Really Want Marijuana Legalized? Then Answer this Question

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Really Want Marijuana Legalized? Then Answer this Question

The laws prohibiting marijuana were established to protect America and they abide by the government's constitutional powers. However, the final decision rests in the hands of the average American citizen. Is legalizing marijuana beneficial or harmful for America? The obvious answer is that legalizing marijuana for non-medial and non-religious purposes is harmful to America as whole.
    -- It is obvious that alcohol is more harmful then marijuana in just about every way.
    You can die the first time you get drunk. Alcohol is physically addictive and chronic drinkers develop fatal complications. Even more disturbing is the fact that alcohol withdraw can be fatal without medical intervention. Even daily marijuana use would not add to the chronic drinker's physical problems.
    -- While some people try to imply that marijuana would replace alcohol use in our society there are no scientific studies to back this up. Personally, I see people at my school smoke marijuana and drink, many music videos are about "gettin drunk n high," and many narcotics anonymous members are addicted to hard drugs and alcohol. The combination of alcohol and marijuana may only be as physically harmful as the amount of alcohol consumed, however it is scientific fact that using these two substances together makes impairment worse. Impairment of
    any kind effects judgement and the ability to drive. It also can influence people to engage in risky behavior and puts women in danger.
    -- I may be mistaken, but I do not think marijuana users want to get "half-baked", I think generally people smoke marijuana to get high. Some people drink alcohol to get drunk, but many people just have a few drinks.
    -- I hear many marijuana smokers say that they want what is best for society in there day to day hippy affairs. Maybe they should advocate alcohol prohibition.
    -- It's a well known medical fact that heavy marijuana does not cause any permanent damage to the body or mind. Many people go as far as saying its harmless because a single high only impairs the brain for 24-48 hours. Some people may think this is not a big deal, but if you add up the impairment for the entire nation it is. Especially, for people who are heavy users. You could argue that the mind of a person who chronically smokes a ton of weed is completely normal within a few months, what has this person failed to accomplish? I know quite a few marijuana smokers that do very well in school, but the three drop outs I know were big marijuana smokers. There is a good chance that taxpayers will either have to use the money they earned to pay for welfare or incarceration of these marijuana smoking dropouts.
    -- Much of harm also comes from the fact that many marijuana smokers can hide the fact that they are high. If someone comes to school or work drunk they reek. If someone gets into a fatal car wreak while stoned it is hard to prove. It is easy to spot an alcoholic, but it is hard to tell if your
    employee is high or just retarded. It's not to say that some people seem to be unaffected by their marijuana use and excel in life. The question is, does society want to give their money to the ones who fail?
    -- Another concern is who would be allowed to smoke marijuana. Could children? Could doctors? Could lawyers? Children can legally drink cough medicine (if you don't know what I am talking about search "robo tripping") to get high. Children can legally smoke legal marijuana alternatives, many of which could be harmful. You could smell a drunk doctor, but what if he was high or impaired from smoking weed a few hours ago. What if your lawyer was high and made a mistake resulting in your high doctor not being held accountable for damages?
    -- Some advocates believe that if marijuana was legal it would harder for kids to acquire. I don't think that would be the case since legal marijuana would have to be cheaper then black market marijuana. During prohibition the cost of alcohol kept it out of the hand of children. Alcohol is harder to make, but you can just grow weed. Some marijuana advocates believe that marijuana legalization would take the thrill out of smoking weed and consequently reduce its usage. Something that is cheap and pleasurable would most likely become more common.
    -- Marijuana is basically legal for successful people. You can just work hard in school, get a good job and grow your own plant in your basement. Unless your bragging about
    it I think you would be safe.
    -- I don't think marijuana would help our society. Contrary to common belief very few people are in jail for first time recreational marijuana offenses especially in states that decriminalized it. Dealing or possessing marijuana while committing another crime will get you locked up.
    -- I know marijuana is not physically addictive, but I know this one kid who got caught dealing and failed a subsequent drug test. Disregarding how you feel about marijuana being illegal, he risked prison to smoke weed; that is addiction.
    -- Some money could be made off taxing it, but the government would have to compete with home growers.
    -- I don't think marijuana is bad for some people, but I think that legalizing it for all of society would reduce our nation's productivity. Kids need to study and adults need to work. I see marijuana as another thing that would hold people back. When some people choose marijuana over work and collect welfare or steal and go to jail we all pay, successful smokers and non-smokers.
    - I want to hear some arguments for: How would recreational (non-medical, non-religious) marijuana benefit the nation as a whole if it were legal?

I will leave this for the GC members to rebuke and refute. Please make up your answers and back up your arguments with links to sources,and go to Opposing views and copy/ paste your responses at the link in the title:D

2. If its already a medicine, and it helps somones quality of life, then why should there even be an argument.

Alcohol is legal, and it harms you in the end.

Tobacco is legal and that harms you in the end.

I just dont get it

3. just because someone risks jail for weed that doesnt mean hes addicted, i mean smoking weed for the first time is taking that same chance, but its impossible for you to be addicted to something you havent done yet.

4. #4 Deck-ter, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    and it doesnt have to benifit this nation, its about personal choice and being able to put whatevr you want in your body.

'It also can influence people to engage in risky behavior and puts women in danger."

what? this is sexist how can it only put women in danger

5. it is not hard to tell if someones stoned....look at the pupils

6. 3 in a row....tearing shit up

7. you could smell weed on your lawyer just as much as you can smell alchohol, you cant smell pills on someone so are you going to outlaw thoes to

8. its possible to smoke to not get high just take a few puffs from the joint and dont inhale, to enjoy the flavor

9. weed would be for 21 years old and up

10. #10 Deck-ter, Jul 24, 2010
    "Marijuana is basically legal for successful people. You can just work hard in school, get a good job and grow your own plant in your basement. Unless your bragging about
    it I think you would be safe."

so you want us to break laws?, you think it would be safe? Think about things before you type

"Some money could be made off taxing it, but the government would have to compete with home growers."

they do good against home brewers and making beer is easier than growing weed

11. #11 Deck-ter, Jul 24, 2010
    it dont matter if first timers who get caught dont do time, you still get took to the holdin cell and you still go to court, you shouldnt have to deal with that.

"It's a well known medical fact that heavy marijuana does not cause any permanent damage to the body or mind. Many people go as far as saying its harmless because a single high only impairs the brain for 24-48 hours."

more like 1-3 hours

12. I don't know if multiple posts was the right way to spread that info man.

13. #13 Deck-ter, Jul 24, 2010
    I don't think marijuana is bad for some people, but I think that legalizing it for all of society would reduce our nation's productivity. Kids need to study and adults need to work. I see marijuana as another thing that would hold people back. When some people choose marijuana over work and collect welfare or steal and go to jail we all pay, successful smokers and non-smokers.

since you can see the future, whats the lotto numbers?

Some advocates believe that if marijuana was legal it would harder for kids to acquire. I don't think that would be the case since legal marijuana would have to be cheaper then black market marijuana. During prohibition the cost of alcohol kept it out of the hand of children. Alcohol is harder to make, but you can just grow weed. Some marijuana advocates believe that marijuana legalization would take the thrill out of smoking weed and consequently reduce its usage. Something that is cheap and pleasurable would most likely become more common.

growing weed is harder than brewing beer...it takes months to grow weed.

14. i dont think op is going to direct them to this site hes probably going to copy/paste answers and send it to who ever wrote that titan-graph

15. #15 Metal_Rain, Jul 24, 2010
    I stopped reading after you said that the federal laws making marijuana illegal abide by the constitution. It's time for somebody to read the 10th amendment.

It wasn't made illegal to protect America. It was made illegal to benefit corporations and the polititians they lobby. Perhaps you believe it was made illegal so that "white women would not seek relations with negroes."

16. I think this person is very stuck in their thinking

someone get this girl a high chair to sit at the big table

17. "- Marijuana is basically legal for successful people. You can just work hard in school, get a good job and grow your own plant in your basement. Unless your bragging about
    it I think you would be safe."

That is not an argument for maintaining prohibition, this is all "I dont think legalizing it would be a good idea", but well WHAT the heck do you think is a good idea?

Prohibition is NOT, we have proven that with years of failure and its time to move on.

18. "Something that is cheap and pleasurable would most likely become more common."

and?

19. well first off, its not true that "marijuana will make you lazy or unproductive". Its really up to the smoker, if they are a lazy person THEN they will be lazy. Its in their nature

you simply cannot have a free country, where you do not let people choice what they can and cant do with THEIR own bodies. Thats soo fucked up. To say that a government has control over the substances that you want to put into your body. THEN you risk jailtime if you do it.

20. Legalizing marijuana would help the nation as a whole:

1) It would stop use from wasting tax dollars on putting people in prison. It is a waste of money to put any person who uses marijuana in jail (most place we don't unless they continue to use it while on probation). However, most of the people that we buy from are not distributing on a large scale but still face long sentences for distributing an illegal substance. These people are generally non-violent and we do place a real dent in the distribution chains by removing a single small time dealer from the chain. Furthermore, once a person has had a contact w/ the criminal justice system they face endless stigmas which can turn normal individuals into much less productive elements in society because they are forced to work jobs that will overlook a misdemeanor possession charge or a felony distribution charge.

2) It would allow for those of use that choose the less detrimental drug to function in society without constant fear that we can face negative repercussions. Kids can still lose financial aid, parents can lose children to the state or the other partner in a divorce, you can lose housing if you're really poor, you can lose your job w/o redress and w/o fault of your own (other than using an illegal substance) and you can be prevented from getting a decent job. This is all just because you choose to smoke weed instead of drinking alcohol. I would give up drinking (which i do rarely as it is) and solely smoke if it was acceptable in my community. Unfortunately it is not, and the most common place for a 26 yr old male to meet females is at bars. If there was a bar where I could smoke pot I would use that instead of going to an average bar on a Saturday night. I think it would be good for Americans to have the choice.