The Grasscity Magazine Launch

Your new #1 Marijuana Resource, check it out and Disqus(!) Grasscity Magazine, share the love blades!

topping autoflowering plants

• by 360wayvin
  • May 28 2010 02:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 360wayvin
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

can sum one tell me if its possible to top an autoflowering plant, and if so with the short life cycle how many tymes do u think i can top it b4 it get to the flowering stage.? help me out let me kno sompin
Replies (10)

• mortiis11
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

everytime you top it you are causing the plant stress and slowing down growth and with an autoflower thats realy not going to help the little babies ion my opinion

• Banned

• holiwood420
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

don't do it. by the time it takes to grow 2 new tops, it will cut short your flowering time by at least a week, maybe 2. being they show sex at 21 days (before the 5th set of leaves arrives), it's not worth the stress and loss of yield, which is what will happen.

• high

• farmer zack
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

i'm interested in the answer to this question as well, and would very much like to hear from somebody who has done it themselves. many seem to think it's a bad idea, and yet others claim to have done it, and with good enough results.

edit: and to holiwood420-- i don't mean to imply that i don't believe what you say, i'm just curious to hear more.

• Banned

• bulletcatcher
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to. Autoflowering plants end up super short anyway.

• high

• farmer zack
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to. Autoflowering plants end up super short anyway.

this may be true in many situations involving autoflowers, but not all. i for one have grown some auto-ak47 that reached over 3 feet tall. not a record height for an mj plant, i know, but definitely too tall to cram into a tiny stealth box.

currently, as a just-for-giggles grow to pass time till i can again run a legit setup, i'm growing another auto-ak47 in a space without too much vertical room. i've thought that, if it seems feasible at all, topping the girl may keep her short enough to flower comfortably.

• Release the Monster!

• Norcali
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

Why top? LST. Ty down gives you all the same vertical control without the stunt in growth.

• (ow-rye-sis-straw-kur)

• ohraesisstrakur
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

I agree with Norcali, when she gets about 3 nodes high, just pin her down sideways. All your secondary branches will start reaching up and become individual colas.

• high

• farmer zack
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

ah of course. that i shall likely try. thanks guys.

• Banned

• holiwood420
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

lst would be much better suited for auto's than topping (just from my experience). my auto's never got to be quite 10" tall, but i have seen some monsters on here. i guess each plant is different and should be treated as such. lst or topping wouldn't have helped mine at all but i have seen others where it would have been ideal.

i didn't take any offense to it, i'd want more opinions too, i was just relaying personal experience :)

• PipPipPip
  • 360wayvin
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

i'm interested in the answer to this question as well, and would very much like to hear from somebody who has done it themselves. many seem to think it's a bad idea, and yet others claim to have done it, and with good enough results.

edit: and to holiwood420-- i don't mean to imply that i don't believe what you say, i'm just curious to hear more.

yea i kno. thats what was confusing me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 1999 - 2015 420Network BV | All rights reserved