Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

How hot is too hot?

• Please log in to reply

ohraesisstrakur

ohraesisstrakur

(ow-rye-sis-straw-kur)

• Registered Upgraded
  • 224 posts
So I've heard many varying things both on this forum and in books on the subject.
Some people think 80f is hot. The Cannabis Grow Bible says heat stress begins near 85f and that 75f is the optimum temperature, while I've also heard 84-86f is the optimum temp and plants can tolerate up to 90f fine. What are your opinions on the subject? How hot is too hot?

Similar Topics: How hot is too hot?     x

ohraesisstrakur

ohraesisstrakur

(ow-rye-sis-straw-kur)

• Registered Upgraded
  • 224 posts
35 views and no one has an opinion?

SmurfyBH

SmurfyBH

Snowy Buds

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,965 posts
Depends on the strain I say. I'd assume sativa's take better to heat than indica.

GratefulFloyd

GratefulFloyd

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I got 2 indicas and 1 sativa, My sativa is thriving with temp ranging from 78-95, One of the indicas is doing really well as well. The other one is having growth problems that may be attributed to heat stress or some sort of nute problem. I feel like plants can handle the high heat with other conditions being optimal ie Humidity, Nutes, pH. I feel like plants can handle the heat, especially since the can handle growing in outdoor environments such as India and the Middle East, which are just as hot.

ohraesisstrakur

ohraesisstrakur

(ow-rye-sis-straw-kur)

• Registered Upgraded
  • 224 posts
Yeah I agree that it could be very strain depent. It was just baffling me that someone would say 80 or even 85 was too hot. These plants are native to India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and so on. I know for a fact it gets a hell of alot hotter than 85 in those places. I also know I've grown outdoors thru 95f+ summers. Still if I see a 95 on my thermometer in my closet I might have a mini panic attack.

Sam87

Sam87

What?

• Registered Upgraded
  • 695 posts
Depends on the genetics. But generally, you want to stay below 85f to keep your buds nice and dense.

They can tolerate pretty much whatever on a short term basis. I had my fan go out once, box temp at 107, and they were happy as can be. But, if you're running Indica or Hybrid genetics, and are not running CO2, then around 75 is ideal. I shoot for 72, seems to be what my plants like best. But if you have to run at 80, it's not a big deal.

Also, outdoor plants are a bit different from indoor plants. They harden off quickly, and in ground their roots maintain a relatively stable temp. You have to remember that in containers, you're heating up that entire plant, and everything it takes in.

Edited by Sam87, 23 May 2010 - 10:59 PM.

ohraesisstrakur

ohraesisstrakur

(ow-rye-sis-straw-kur)

• Registered Upgraded
  • 224 posts
That's true Sam, but I was growing in containers outside, they still made it just fine.

Sam87

Sam87

What?

• Registered Upgraded
  • 695 posts
A Cannabis plant will make it pretty much anywhere, definitely nicknamed weed for a reason. It's the matter of fine tuning for yields and quality that's such a bitch. But all in all, people put waaayyy too much work into their plants. Don't get me wrong, attention to detail is very important, but the way some people treat the subject, you'd think that the damned things wouldn't even make it past a seedling in nature.

The bitch part of everything to do with growing, is that there is no set model for perfection. You need to get everything dialed in with the genetics that you have, not with what Cervantes or Rosenthal or Green has, you know? If the plant works for you, then it works for you. But you can always play with it to see if you can make it work better.

Makizushi

Makizushi

Fuck the Police!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,840 posts
Due to unchangeable circumstances, my grow tent is at 100 degrees when the light is on. Although the yield is smaller, I can still grow.

85 is too hot IMO
  • Delta9Cloud likes this

RWK Nova

RWK Nova

Maggot sack

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,054 posts
Well what about plants outside that grow in 100+ temperature sometimes.

Sam87

Sam87

What?

• Registered Upgraded
  • 695 posts
They don't yield as well as in a controlled enviroment. Or, they have/are adapting to their enviroment. Same as anything else with plants, you have an optimum range, and a tolerated range, which can both differ by way of genetics and other enviromental factors.

TexarkanaTim

TexarkanaTim

Green Thumb Warrior

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,111 posts
Both indicas and sativas can tolerate indoor temps into the high 90's if they are well watered and cared for. I regularly get temps in that range and still have good yields.

connollyuk

connollyuk

Joshuk

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My grow room normally sits around 100f or tad more but have had nice yields! my last grow was same as I'm doing 2 AK47 x Lowryder 2 (auto) and got just over 2 and half o'z dried per plant :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users