seeds would be in so much demand for testing if it was proven safe.

green crack or white widow something simple put in a hybrid program
    im ramblin
    sorry its cool, and
    crazyyy

16. I don't think Luciferase is toxic, but I can't find much reseach on it.

I thought since they put it in tobacco, someone might have mentioned it, but no...

-Loki

17. has there been any movement on this idea? You would need access to analytical instruments (GCMS, LCMS, etc...) to do testing on multiple generations (possible harmful genetic mutations that might not be expressed in the first few generations). I think if someone spent enough time on scifinder researching fluorophores, they would be able to bypass a lot of trial and error. I'm in if someone is actually serious about this.

18. i really like this idea, almost as much as triches on tomato leaves, but this idea isn't as close to beign ready so not quite as cool yet
    what we REALLY should do, IF NONE CAN FIND SOME RESEARCH THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE, IS GROW SOME GLOWINTHEDARK'S AND HAVE SOME VOLUNTEERS WILLING TO GIVE IT A GO AND GET EXTESIVELY TESTED FOR ANY ISSUES

19. Nothings hard if you know how to do it.

Gene isolation, tissue cultures, biosymbiotics...easy?

I'll wait for y'alls tutorial.

--
    I'd prefer a gene to help build resistance to spider mites and PM. That seems like a progressive development. Especially if we're gene-splicing.

20. me too....:eek: