Do you name your bongs and pipes?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by pearl75, Jul 7, 2010.

1. I have friends who do, and friends who don't. I name all mine though, even my vaporizer. I have a small, metal pipe with psychadelic, swirling colors that change under a black light. I call that my dooder. Don't ask me why. When I asked the attendent at the head shop about it I asked, "Lemme see that little dooder." I've called it dooder ever since. I have a medium length, hand blown glass bong, with deep violet and rose colored swirls, and a wide bottom. She's a fat-bottomed girl, so I call her Big Bertha. Then I have an average sized, glass water bubbler with pretty red swirls all through it. The colors get darker when you smoke from it. As a spin off from Big Bertha, I call him Little Bubba. Lastly, I have my Kia vaporizer. I love this thing. It looks like a metal make-up case. When you flip the latch and lift the lid, the vaporizer is attached to the hinges and it pops out of the box. Underneath is open space for storing and stashing. The best part is it locks! I call my Kia Nastasha. Her only down side is that she has to be plugged in, but I can live with that. I love all my toys. I like shopping for them too. I like browsing through them and looking at them. Some are so beautiful. I think Bertha is beautiful. Someday I need to take, and post a picture of her.

2. Yes and I do it all by myself.

I dislike people in such a rush to name their pieces they have to ask people on Grasscity. If you're going to name your piece do it right and make it significant to yourself, no one else.

3. I didn't ask anyone for help naming a piece. :confused:

4. Me and my friend keep it simple, we call all 3 of our bongs bongy and all of our pipes pipey except one that is a double headed dragon, we call him budzilla...I guess were not as creative as you but you get bonus points for it i guess hahaa :) idk...now i do want to give them all names.....

5. I do. It's a habit that I picked up the first time that I smoked with a large group. They always named everything as a kind of half measure of stealth (it's just easier to say that you're going to take a walk with "Bob" rather than broadcast your true intentions if you're unsure of someone in the room), and also partly out of self-amusement.

I actually have one that I'm in the process of naming now. It's a small hand-blown bubbler done in a very sherlock-y style. It saw it's first flame last night (but last night got a wee bit odd, so the name did not come so naturally). For me, sometimes it is instantaneous, sometimes it takes several uses before a good name sticks. You have to let it come naturally, organically. You can't force it. If you do, it will never quite seem to fit just right. At least, that's how it is for me.

I really would like to hear more input on other people's processes or naming experiences.

6. I've got BK, a bong
    The JB/the driver another bong
    the putter, a bubbler
    and my black and silver glass pipe, Al Davis

7. Only if the piece has an animal on it or is an animal or something... I had a lil elephant pipe named bo-bo, have had hundreds of pieces but other than bo-bo didnt name any.

8. That's why me and most of my friends who smoke name our pipes too. If I say I'm going to contact Bertha, only those in the know will understand what I'm talking about. Plus, it's fun.

9. haha al davis pipe. Love the raiders but that must be one ugly pipe if it resembles Al

10. I've always named my pieces. I agree though, it has to be organic. No "I-like-this-name-so-thats-what-I'll-call-it" naming, it has to mean something. Sometimes it comes fast, sometimes it comes slow, sometimes it even changes. Kinda like wands in Harry Potter: the wizard doesn't choose the wand, the wand chooses the wizard. You don't name the pipe, the pipe tells you its name.

I have a CCG pipe named Homer (because of the donut mouthpiece)
    A meershcaum (kind of mineral) pipe in the shape of a unicorn head. Its pretty cool, he has a really intense look on his face, his name is Pokey (after Gumby's best friend)
    A metal six shooter named Tuco, after The Ugly from the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (because he's a dirty sonuvagun, just like Tuco)
    An old wooden pipe with a huge bowl named El
    Capitán, because thats gangsta

11. Yup.

Could not agree more.

12. no, i don't.

13. i used to.... in highschool

14. I think naming glass brings bad luck on the piece.. like it'll break soon after being named, or some other misfortune. Believe it or not..

I had 1 friend name his pipe and within 5 minutes it was broken some way or another(dropped off his lap I think).

I also had a piece that I didn't name for about 2 years, and then I finally named it. The next day, got caught with it :(

Maybe coincidences but still, enough to turn me into a believer on this subject lol

15. Haha, I still have my very first spoon that I got six years ago and named that night. It's a red and yellow Zong with a pearl of green, blue and purple swirled on the side opposite to the carb.

16. true.

also, this may seem obvious but only the owner of the piece is allowed to decide on the final the name. others are allowed input but the piece will have the most influence.
    once a suitable name is found, it sticks and cannot be changed.

i've been around many stoners who name their pieces but its only worth doing on a good piece. shitty and or disposable pieces don't deserve personal names but only 'labels' ie. 'sad bongs' to describe our little homemade's using a hosepipe and drink bottle.

one of my friend's had a 19cm clear glass pipe with feet/bowl shaped like feet/tail. its name was 'No-shadow Dragon', which we collaborated on.
    he had a beautiful colour changing glass bong with swirly colours in the bottom half and was ornamentally decorated. it was called magic genie i think, but she broke :(

another friend had 'Little Red', a small red acrylic bong. who had a big brother Big something but I can't remember what.

I have a glass bong with a gripper style, which due to its slender shape and rib-like ridges, i call 'pai kuat', which is chinese for 'spare-ribs' and is a nickname we give to skinny people. that name took a few weeks to come but i was not smoking often.

I would have a photo here but my POS iphone is being repaired.

oh, this is my first post btw.

17. i used to be a beatles freak..still am i guess, but i have a lucy, an eleanor (rigby), the walrus, the eggman, and a jeremy (nowhere man from the yellow submarine, also the blower's name)

other pieces just get random names, or i just call them by the artist's name if it's a known blower. they're not all named - it kinda has to come to you! ex, my 2ft straight beaker, which kills me every time i bring it out..it's an HBG. i named it date rape(GHB) the first time i smoked out of it and it just stuck

but i do agree..think them up yourself! who cares if other people like em?

18. i named the first bowl i ever got.
    since then for whatever reason i have such a hard time naming pieces... i can never think of anything good. i have a new bowl thats similar in color to the first one i had, and so i originally named it cataquack jr.
    but i keep forgetting.

my friend told me she liked the name junior though, cause its pretty small... so i guess now its cataquack jr (aka junior). i like it.

i have another pipe that i dont like and never bothered naming... i kinda want to just sell it to someone cause its crap. i dont know why the hell i bought it in the first place.

and i have another piece my friend just bought me... i want to name it but i havent thought of anything good yet... i think i gotta get high with it first and see what comes to mind then.

19. Well... that's where it started for me also, but the habit has stuck over the past 15+ years. I'm not a very nostalgic person in general, but this is one of the very few habits I have kept since then. One of the last bastions of childhood that I'm still clinging to (in an oddly proud sort of way), I guess you could say.

20. I didn't say you asked anyone for helping naming a piece. :confused: