Avoiding logical fallacies

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Zerotheory, Jun 29, 2010.

It's too bad that those who require it most - don't read it at all!

2. more like Logical Phallacies! AMIRITE!?

3. I love logical fallacies. They break it all down in a really satisfying way. I don't know it makes so much sense to me when I'm high.

4. Is logic universally true enough for there to be particular models by which one determines what is a logical argument and what is not? Can my can logic be justifiably viewed in subjective terms?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Do you think people are taught to think this way or they are born with this "pre-set knowledge".

6. Your examples are funny as hell hahah

7. 3 Uintah sbou9

8. Smart post.

9. n00b you fail.

10. It makes perfectly logical sense for me to make more money than you, I am better than you.

As in, you actually fail.

11. You missed the only one I know. "Entitlement fallacy"
    Example. " The government is responsible for my well being..because I am an American."

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

12. yourlogicalfallacyis.com

13. The problem I often have is this. I'll have conversations with people in which I point out false logic, but they don't understand logic and reasoning, so they simply shove it aside and keep doing what they are doing, which is false logic in itself. It reminds me of a quote by Sam Harris.  

\t“If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?”

14. Start posting a link to this thread after you point out a fallacy.

15. Avoiding illogical fallacies also comes from a strong use of semantics; in this case, using language as a word game to pull an argument out of your ass.