Lucas Formula 2.0-How to maximize the Lucas Formula

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by DrTrichome, Jun 8, 2010.

1. After running the lucas formula and switching over to house and garden, I will never go back.

2. #122 findme, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

If you are truly worried about that, then water cure your weed for a week, you would have some clean ass and smoothest weed you ever had, sure it won't have much bag appeal but that's true medicine. Then again if you are consistant, you should be vaporizing too lol.

3. I really like H&G's stuff as well. This method of feeding works great with their line as well. In fact, it was the guys over at House & Garden that originally gave me the idea of tracking the direction of the TDS to determine the optimal strength of the nutrient solution. However, once the shooting powder gets in the mix, this method no longer shows much accuracy so but at that point you will have a good idea of what they need.

4. I've been following this thread off and on for a while, still great stuff, good to hear it's still alive.

When you guys mention DWC, do you mean just Bubblebuckets? Or does DWC include Hempy Buckets as well? I've been letting the run off from my buckets drop in ppM for the past week or so in anticipation of harvest, but I'm still wondering if I should do a full on flush or not.

5. Its totally up to you. With hydro, flushing is not necessary, but I always tell people, don't take my word for it. If you have more than one plant, flush one and not the others, then you have a comparison to see for yourself. I do not flush my plants and have had nothing but smooth awesome tasting weed.

6. Well Flushing is mainly to get the nitrogen out of the plant. So what I started doing was switching to a nitrogen free mix at the end and dropping the ph to 5.4 to lock it out. I still do a pure water flush if it looks like it needs it but that is only in the last few days.

7. Well, in non scientific terms, most people flush for

1 better tasting/smoother buds
    2. burning to white ash
    3. no snap, crackle and pop of their herb,

Well, since I do not flush, and my weed is super tasty and smooth, burns to white (Well, not anymore, I ony vape nw since february), and has no snap crackle and pop, I have proven to myself that flushing is a myth and is not needed. Others may feel otherwise, and can post what they want. I proved it to myself with real word results, which means more to me than reading what is supposed to happen. I know what actually does happen.

Anyway, did not mean that in a rude way, was not blasting you for your response. I just like to let people know that flushing in hydro is a myth and is not needed to get really awesome tasting/burning weed.

Most of the long time vet growers around here have also stopped flushing as they also have found it to be an unproven myth.

Peace.

8. I have gone without flushes before, but some of my strains seem to do better though with flush. Example Strawberry Blue comes out crisper fruit flavor with the flush but then my Yumboldt 47 tends to do better without the flush. I have tried my strawberry cough with flush but believe it would be a better no flush because of the speed which it goes nitrogen deficient. My belief is that the strains which tend to be nitrogen hungry throughout there whole life do better without the flush, while as those who process their nitrogen at a slower rate benefit with the flush.

9. If this is the case I still don't understand how just Maxibloom is Lucas Formula at

5-15-14

10. Flushing's in Queens, NY - also for toilets. ;) Curing or decarbing non flushed plants is a lot better. I do a res change once/week and I think that does much better than starving your plant.

Anyway I came here to see DrTrichome's 1st post about topping off your res as I bookmarked this months ago. Seems black and white "Gospel" truth and classic example of KISS method. I like the bluelab meters btw, good investment.

11. Using any type of formula like this is the exact opposite of advanced, its just lazy.

12. #132 Stonefree90125, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    Just topping off w/RO water or just adding same nute ratio to top between res changes and not checking pH or EC would be lazy, yes.

13. I'm sorry but nothing about growing is lazy....if ppl have an easier solution to reduce the amount of hair pulling that getting a good nute mix can bring some ppl...then I'm all for it sir!:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. this thread helped me out a lot..thank you very much!

May I ask if you could explain the house and garden method? Never heard of it.

16. I know it's a old Post but I really didn't want to make yet another Lucas formula thread. I've been researching this formula for quite a while and something has occurred to me. I currently use the general hydroponics Flora trio and I use all 3 formulas. (Grow, Micro, Bloom) and have never used that many mls of nutrients. If I were to go with 8 ml of micro and 16 ml of bloom is 24 ml. I currently use only 5ml of each during veg a total of 15 ml and I change up in flower so I'm using no grow and 6ml of micro and ,8 ml of bloom. 14 ml total.

I want to make sure everyone knows that I'm currently growing in soil. I'm gonna switch to hydroponics this next winter.

My question is this. How does the Lucas formula save money If you have to use so much more nutrients?

Thanks for all your help in advance

17. #137 WW2018, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    The amount of nutrients used in DWC is greater than the amount used in soil. Take a look at the feeding schedules on the GH website and compare the recirculating (DWC) program and the drain to waste (soil) program. The DWC takes almost double the amount of nutrients. I wouldn't use these as your feeding schedule though, just as a comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ty

19. many soil grows in the past, but starting my first aero this september - great thread !!!

20. No doubt. Since this thread I've made the decision to go hydro. I'm building my first rdwc system over the summer for my Fall+winter+spring grow