Coco Experiment - Marine Cuisine

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by AskEd, Jul 12, 2010.

1. my man ed, what a bummer bout the male. did ya keep him? :ey:
    These god damn gnats are "buggin" the shit outta me.
    I tried your perlite trick but if that doesn't work I'm bout to trek to the store to grab that Don't bug me from fox farms. I shoulda just bought that in the first place but ehh you know how it is. :smoking:
    The marine cuisine worked great, unless it caused the bean to go male but i highly doubt that. hope you and yours are doin good, take care :wave:

2. 'Tis but a flesh wound!! Have we not learned something from your endeavors?? Please try again, Mr. Ed :D

3. bummer about the nadds dude but the formula your workin' on did grow 1 killer healthy plant..so that parts good..we roll with the punches and if a femmer can go male while your growin' and careing for it just goes to show..sometimes ya dont hafta stress the crap out of them to go male or hermy..its in the genes and thats tough to fight...look foward to your next endevor:wave:

4. Hey Ed!

Been reading and reading and decided to attempt your style of premixing coco and other organic nutrients after my first grow with plain coco, canna nutrients, and tap water with epson salt.

I've started off a batch of babies with coco, perlite, bat guano, seabird guano, mycorr. fungi, blood and bone meal(following your recipe mix from your guide). Seems they like it except one tomato and one crispy sprout didn't seem to pull through. I'm using RO water supplemented with CalMag and pHed to proper level. They just wilted over and never woke up. :cry:

I can't seem to find dolomite lime as the hydro store says it's not carried because of carcinogenic effects. Any idea where to find it?

Also I notice you talk mainly about Indonesian and Jamaican mon bat guano but what's up with seabird? I bought the "international kit" of bat shit. Could this be messing up my crispy kids?

Lastly thank you for your time and shared information/experience/knowledge!

5. I cant keep up with you and your threads Ed, lol, great stuff as always brotha! Ive been having coco on the mind but cant seems to stop buying this Ocean Forest :laughing:

6. Im hoping this thread does not die...and I would love to see more recent marine cuisine grows...well, I mixed myself up a batch last night with the newly rinsed coir...the forums were down and could not remember the whole formula...i added two tbsps of dolomite lime...I'm guessing it should not make much of a difference..

7. It is not going to die. Ed has just been extremely busy and has not been on GC. He will be back with massive updates. He has more experiments in progress with the Marine Cuisine and is sold on it for vegging hands down. Uncle Pat (previously Aunt Peggy) is still going strong out back and has only had Marine Cuisine and looking great.

8. Thats good to hear. I am looking forward to the updates as well. I just started my own little experiment based off of Ed's formula with half the plants being fed with marine cuisine and the other half is just coco and I am using my Advanced Nutrients line just so I can see which has better results.

9. Thank you much MrsEd! I can imagine how busy he has been lol! Could you advise if it is best to rinse bricks of coir if not obtained from the hydro store? I am using zoomed coco coir didn't wash the stuff and burned up all my seedlings...this was before getting the marine cuisine...ihave started all over and rinsed the coir really well...I think I'm going to pick up a brick at the hydro store just to see if I will burn again without a rinse...

10. He has a brick of that stuff from Petsmart but has not tried it out yet but it does stand to reason that stuff is not as washed as the stuff produced for plants. If you get at the hydro store you should be good to go and no rinse needed.

11. If I may offer my humble advise...please tell him to rinse it good!..i will know shortly if that was the culprit of burning everything up lol...thanks for the info about the hdrostore coir...!

12. Hey PallWall! Are you the people's champ? LOL (sorry if that doesn't make sense, it's a local thing here sorta).

Hey I'm stoked to hear ya trying the mixes man, I should note that I'm in the experimental phases myself so I can't say I have that shit down, but I will say I've learned a lot along the way and I love growing with this style, it's really cool and deep.

Anyhow - the different guanos I mention because of the testing, I try them all and have seen them in action over the last few months. I like the Indonesian because it mixes up so well (it's more of a powder than terds) and the plants respond fast to it. The peruvian seabird guano is pelletized since they scrape that shit off rocks, it's a little easier to handle that way LOL They all work great but the Indo has very little N, it's a good finisher but I jsut use it for the whole flowering period.

Be careful with the blood meal and seabird guano - they seem to burn plants pretty easy. If you can't dind the dolotime limestone, try using gypsum, it's pure calsium and will keep the deficiency at bay.

13. Yeah a good rinse helps with the finer coirs, I like to see a little clear in the runoff. If you are unfamiliar withthe coir, I suggest doing a PPM check on the runoff and a slurry ph test. Best of luck with the grows man!

14. Thanks for all the kind words and condolences everyone! Let me say that I absolutely LOVE this Marine Cuisine, it's really awesome. I am running half my plants in the MC mix now, and the other half in my own coco mix. Both are working incredibly well so I'm running the two through flowering to see which performs better throughout the grow. I have a LOT of plants in MC and I'll update this thread later with some samples.

In the meantime, here's some pics of Aunt Peg/Uncle Pat after 2 or 3 weeks outside away from my harem. I still haven't fed him, just tap water straight out of the hose (7.2ph/225ppm). He is absolutely perfect healthwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hey Ed:wave:
    I love this experiment u had going on. I would hav really liked to hav seen uncle pat go through flowerin if he was still aunt peg.

Anyway, i got 2 lovely hashberries comin through nicely growin in soil under strong lights and need to transplant soon but i am still contemplatin wheather to go hydro or coco. I kno they are both very similar but i havent really read anythin on the duration of a harvest grown in coco versus hydro.

Is hydro still a faster paced growing method at an estimated 3 months a grow, do u kno? And how long do ur coco grows typically take? Thanks for ur time Ed, i wouldnt be askin if ur name wasnt AskEd:D:p

Hope i get my pro's and con's figured out with these 2 similar but different growin methods..

16. I know I should lol...I am currently waiting for UPS to bring my meters to me...I know I should show some patients and do everything right, but I am not working with anything valuable at the moment...but I should have my meters by the time my BOG strains get in town....

When I did do the rinse, I did run it until everything was clear so I am guessing Ill have better results until I can test the next runoff..

17. Ed -

How does the price compare to buying ingredients in bulk and using over the long run? Thanks!

18. Hey Tutor! I haven't seen any time difference with coco, it still requires the same time to mature that soil or hydro does. The only time I save is on curing, for whatever reason weed just tastes awesome as soon as it dries when grown in coco.

To me the real advantage of hydro grows is the ability to get more air to the roots, coco doesn't do this as well as hydro, but it does that better than soil. More air results in bigger buds and harvests. To me the advantage of coco over most hydro systems is that it's lower maintenance (not always, but usually) and coco is much more forgiving with ph and ppms.

Not sure if that helps any but that's my take on it. :smoking:

Right on man, I always suggest a little experimentation with expendables LOL I usually clone an extra lab rat or two just for that purpose. Have fun with your meter(s), makes life a lot easier in trying to figure things out :)

Hmmm.... good question, I think I've spent a small fortune on a lot of crap (literally LOL), but if I knew what I was doing and had my mix dialed in, I think I could get the price per unit down really low with the bulk items - and I would be set for years. I think for $200 I can get enough to last several years.

But $10-$15 for Marine Cuisine (I'd say a year's supply in my garden - but the bigger cost is the flower nutes, guano for example) is not too shabby either, and for short term I don't see it getting much cheaper. Not to mention it's damn close to what I mix together on my own anyways. The convenience has me diggin it, MrsEd says it's too much like auto-pilot for her so I don't see her switching anytime soon LOL

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would be cheaper short term. If you don't have the cash or storage room for the supplies, it would be hard to buy in bulk.

20. I think you've got me convinced to try this, Ed. We're living with family at the moment and I can't 'grow', but I can garden. I'm really tempted to try this in the planter boxes for fall veggies. I prefer to experiment with less valuable plants, anyways. I can always buy a giant bag of spinach for a few bucks if I screw that up...not as cheap to do that with my grow. ;)