Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Aluminum foil bad or good?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: aluminum foil - good or bad (0 member(s) have cast votes)

aluminum foil - good or bad

1. It's good for you! (25 votes [9.65%])

Percentage of vote: 9.65%

2. It can kill a man! (147 votes [56.76%])

Percentage of vote: 56.76%

3. Beats me? (87 votes [33.59%])

Percentage of vote: 33.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

nizate

nizate

• Registered Upgraded
  • 174 posts
So what do you think, will it make you have alzhimers (misspelled?) or is it fine.

personally, I think it is cool to smoke out of. I've held it over a candle for 15 seconds, and it definitly doesnt burn. I smelled it and it didnt smell like anything but candle. I think it's great to make a makeshifter out of aluminum foil or a can.

Opivy

Opivy

Nova Police

• Old School
  • 4,685 posts
Its perfect in times of need if you dont have something better at your hands. BUT we all know that is sucks. No fun to smoke out of it, the smokes extremely hot and has a metallic kinda taste to it. Hell i still do it for G-bongs but thats about it. I use to make pipes out of nothing but alluminum foil hehe.

Skizool

Skizool

3 sheets to the wind

• Old School
  • 1,026 posts
yeah aluminum is definately a last resort

Cha-Chi

Cha-Chi

• Registered Upgraded
  • 191 posts
My ex used to be so ghetto about it and save her aluminum pipe. (SICK!) Also, watch the documentery 'Woodstock Three Days of Peace and Music' and you'll see footage of hippies (hippies rock) making these sick-ass pipes.

Opivy

Opivy

Nova Police

• Old School
  • 4,685 posts
Lol maybe a year ago someone made a post about smoking out of the ground. I thought that was the funniest shit..... Talk about ghetto

MadWickeDank

MadWickeDank

Blazin guru

• Registered Upgraded
  • 301 posts
id rather smoke out of my bare hand than use foil

Opivy

Opivy

Nova Police

• Old School
  • 4,685 posts
I dare you to try it.

Cha-Chi

Cha-Chi

• Registered Upgraded
  • 191 posts
I really want to try that so badly....

slope420jo

slope420jo

Vida*Guerra Pwns

• Registered Upgraded
  • 171 posts
its called glass :)

DancinJERRBEAR

DancinJERRBEAR

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 190 posts

Lol maybe a year ago someone made a post about smoking out of the ground. I thought that was the funniest shit..... Talk about ghetto

yeah i remember that... it never seemed very appealing to me to have muddy smoke. What if you inhaled an earthworm?

MadWickeDank

MadWickeDank

Blazin guru

• Registered Upgraded
  • 301 posts

I dare you to try it.

i did...

http://forum.grassci...ead.php?t=59346

PinG

PinG

\(._.\) (/._.)/

• Old School
  • 1,065 posts
It's not to good for you. Using it every once in a while can't be that bad though.

tweak0

tweak0

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I personally don't like smoking out of tin foil, but if nothing else is available, I'll do it, I know this guy, he makes some awesome-ass tinnies, there super strong, and work almost as well as some bowls

Mr. Gr3en

Mr. Gr3en

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
keep away from the foil, use a pringles can!

IndianaToker

IndianaToker

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 8,952 posts
Use the search button and you would have found your answer. ;)
http://forum.grassci...&highlight=foil

A number of environmental factors have been put forward as possible contributory causes of Alzheimer's disease in some people. Among these is aluminium.

There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely.

This information sheet looks at the circumstantial evidence and current medical and scientific views.

Researchers believe that, in the majority of those affected, Alzheimer's disease results from a combination of different risk factors rather than a single cause.

Such factors, which vary from person to person, may include age, genetic predisposition, other diseases or environmental agents.

The chief symptoms of Alzheimer's disease are progressive decline of memory and other higher mental functions. These changes are associated with the loss of brain cells and the development of two kinds of microscopic damage in the brain - the so-called plaques and tangles. Plaques consist of an abnormal deposit of a particular protein called beta amyloid between the brain cells. Tangles occur within cells and are formed from abnormal thread-like deposits of a protein called tau, which is normally part of the cell's 'skeleton'.

For a discussion of other factors see the Alzheimer's Society information sheets: Am I at risk of developing Alzheimer's disease? and Genetics and Alzheimer's disease.

Evidence linking aluminium and Alzheimer's disease
Posted Image

The 'aluminium hypothesis' was first put forward in 1965 when it was shown that the injection of aluminium compounds into rabbits caused tangle-like formations in nerve cells.

However, these experimental tangles differ in structure and composition from Alzheimer tangles and the human brain.

Since then a number of other circumstantial links between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease have been claimed.

• Aluminium has been shown to be associated with both plaques and tangles in the Alzheimer brain. Some groups have disputed these claims and, in any case, the presence of aluminium does not prove a causal relationship - it is more likely to be a harmless secondary association.
  • It has been claimed that the brain content of aluminium is increased in Alzheimer's disease. However, recent studies in which Alzheimer brains were carefully compared with normal brains failed to find any difference in the overall amount of aluminium.
  • Various investigations have suggested that Alzheimer's disease is more common in areas where the aluminium content in water supplies is highest, but the method and results of these studies have been questioned. In any case, the amount of aluminium present in water supplies is minute compared with other dietary sources.
  • Studies of other sources of aluminium such as tea, antacid medications and antiperspirants have also failed to show a positive association with Alzheimer's disease.
  • People with kidney failure are unable to excrete aluminium and yet they frequently have to be treated with compounds that contain aluminium. Studies of the brains of such patients have shown that aluminium accumulates in nerve cells that are particularly vulnerable in Alzheimer's disease. However, even after years of high exposure to aluminium, patients with kidney failure do not develop dementia or the hallmark pathological changes of Alzheimer's disease.
  • Treatment with desferrioxamine (DFO), a drug which binds aluminium and removes it from body tissues, has been reported to slow down the mental decline in patients with Alzheimer's disease. However, the effect is small, the drug has to be given by injection into muscle and it also has a major effect on iron stores in the body. Since there is evidence that iron is involved in age-related 'oxidative' damage to tissues, the effects of DFO may have nothing to do with aluminium.
  • There have been many experimental studies on animals and on isolated cells showing that aluminium has toxic effects on the nervous system, but in almost all cases the doses of aluminium used were much higher than those occurring naturally in tissues.
Sources of aluminium
Posted Image

The main sources of environmental aluminium are:

• Food - many foods contain small amounts of aluminium.
  • Packaging - food may come into contact with aluminium through packaging or using aluminium foil or trays for freezing, storing or cooking. However, the amount of aluminium added to food in this way is usually negligible.
  • Pans - cooking in uncoated aluminium utensils can increase the amount of aluminium in certain foods such as fruits which are high in acid. Cooking foods in coated, non-stick or hard anodised aluminium pans adds virtually no aluminium to food.
  • Medicines - many antacids used for treating indigestion contain large amounts of aluminium compounds but normally little of the aluminium is absorbed.
  • Water - aluminium is naturally present in some water and, in addition, aluminium sulphate is widely used in the treatment of public water supplies. However, intake of aluminium from water is very small in comparison with other sources.
  • Air - some aluminium from the air may enter the lungs as dust but this form is highly insoluble and hardly any reaches the rest of the body.
Only a minute proportion of the aluminium we ingest from these various sources is absorbed by the body, and even this small fraction is usually excreted in the urine or harmlessly deposited in bone which acts as a 'sink' to remove aluminium.

So effective are these mechanisms that it is estimated that the adult human body contains 30-50mg of aluminium - far less than the amount in a single antacid tablet!

The expert view on aluminium
Posted Image

There have been numerous conferences on aluminium and health ever since the idea that the metal might be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease was first proposed.

The medical research community, international and government regulatory agencies and the aluminium industry all review the evidence at frequent intervals.

The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present.

It has proved extremely difficult to devise studies which could resolve this problem one way or another.

Alzheimer's is a common disease with multiple causes, while aluminium is widepread in the environment and there are no methods that allow us to measure an individual's 'body burden' or lifetime exposure to this element.

It is possible that suitable 'transgenic' animal models which develop the pathological features of Alzheimer's disease in their brains will enable scientists to determine if such changes are accelerated or exacerbated by aluminium at levels which correspond to normal human exposure.

Link to article: http://www.alzheimer...o_aluminium.htm

hotsauc3

hotsauc3

Dr.GreenThumb '6o4'

• Old School
  • 1,583 posts
Like everyone here said, last resort. Just remember to burn it beforehand. Just in case there are any chemicals lingering around.

sirseedymcseed

sirseedymcseed

certified bud expert

• Old School
  • 1,139 posts
bad...it's bad for your fucking health. dammit, do some research and don't ask stupid questions. there's nothing cool about it. it was cool the first time we all got high and didn't have a pipe. then we learned better. if you're anything like me, you knew it was bad but you did it anyway because you had no pipe. but stop it. spend the 10 dollars and get a metal pipe. it's 10x better for tons of reasons.

Green Chile

Green Chile

• Registered Upgraded
  • 171 posts

bad...it's bad for your fucking health. dammit, do some research and don't ask stupid questions. there's nothing cool about it. it was cool the first time we all got high and didn't have a pipe. then we learned better. if you're anything like me, you knew it was bad but you did it anyway because you had no pipe. but stop it. spend the 10 dollars and get a metal pipe. it's 10x better for tons of reasons.

Good call.

tehpottestmofi0

tehpottestmofi0

connoiseur

• Old School
  • 1,295 posts
LOLOLOL i cant believe people actually said its good for you!!

aluminum foil messes you up, bad

Dr.GreenBud

Dr.GreenBud

I love domevision

• Registered Upgraded
  • 114 posts
hell yeh aluminum foil rocks cause i dont own a real pipe. If u use the foil make sure to get plain old generic foil. NOT REYNOLDS BAKERS EDITION ANTI STICK FOIL - that stuff has chemicals and crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users