Inconclusive Drug Test

Discussion in 'General' started by maximus100389, Jun 3, 2010.

1. So I took a piss test a couple hours ago, and it came back "inconclusive." After doing a little research, I found out that in order for a test to come back inconclusive I would fall into one or more of these categories:

1. Tester is a heavy smoker (daily)
    2. The tester took the test in the morning
    3. The tester skipped breakfast
    4. The tester is more than 20 pounds over weight
    5. Tester used Urine LuckTM additive.
    6. The lab was unable to find an adulterant

1. I haven't smoked in over a month (I was somewhat chronic before that)
    2. I took the test at about 4:30 PM
    3. I ate 2 eggs and cereal plus a glass of water in the morning. However, I was super hungry before going to my interview and decided not to eat right before so my breath wouldn't stink or something.
    4. I'm 6' 1" and only 175 lbs so I am almost underweight.
    5. Didn't mess with my piss at all
    6. This is where I am a little confused. I had a cold yesterday, so I took a double dose of Nyquil Nighttime (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine succinate).

They sent my piss to a lab for further testing. Two questions, does anything stand out that would cause me to get an inconclusive result? and will the lab testing be able to discover that I smoked over a month ago because of more sophisticated testing?

Thanks GC

2. I also just read that Dextromethorphan, when used in excess such as my double dose last night for my cold, produces similar effects as PCP, which is also tested for with standard drug tests. Not sure if that is relevant.

3. #3 Carl Weathers, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say that there is no detectable amounts of THC in your urine as you have not been smoking for a month, and the lab were not testing for dextromethorphan, doxylamine succinate or acetaminophen. There is no relation to PCP. You should be safe so long as they have not taken your hair for sampling.

4. I concur that they do not test for those drugs, but Dextromethorphan does have some measure of similarity (on the chemical level) to Phencyclidine that may cause it to affect drug tests:

and

MD Consult

5. I'm pretty experienced in the realm of drug tests, and I don't know if I've taken the same piss test you have, but in order for a result to come back inconclusive on the piss test I had to take, you would probably have had to had watered down piss (possibly not on purpose, but they often test for some chemical in the piss, and if it's low they figure you tried to water down the piss by drinking too much water or adding water to the sample) or you might have had a level of THC below the threshold for a positive (i think its like 20ug/l or whatever the measurement for that is, i can't remember, but it's around 20) but it still showed up. That is all I can figure, and depending on what type of test you took it could be inconclusive for different reasons, but for a traditional test (such as for probation) that's kind of how they work.

6. #6 Carl Weathers, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    At a glance there didn't seem to be any feasible way, as the molecules are fairly different in structure. That one anecdotal piece of evidence doesn't convince me otherwise to be honest, the guy could have been taking PCP. But I guess you can easily explain things to them if they come back pointing the finger at you for PCP abuse heh.

Anyway, this interested me to do a bit of reading into the metabolites.

DXM Metabolism:
    A urine metabolic ratio of dextromethorphan and 3-... [Pharmacotherapy. 1999] - PubMed result

PCP Metabolism:
    (Just as a side note, apparently one metabolite binds irreversibly to neurons... spooky shit. Glad to say I've never tried PCP).

I am hereby losing a lot of faith in the analytical world!