Does Nas have flow?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by smoke blunts, Aug 7, 2010.

1. The thread title is a fucking joke.

An old friend of mine and I were cruising around and listening to some tunes. Anyways, my iPod playlists always have mad rap mixed with a bunch of other different types of music. When I make a new playlist, I just add whatever I'm feeling at the time, you know?

Long story short, this kid is all kinds of cool for the first like 20 minutes. I believe the only two rap songs to have come on at that point were Ludacris and then Wayne. He had no problem with those two. But then Nas comes on, and this is the conversation to follow...

Him: you like this garbage?
    Me: ? What?
    Him: you like this garbage?
    Me: Garbage?
    Him: Nas
    Me: Nas isn't garbage bro
    Him: I don't know man, I like rappers with flow.. talented rappers
    Me: Ok, but I just put on Wayne, and you were all over his shit. And now you're dissing NAS?

I don't need you guys to tell me Nas has flow. I thought this was the most ridiculous situation that I've ever been in regarding rap taste. Who the fuck is really going to say Nas doesn't have talent? I personally hold Illmatic as one of the best (if not the best IMO, even if Nas isn't my favorite) album of all time.

Thoughts? By the way, a big fat LOL considering of all the songs he hates on, this is the one...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKYkDwzi-FI]YouTube - ‪Nas - Represent‬‎[/ame]

2. that's pretty funny. that kind of mentality is grounds for me not hanging with the dude again honestly. i've never met anyone who understands music and hasn't appreciated nas' talent, even if they don't like hip hop in general

3. Typical of a lil wayne fan.

They dont know theres better music out there, since Lil Wayne brainwashed them into thinking hes the best, they disregard the true Hip hop artists.

4. Hey now... big Wayne fan here. Big fan.

Then again, I'm a fan of his music. Guy has lots of talent, no doubt, but I would never put him in the top 15, and he really fell off the map after Carter 2.

But agreed- people consider Gucci, Wayne, and Jeezy talent and forgot about Nas, Pun, and others (obviously everyone is in agreement over Jay/Pac/Big)

5. this haha

6. Wow. I cant even listen to lil wayne, but Nas is that shit. Anybody who listens to rap like that, but cant respect nas??? shouldnt even listen to rap

7. illmatic is the shit.

8. Agreed... maybe he needs an overproduced chorus? That's why I appreciate Nas- he doesn't concern himself too much with a chorus that will blow you away. Instead, he'll just kill the verses.

9. Im not saying there all like that.

Just the teenage ones in high school and the ones making threads worshiping him in music hall.

Of course there are exceptions. Ide be surprised to find someone that grew up bumping Boogie Down Productions, Wu-Tang, Nas and all that good shit , then starts obsessing over Lil Wayne.

10. Nas can rap circles around Wayne. :confused_2:

I wouldn't say it's grounds to stop chillin' with the dude, but it's definitely grounds to make fun of him forever about his taste in music.

11. I find with a lot of kids I know I'll play wonderful poetic rap like nas, blackstar, etc... and they won't dig it but they love wayne and others like him,

I've come to the conclusion that those people don't like the good stuff because the lyrics are too intelligent and fast and their small brains can't comprehend it...

wayne (I actually do like some of his songs, but he's alright, nothing more) and other mainstream modern rappers tend to have a very slow way of rapping where they emphasize the catchy lines, making it easier for these kids to comprehend it.

Nas and other great rappers just flow at a pretty good speed throughout the whole song using intelligent lyrics, more poetically, and I think it just goes right over some people's heads.... sucks for them.

12. OMGGGG!!! You took the words right outta my mouth!:eek:

Nas is one of the best lyricist of all time. Key word: Lyricist