Tobacco Mosaic Virus(tmv)

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by joe_fresh, Jun 23, 2010.

1. I just took the ashtray out of the grow room. It is now a no smoking zone...Thanks Joe.

2. from what i heard, its not the smoking of tobacco that can infect your plant.

the virus is very resilliant, and will survive on the dried tobacco in the ciggarette, then when it comes in contact with the growers hands he can infect his plants through touching the plants with the virus on his hands

3. A good way to prevent this would be to wash your hands before dealing with the plants. It would also be well noted to not keep tobacco products around your plants.

You are putting in some great research here. Great Work Joe.

4. i Have a case of thrips, i just used co2 @ 10000ppm to kill them. i was talking to someone with a botany degree on another site and heres what he said

so for those of you that are looking for an easy inexpensive way to kill these virus spreaders(bugs), one 20 lb tank will last you enough time to kill any bug in your garden, and its non toxic to your plants and the smoker.

5. Without a doubt, This is the finest post I have found to date. I have been searching for this answer for a year. This information NEEDS to go viral itself.
    How can we make this a sticky?

I couldn't find photos online that looked close enough to the problem, until now. These photos need to be in the plant problems section right next to spider mites. Hours and hours and hours of searching for a year have finally come to an end.

THANK YOU Friend! I will get the word out in my city..... If I have it, then there are others here as well. It seems to me that the grow shop could have been my vector.

I'm just glad that the agonizing search is over ( after 4 full cycles):hello::hello:

6. Physan is simply a solution of quaternary ammonium disinfectants ("quats"). The only "proof" that Physan has as to its efficacy on plant viruses is one paper from the 1950s or 1960s on cucumber mosaic virus. It was never published in a refereed, peer-reviewed journal. Oddly, nobody has ever challenged them on the issue of being virucidal, particularly with respect to a virus as robust, stable, and pervasive as TMV.

With this in mind, until there's some proof that involves rigorous testing, Physan and similar solutions such as Consan and any of the Lysol products that rely upon quats should not be considered effective on TMV.

7. A note to smokers
    the lactic acid in milk cuts the protein shell, evidently.
    When i was a teenager I worked tobacco. It's hard brutal work, and the farmer made us wash our hands with powdered milk if we smoked. I've looked into it a bit now that I'm a biochemistry grad student. from what I've seen, it couldn't hurt.
    and since you're doing it at a sink not the middle of a field in the heat of summer, you won't have to worry about reeking of sour milk half the day:)

8. Last I checked, nobody knew precisely why milk worked to reduce the transmission of TMV, although some suspected it was due to antibodies in the milk.

However, its efficacy wears off; annuals (like tobacco) don't live long enough for the effects to "wear off." Some have noted that using milk to prevent transmission with perennials wasn't effective. The structure of TMV is sufficiently robust that it can re-form from its component parts; if chemically denatured (TSP, etc.) and given the opportunity to reassemble, it will.

For those that perpetuate cultivars of marijuana through perpetual cuttings, milk is probably not the way to go. Either heat sterilize razor blades for cuttings, or use new blades every time. This may be one reason why nth generation clones show loss of vigor: they are infected with a virus (or viruses- there are hundreds) that are presenting in a non-traditional fashion.

9. Stumbled on this thread while researching TMV.I can tell you from experience that although it won't kill it, aspirin will render it harmless to your plants, and you can complete your harvest with no ill effects, although plants will still be infectious. Add plain aspirin to your nutrient solution @325 MG. per gallon. This boosts the plants immune system to a high degree, and will ward off most any disease. You can also spray the leaves with aspirin solution. Aspirin has saved my crops many times. It is a natural immune system booster for plants. Works wonders!

10. Is there any other disease or malady that looks like these symptoms? I mean, if some of these symptoms are present, could it be anything else?

11. Seen the splotchy look on leaves, and the leaf edges curling upward (tips curled up, some tips are dark brown) before.

At first thought it was due to low humidity and to much fan power. But while looking for other symptoms, saw the patterns on the leaves...and recalled reading about this virus.

Thought of physan 20 but was reading this info;
    Physan 20

items of interest are;

"WARNING: TOXIC TO FISH!"

"USER SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS
    \t\t\t\t\t\tUser should:
    \t\t\t\t\t\t
    • Wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet.
    • Remove clothing immediately if pesticide gets inside. Then wash thoroughly and put on clean clothing.
    • Remove PPE immediately after handling this product. Wash the outside of gloves before removing. As soon as possible, wash thoroughly and change into clean clothing."

Very leery of using toxins on something I will consume later...and that safety info really makes it sound like poison will be in/on the plant.

Has anyone been harmed by this stuff after using it on MMJ plants?

12. Last time I checked I wasnt a fish. But im thinking the same thing. Toxins around my plants that in gonna later injest/smoke. Not to good of an idea to me.

13. please tell me my babies don't have TMV!

The left one has some holes, and I thought they either come from fungus gnats or a pH problem.
    The middle and left one show some weird discoloration in the middle of the leafs.
    All of them tips are curled down...

Hope somebody can tell me whats going on! :(

Attached Files:

14. Thank you so much for this information - and how well thought out your presentation is. I would like to remind everyone that SHARING this information is critical. Share it EVERWHERE and OFTEN.

Much Thanks.

15. TMV doesn't cause holes in leaves; the one on the right has some interveinal chlorosis, which is a nutrient deficiency. To see what true virus infection looks like, do a Google Images search for "mosaic virus."

But always remember that virus infection in plants is like virus infection in humans: the infected may be asymptomatic, or symptoms may be something else entirely. Even lab tests aren't 100%, but they're better than the eyeball test.

16. Hey, Joe..I haven't been on the board now since I believe a year ago (hey LESS...zup?) and I lost an entire crop to the Mosaic Virus, I had an unknown strain that from the start looked like Zebra Stripes, and just like you said it does appear to clear up, but now I remember I had two of those, but the fan leaves died off all thru summer at an alarming rate, then Banana Kush, Frankenberry, Trainwreck, G-13 and Catalyst all got it. I'm gonna have to "scorched earth" my outside grow for next year, and darn near re-build my flowering room now. Thanks for the test kit info...do you know if the viral cell has a telomer disruptor? Anyway...big ups!

17. Hello, all! Seems this thread might be dead, but I read it for the first time just a few days ago and thought I'd throw my hat into the ring...

I got this plant from a dispensary about three years ago. It has been grown from clone for many, many generations. Looks like text book TMV. The plant has exhibited this leaf discoloration and lateral deformation since day one.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. So, perfectly healthy with the exception of the deformed leaf, no? ^^^^ These next pictures are from a different strain, bought from the same dispensary, cloned and grown along side the "infected" plant, for the last three years...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. #39 waktoo, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    I have purchased a TMV test kit to verify whether or not my plant is actually infected. But what I want to say is this...

I believe that it's very important not to have a knee-jerk response to this kind of thing. Which I most certainly did after reading this thread! But after a little bit of time spent on researching TMV and posting some queries on the organics thread, I've come to the conclusion that it is something else. In my personal situation, no other plants have been infected. I grow organically now, and therefore have a very low stress grow environment. Stress is supposed to bring out the viral expression in the plant. I have definately stressed this "infected" plant (and the "non-infected" plant) in the past. The point is that these specific leaf deformities can be caused by several things. It could be TMV. It could be genetic in nature. It could be stress brought on by light or other factors in your grow environment. It could be due to mismanaged chemical feeding. Troubleshooting is a bitch, I know. And I am aware that TMV is a real issue for growers of all sorts of consumable plants. But don't freak out and cut your plants down. If your garden is infected, it will have to be sterilized before planting again anyway. Grow your plants out. See if the whole garden is showing symptoms. RESEARCH!

Anyway, my 2 cents...

WAK

20. Doesn't look viral to me- not mosaic virus, anyway. Do a Google Images search for mosaic virus, and you'll see what mosaic really looks like- mottling of leaves.

If in doubt, get a healthy plant from seed- a male will do- and crush a leaf from an "infected" plant to juice; wound a part of the healthy plant, and apply juice from the "infected" plant. Stress the plant that has been inoculated- a little less water than it should have, a smaller pot, etc., and look for symptoms to appear.