Electro-Culture Experiment; 50-65% yeild increase???

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by boatdock, Jun 19, 2010.

1. I hope you know increasing the voltage and decreasing the amperage will get better results.

If someone has a step-up transformer they could hook up 120VAC from their house and have it running at 480vac or higher with a very low current (10mA) and that would still put out 4.8watts ideally which is nearly the same as the 5.0v .7a cell phone charger.

Perhaps even 5mA would be better.

2. Subd. This is fascinating. I have a plant in DWC I would like to fool with. Maybe I will put one electrode in the bucket and the other...? hmmm

3. i am also running a dwc, and would love to take advantage of this. although im skeptical of plugging my bucket into my wall.

any electricians have any input?

4. would a charger of 12 vdc - 300ma be better?

5. Yes. Use DC current and definitely NOT AC current.

6. Robert A.Nelson: Hemp Husbandry ~ Electro-Culture (Ch 5)

I poked around this site for a while and this guy seems like a quack. I wouldn't put much faith in what he says. There is little info out there. I found 1 study by a University in Iowa done in 1979, but it was behind a paywall so I couldn't read it.
    Most people who have done it cannot reproduce their results accurately. This leads me to believe that either it doesn't work, or is a very difficult technique.

7. Read the older thread.
    So I might do this. For a hydro setup, I guess I would put 1 lead in the rockwool and the other in the bucket. I just wonder if polarity matters. I think you would want the electrons running to the roots out the rockwool. Similar to how the water flows, ya know???

8. IDK. It's really way over my pay grade to be straight up about it. I recall reading the brother's thread up until around apr/may or so and I think it kind of got off into the weeds or something and I bailed on it. But I recall he did some pretty exacting tests and it seemed plausible at the time...

If you get on this and get results good or bad we'd all like to share that with you :D

Hope the trail leads you to good places. Peace!

9. Ive been reading about this for some time now.

I was thinking, what if you did a deep water culture grow with a metal mesh in the middle of the bucket, which could help spread out the root mass. Then, use a metal ScrOG on top of the plants.

This way, you've provided the path of least resistance being a trip through the plant from bottom to top.

Any other results from this?

10. exactly

11. I think I'll try hooking up one of my White Widow clones. I've got 4 that are (as rumple stated) very similar in growth speed, and were cloned and transplanted at the same time, all sharing the same treatment and conditions.

It would be a good starting point and with 4 samples, I could run 2 controls and 2 independents. Or I could run 1 as a "root screen - canopy screen" charge and the other as a "root mass horizontal" charge to see the difference in the two methods.

My questions:

How do I "downstep", or "buck" a DC transistor to a lower amperage with the lowest investment possible? I've seen some MOS chips and schematics online, but none of that's within my Tools/Supplies/Experience range. I'm wondering if there's an alternative (aside from buying a new transistor).

Should I be using a Zinc lead or a Copper one, or should I be using one of each to create a natural galvanic movement (doubtful?).

Stimulus schedule? Only daylight...yes, but constant stream or intervals?
    --

12. i do agree..genetics are different in seeds ...clones would be better for comparison

13. Lol thank god for Rumple to calling this one out early. You know that the ebay links were coming up next to doop some poor bastards

14. #55 GrapeStreet, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
    I'm not as much interested in the fallacies of the OP's logic. Yes, his original experimental model was flawed because he chose to use seedlings. Yes this can be corrected by using clones "of equal merit."

I'm more interested in the underlying science behind the hypothesis. Electrolytic stimulation of the metabolic reactions and nutrient transportation of the plant, increasing growth speed and vigor and lowering necessity for photosynthetic cells (aka. fewer fan leaves) using low current DC stimulation.

I'm mostly interested in minimizing the current of a DC transformer at the moment. Haven't had much time to experiment.

--
    Here's the results of someone elses experiment, using a common house plant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. So what's a good working range? I'm really interested in this.

16. I dont understand fully.
    What should i use to create a voltage that wont kill or ruin the plant?
    And how would i go about controlling the current to go through the plant and then dissipate after? Without causing anykind of firehazard. Things are sketch enough in the small room as is. lol
    Another thing if you think this stuff is interesting, is using ultrasound to increase harvest.
    I imagine using ultrasounds and electroshock together along with SOG or SCROG and topping would create some Mindnumbing Budha :hello::smoke::smoke::smoke:
    :eek:

17. #58 GrapeStreet, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
    I have no idea. Help me get some real research behind this. All I can find is Hogswallop and some research done at the turn of the last century, fairly out of date, though not invalid.

I've done some USon. experiments without controls. Results were very positive, but again, no control group. I even found a 400W ultrasonic system online. If you had the bones for it, it could potentially stimulate an entire room.

I feel ya, I'd love to figure out how to run a cyborg plant, replacing some natural functions with technological replicas and boosting it as much as possible...may not be commercially feasible, but I'm more concerned with the science than the commerce of it.
    As far as I've read, the idea is to increase salt content of the medium (slightly) to enhance conductivity. Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate, a good source of Mn for your plants) is used in one of the tests.

Then, running a DC (ONLY) current with a high voltage but very very low amperage (current). Some of the tests were talking about 10mA current with over 200V...I'm thinking closer to 12-24v @ 100mA or less using a DC transistor that already has a Hi V/Lo A ratio.

Another thing that must be considered is natural electolysis occuring due to the current. If enough juice is put through, you'll end up separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen in the water, possibly increasing relative Dissolved Oxygen content in the soil, or possibly creating a hydrogen/oxygen time bomb in your grow cab. If not ventilated properly, a spark from a ballast could ignite the H2:O2 rich air, literally causing a (very short lived) firestorm, igniting the air itself. I doubt this would benefit any botanical growth...highly doubt it... :D

The point is to get the electrons to flow steadily, but slowly through the plant's internal cells. To do this, the Live and Neutral wires should be as far apart as possible, creating maximum resistance in the form of "plant cells". If the wires are attached too close, or in the wrong configuration, the electricity will (as it always does) choose the path of least resistance and skip the plant entirely.

Most of the experiments were "soil" based currents with leads spread out on opposite sides of the root mass, or with a split root ball growing in separate charged pots (like above). I thought it may be good to use a Subterranian/Canopy path, so that electrical stimulation is forced through the roots, stem and foliage. Passing through the entire plant and speeding up the "Z-Cycle"

One issue with this would be connectivity. If there's not enough foliage in contact with the grid, the resistance of the circuit will change and might be too much for the plant. Some form of guaranteed contact points would be nice, possibly wrapping conductive wiring around the top stems?

Here's a great article breaking down the chemistry behind photosynthesis and other plant reactions.

http://rsc.org/Education/Teachers/Resources/cfb/Photosynthesis.htm

18. #59 findme, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
    oh... femmed clone plant seeds. that would be scientific too.

wait so.. does this actually work or not?

19. Even in that case, there's a chance for genetic mutation from one generation to the next.

And I'll cite a very scientific source...Jurassic Park

"Life finds a way"