Portable AC/Heating Units?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by LuvDaMuff, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Anyone using any good portable AC units that they can recommend?

I have been considering one with heat if they have that option and it is cost effective as during winter 12/12 it can get cold.

Room size is very small as its a bathroom.

Thanks.

2. I recently dropped like 400 on a portable a/c (no heater built in) but i had to take it back cause it just ended up causing my humidity to skyrocket and the heat was fluctuating between 85 - 95 every ten minutes. Plus those things cost a ton of loot to run (as much as my 2000 watts of lights!!) I dont know if some work better than others but my advice would be to get yourself an air cooled hood and just circulate the hot air from the bulb not the whole room it is a lot more energy efficient too. btw u can get a space heater for like 20 bucks if its still too cold in there in the winter. good luck:D
    the one I originally purchased was a danby from home depot, dont know if that matters.

3. I just got my chiller, finally... after two months on order. Cools the room and equipment via cold water radiators heat exchangers. I'm cooling six thousand watts of Sunpulse MH lights in a 11x11 flower room. They make smaller units too. 1/4 HP is recommended for each 1000W of lighting. Setting the temp on the chiller to 20 deg. below ambient, or lower, will air condition the room.

http://watercooledgardens.com/product.php?productid=16282&cat=266&page=1

4. Thanks for the info. I have to try something as Summer's are killing me!

That chillking looks impressive.

5. Shouldn't the AC unit be taking RH% down?

6. My thoughts exactly.^^ unfortunately not the case for me.:mad:

7. #7 I have this, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    I got the 300 dollar portable AC from home depot. The first I got literally worked for 15 seconds. But they replaced it no questions and the guy said that was the first one he'd seen come back.

Anyway, the replacement is in a 15x20 or so room and it set to 72 and keeps right there, very little fluctuation unless I open the door and let it help me cool the rest of the house.

Was it worth 300 bucks to never worry about temp anymore? That's an individual decision but for me it was well worth it.

8. Sounds like you may not have had it properly vented? That just doesnt make sense. Perhaps the purchase coincided with large rain event in your area?

9. Good info, spending $300 is absolutely worth the piece of mind and not destroying beautiful crops cause of leaving the house for one weekend.

Can you provide any more details on the unit you purchased? Make / Model?

Thanks.

10. I bought that LG unit today, looks like it will work perfectly once I figure out how I am going to exhaust it. Throws out some cold air for sure!

11. Did you have the x-haust set up to dump outside the room?
    Man that just doesn't sound right.
    Just courious,
    S.S.

12. Been a life saver for me this week, I got mine just in time. It kept up every day during the heat wave until around 4 in the afternoon and stayed a little behind until the sun went down, but for the most part I have total control over my temps, which is fucking awesome.

13. I learned since the last time I was in this thread that these portable AC units use the condesation to cool the compressor or something like that, so anyway, my room stays the same humidity as outside, within a couple of percent. So...

I think you are likely pulling in fresh air from the outside when your unit is running which is causing it to balance with outdoors, or yours is built different and perhaps you need to install a drain.

The humidity here was in the 80's the other day and so was my room. I drained it to see what would happen and it dropped the humidity about 5% for about an hour.

14. Ive beeen thinking about a portable ac unit myself but i cant cut up the walls to run the exhaust out i was thinking having it just at the closet door would this work?

15. no you're going to need to exhaust it. THis things blows exhaust like all get out. I have 4" inline fan cooling my light and the AC unit blows probably 10 times harder than it, and it's hot humid air.

How far is there a window from your closet door? It comes with a easy little setup to mount in the window and it's standard 6" ducting so you can buy some and extend it a little. I wouldnt go crazy though i dont know what the fan is rated.

16. My window is probably 8ft from my cab, maybe run it up the wall inside the attic, what would be another option for cooling. Im switching out ice packs behind the fans to help keep temps down

17. That ice pack shit doesnt work well for long, I tried that once, if I remember correctly I got about 3 degrees for an hour for a gallon of frozen water, it was exhausting.

I think you would be ok running the ducting 8-10 feet or so. let me go look at what it comes with.

well I cant find what it came with, I know I saved it, anyway, mine is run about 6' to a window.

18. I had the exhast run thru some 6" flex ducting about 8 feet to the outside. maybe I should have been using insulated ducting, or maybe my 11,000 btu unit was just too large for my 6x11 space. either way i know yall are gonna doubt that i had it set up properly and there is no way to prove myself so ill just leave it at that.:rolleyes: One thing is for sure tho those units use a ton of electricity so watch out for that bill. my air cooled hoods and 30pt. dehumidifier keep my room steady 85 and 45% for cheap. just my opinion. dont beat me up too bad.:smoke:

19. Your telling me ive been doing it for 2 weeks now lol. Im thinking of just running it up the wall into the attic seems like the easiest way for me with how the closet it located.