The primary purpose of this journal is to share my experience, and log all data. This is my first grow, with the following primary goals:
1. To grow a personal stash, as efficiently as possible using only LED lighting.
2. Learn and share my experience with GC.
Now I'm sure most starting their first grow would take a far more conventional route. In regards to my lighting choice, please know that I've read many compelling reasons to stay away from it - I know the risks, and thats what makes it interesting!
Now that that's been said, lets get down to details:
1. The Grow Box and Lighting
2. Preparing the Coco Coir
3. The Lighting Configuration
4. Seedling Nute/Water Prep
5. Day Two: Little Sprouts
6. Day 4: A Quick Snapshot
7. Day 6: A Quick Transplant
8. Day 8: He's Dead, Jim.
9. Day 9: Stay Away from the Light #2!!
10. Day 10: Business as Usual
11. Day 11: A Mutant in the Bunch?
12. Day 12, 13, 14
13. Day 15: Time to Repot?
14. Day 16: All is well in the Purple Garden
15. Day 17: A Well Needed Transplant
16. Day 18
17. Day 19: LST'ing
18. Day 20: Going Well
19. Day 21: Let the Flushing Begin
20. Day 22: The Introduction of a New Light
21. Day 23: The Road to Recovery
22. Day 24: Cal-Mag to Save the Day
23. Day 25
24. Day 26: Everyone's Looking Great!
25. Day 26: Introducing the ALMA!
26. Day 27: 3 More Days till Flower!
27. Day 28: The Final Days of Veg
28. Interlude: Grow Medium Recycling
29. Flower Day 0: Flushed and Ready to Go
30. Flower Day 1: Let the Great Wait Begin
31. Flower Day 2: Extra Bushy = Extra Buds?
32. Flower Day 6/7: No Signs of Sex Yet
33. Flower Day 8: First Male?
34. Flower Day 9: And Then There Were 7
35. Flower Day 10: Patiently Waiting for Buds
36. Flower Day 11: First Confirmed Female!
37. Flower Day 12: The Great Sorting of Sexes
38. Flower Day 13: Random Images
39. Flower Day 15: Slow Down Ladies - Don't Go Too Fast!
40. Flower Day 18: First Bud Shots!
41. Flower Day 19: More Stretching and Signs of Trouble?
42. Flower Day 20: Images Taken in a New Light
43. Flower Day 23: 28" and I think We're Done Stretching
44. Flower Day 24: New Nutes - No New Problems
45. Flower Day 25: Down to 4 Ladies
46. Flower Day 26: Progress as Usual
47. Flower Day 27: A Good Flushing + More Light
48. Flower Day 30: 30 Days from 12/12 (technically 20 days into flower)
49. Flower Day 31: Bud Macro Shots!
27. Flower Day 23 (33 days from 12/12): Pruners Remorse
29. Interlude: Trimming During Flowering - Excellent Contribution by GrapeStreet
30. Flower Day 27 (37 days from 12/12): Random Shots
31. Flower Day 29 (39 days from 12/12): Second Grow Pics
32. Flower Day 33 (44 days from 12/12): Tons of Pics!
33. Super Macro Shots
34. Flower Day 36 (46 Days from 12/12): Just Another Day of Waiting!
I decided to grow indoors with as much control as possible. I have a spare utility room connected to my house (access from the back of my house). There's no AC or insulation in there, and it gets pretty steamy in there during the summertime.
I originally designed a custom box for the space, but while at Lowes I found a large cabinet for less than the materials it would've taken to build. Heres what it looks like assembled and in place:
Just tools here people, nothing to see..
I laminated the interior with 2mil mylar:
Since temp and ventilation are important, I decided to draw conditioned air (from inside the house) into this cabinet. The cabinet exhausts into the utility room. I took several measures to ensure the cabinet was as air/light tight as possible by using caulk and weatherstripping at all gaps. Notice how I used weatherstripping on the inside of the cabinet doors:
I ran a single circuit to the cabinet to power the fan and lights. I chose an Air King 50CFM bathroom fan (1.0 Sones) because of its efficiency. When you're inside the utility room, you cant even here it running from inside. I paid $40 off Amazon. (Update 8/28: I've had this thing on "low" for two weeks w/ no issues. Good to know considering I haven't added a carbon filter yet).
This upper compartment also serves as a storage area for growing supplies/materials:
I just finished that tonight, and have (located inside the cabinet) a remote thermometer/hygrometer so I can monitor its performance. At this moment (with it being closed for an hour), the internal temperature is 81 degrees, 51% humidity :: compared to the temp outside right now which is 89 deg, 73% humidity.
As mentioned before, I wanted to experiment with LED lighting by introducing multiple lights from various sources. I will be using a total of 5 lighting units:
(Update 9/9/10: The below light config has changed a bit throughout flowering. The 140w was introduced approx 20 days into veg)
2 24w Sunlight Systems GrowPanel45s
2 14w Quad Band Panels
1 140w 7 Band Unit w/ 1w and 3w CREE LED (Red, Red, Blue, White, White, UV, IR)
I'll start the next entry tomorrow once I get the seedlings in some coco. Be sure to comment/subscript - its gonna get interesting!
Edited by MrSmoke, 29 October 2010 - 04:26 PM.